Odometer Fraud Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer Fraud Question

A friend of mine purchased a vehicle from a lot in town. She fell in love with it, and bought it quickly. Well, now she's having to throw money at repairs, so she stopped by the local Ford dealership to look at something new. They pulled the autocheck, and found that the mileage it was registered for in Texas is significantly lower than the previous registration in Ohio.

I'm familiar with the lot she bought it from, as it was the lot we would wholesale to when the dealerships couldn't move the car, but we didn't want to make a trip out to Adesa or Manheim. They don't bother with carfax or autocheck.

I know there are federal regulations that protect a seller from purchasing a vehicle with known odometer fraud, but they can argue that they didn't know. What will be her best recourse for getting the dealership to make it right?

Oh, and here's the VIN if anyone is curious about what the autocheck says. 1D8HB58296F172454

should have shown the car fox

Comment

Buyer beware

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
        A friend of mine purchased a vehicle from a lot in town. She fell in love with it, and bought it quickly. Well, now she's having to throw money at repairs, so she stopped by the local Ford dealership to look at something new. They pulled the autocheck, and found that the mileage it was registered for in Texas is significantly lower than the previous registration in Ohio.

I'm familiar with the lot she bought it from, as it was the lot we would wholesale to when the dealerships couldn't move the car, but we didn't want to make a trip out to Adesa or Manheim. They don't bother with carfax or autocheck.

I know there are federal regulations that protect a seller from purchasing a vehicle with known odometer fraud, but they can argue that they didn't know. What will be her best recourse for getting the dealership to make it right?

Oh, and here's the VIN if anyone is curious about what the autocheck says. 1D8HB58296F172454
        Sex Kitten,
        Check this website out http://www.lemonlaws.net/texas/consumerfraud.html
        The phone number to contact is listed at the bottom.

Originally posted by 78X View Post
        Buyer beware
        Not when the dealer has done something fraudulent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Sex Kitten,
          Check this website out http://www.lemonlaws.net/texas/consumerfraud.html
          The phone number to contact is listed at the bottom.

Not when the dealer has done something fraudulent.

I'll pass it along, but I think she's going to try to deal with them personally, first. I know that the wholesaler I worked for ended up with a car with an dirty odometer, but it was quickly caught, and the auction house was quick to buy it back.

Comment

What was the odo reading when purchased and what was the autocheck showing?

She signed an odo disclosure at purchase, but if it was over 100k at that point, whatever is shown is irrelevant. Lemon laws in texas only applies to cars under warranty.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              What was the odo reading when purchased and what was the autocheck showing?

She signed an odo disclosure at purchase, but if it was over 100k at that point, whatever is shown is irrelevant. Lemon laws in texas only applies to cars under warranty.
              It showed 60K when she bought it, and it was changed somewhere between the first and second owner, she's the third. There was no mention of odometer tampering until the dealership pulled the autocheck today when she went to trade it in. It showed one reading for the last time it was registered in Ohio, and she said it showed 3K less than Ohio when it was registered in Gilmer. She purchased and registered it in Longview.

Comment

Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                  It showed 60K when she bought it, and it was changed somewhere between the first and second owner, she's the third. There was no mention of odometer tampering until the dealership pulled the autocheck today when she went to trade it in. It showed one reading for the last time it was registered in Ohio, and she said it showed 3K less than Ohio when it was registered in Gilmer. She purchased and registered it in Longview.
                  Wait, 3,000 miles? Thats a typo somewhere, or someone read it wrong when they did an inspection. That isnt anything that is going to pile up to a hill of beans anywhere.

Tell her to quit buying Chrysler products if she doesnt like repair bills.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by baron von crowder View Post
                    tell her to quit buying chrysler products if she doesnt like repair bills.
                    quoted for the mother fucking truf

Comment

Wait, 3,000 miles? Thats a typo somewhere, or someone read it wrong when they did an inspection. That isnt anything that is going to pile up to a hill of beans anywhere.

Problem Reported! AutoCheck examined the reported odometer readings reported to AutoCheck for this 2006

Dodge Durango Limited (1D8HB58296F172454) and an indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found.
                      AutoCheck uses business rules to determine if reported odometer readings are significantly less than previously reported
                      values. Not all reported odometer readings are used. Title and auction events also report odometer tampering or breakage.

1 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported

310 08/02/2006
                      37,098 12/01/2008
                      37,098 12/01/2008
                      34,972 12/08/2008 Possible Odometer Rollback/Rollover
                      34,972 12/29/2008
                      54,527 11/09/2010
                      54,497 03/08/2011 not included in rollback calculation

Edit for better notation:
                      12/01/2008 OH 37,098 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION

12/01/2008 OH 37,098 Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE Service Contract

12/08/2008 GILMER, TX 34,972 SERVICE CONTRACT ISSUED Company

12/15/2008 GILMER, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL TITLE (Title #:23020039795134130) (Lien

12/29/2008 GILMER, TX 34,972 Motor Vehicle Dept. Reported)
                      Last edited by Treasure Chest; 11-12-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Yeah. I can't imagine someone taking that kind of risk to roll back 3k miles. I can see 30k, but not 3k.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                          Yeah. I can't imagine someone taking that kind of risk to roll back 3k miles. I can see 30k, but not 3k.
                          There are actually two discrepancies on the report. Either way, no other dealer is going to touch it with an odometer flag on the autocheck.

Comment

Looks like somebody typed a "4" instead of a "7".......

Simple mistake ;-)

Comment

I don't disagree that it could've been a simple mistake or an odometer guess when they wholesaler did the paperwork, but the fact remains that she won't be able to get a decent trade for it at a dealership. It's even going to be a pain to sell it private party, since she'll be obligated to disclose the discrepancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X