No announcement yet.

6.5 Creedmoor build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad that worked out. Now, don't shoot your eye out!

Comment

Sounds like some good cs.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Tonight's trip to Frisco Gun Club was an overall success in regards to sighting the rifle in but not without a challenge. First and foremost, they were nazis about no pictures being taken in the range of any sort, flash or not, they didn't want it. Second, the rifle lane they stuck me on didn't have a table top that was perfectly flat, it was angled downward a pretty good ways, and this is where I ran into issues. I took a Cabelas bench bag (pictured below) with me along with a rear bench bag to shoot off of. The tabletop was tilted so far forward by rear bag became useless. If my bench bag was taller it would have been alright but I had to resort to bear hugging the stock instead of using a rear bag.

To add to the frustration, the scope was way off from the factory and needed a lot of adjusting and more rounds than I anticipated to sight it in. But after sighting it in, I was able to make a nice little group at 100 yards. To further comment, this definitely shoots like a budget rifle. The X-Mark Pro trigger isn't horrible but it's heavy and it'll be the next item replaced. I'd imagine how light the stock is adds to how much recoil this rifle has and definitely feels like more recoil than any other .308 I've shot, even with the fancy Remington recoil pad.

Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

On those factory stocks. They are very flimsy, if you have too much pressure it can contact the barrel and give you accuracy problems. In the meantime until you get a stock put rest/bag closer to the action and it will minimize some of the flex. Another option is to hollow out the forearm and epoxy/bed a rod to stiffen it up. I've done this with welding rods.

Comment

Also you might have to clearance the stock some when you add the new trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              On those factory stocks. They are very flimsy, if you have too much pressure it can contact the barrel and give you accuracy problems. In the meantime until you get a stock put rest/bag closer to the action and it will minimize some of the flex. Another option is to hollow out the forearm and epoxy/bed a rod to stiffen it up. I've done this with welding rods.
              How big of a space is needed to be hollowed out? Is this something that would require a drill press/mill or could it be done with a dremel?
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Dremel
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Yeah dremel is more than enough.

Comment

Today I had a nice chat with Aaron Roberts from Roberts Precision Rifles and we went over my build. I had a dozen questions for him and we bounced several ideas off of each other. After our chat, I've decided to take this build in a little different direction. Instead of using a Remington 700 action, having it rechambered, and machined, I've decided to go with a custom built action. Aaron told me what it would cost to have all the necessary work done on the action and that in the end, I'm still left with a Remington 700 action. For another $200 I can be into a custom action where I'll get more for my money. RPR has actions custom built by Defiance, which happens to be one of the most popular actions used in the Precision Rifle Series.

I'm down in Houston for work this week and I'm hoping to have enough time to stop by his shop to talk more with him about this build.

Comment

Defiance actions are really nice.

Comment

Unfortunately my time in Houston for work didn't leave me with any free time to stop by the shop to take a look at the rifles that RPR builds. For those that are following this and wonder who is Aaron Roberts, this is a good write up that tells a little about him.

People who actually work hard and succeed in what they do rarely think there is anything special about themselves.

People who actually work hard and succeed in what they do rarely think there is anything special about themselves.
                        By James Tarr

People who actually work hard and succeed in what they do rarely think there is anything special about themselves. Aaron Roberts, now in his third season as co-host of "Handguns TV" on Sportsman Channel, didn’t really think an article about him would be very interesting.

"Everybody’s heard people talk about their backgrounds," he says, "and mine’s no different than anybody else’s."

Coming from somebody who has been a U.S. Army Ranger, a Texas State Trooper and a head tactics instructor for Blackwater, that’s a very interesting statement.

Roberts grew up in Texas, and hunting and guns were a part of his youth. When he got out of high school he joined the Army. Half his time was spent in the 75th Ranger Regiment, the other half as part of a long-range surveillance team with the 10th Mountain Division.

"We worked in small, five- to six-man teams," he explains. "Our role was to go forward of friendly troops and do surveillance and reconnaissance."

When he got out of the military, he went back to college in Texas with the idea of completing his degree but had a really hard time sitting in classes, "listening to a bunch of 18-year-olds. I got to the point where I really needed to start doing something." That "something" was becoming a Texas State Trooper.

"Between getting out of the military and going back to work for the state, I started shooting competition," Roberts says. "I shot a little bit in the military but didn’t have time or money to really go after it too much."

The experience wasn’t what he expected, given his level of experience with handguns.

"When I first decided to go to a match, for about a week I was thinking these people do not understand what whirlwind is about to roll into there and start smashing them," he says. "But, like a lot of people have experienced, you show up and it doesn’t quite work out that way.

"You realize that the best shooters in the world are not in the military, and they’re not in law enforcement: They’re civilians. It’s because civilians care, and they’re spending their own money. I didn’t finish last at that first match, but I didn’t finish first, either. And people typically take that one of two ways: One, ‘Oh, well, you know, that’s BS, it’s not real,’ or two, ‘That’s an eye opener, maybe I need to practice.’ " Roberts practiced.

"I started shooting and fell in with some good folks, and in a fairly rapid amount of time I was winning regional and state championships, going to the national matches and finishing in the top 10 overall." Roberts prefers the simplicity of IDPA to the gamesmanship of USPSA competition.

A short time later he was offered a job at Blackwater. At first he turned them down, but they came back four months later with an offer for him to work as a full-time firearms and tactics instructor. He thought, "Well, that has a cool title, but it can’t be as cool as the title sounds." One trip to the Blackwater facility and he took the job.

This was in 2005. "When I got there the curriculum was good, but old and stagnant," he says. "When 9-11 happened, guys had been teaching the same stuff for years and years and years. Then the market opened and that money flooded in, and people said ‘Hey, we’ve got to come up with some newer stuff; we’ve got to win the contracts.’

"I go there and started outshooting everybody, and so they started implementing stuff that I was doing. I founded the Blackwater Shooting Team and was the captain of that. By the time I left in 2009 I was one of the lead staff firearms and tactics instructors."

His association with firearms trainer Larry Vickers led to a co-hosting role on the show "Tactical Impact" and from there came on board with "Handguns TV," now in its third season. These days, Roberts is living in the Houston area and operating RP Rifles–building high-end custom bolt guns for the hunting, tactical and competition crowd–and also operates his own firearms training company, Tactical Shooting Solutions.
                        Last edited by motoman; 12-19-2014, 11:35 PM. Reason: Link fixed

Comment

Working...
                        X