Whiskey aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
    Don, did it end up being the 15yr for the 12yr price?

49.99 instead of 68.99?

I looked when I was there, but wasn't sure how much they were taking off of the shelf marked 68.99 price
    The shelf price is the correct price, the Centennial by my work had gone and switched out ALL of the price tags and had the original price on the tag as well. 15yr Balvenie is typically $75-78, Oban is typically $70-76. B15 I got @ $65 and O14 @ $58
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• hmm, I guess they hadn't switched out the tags by 10am when they opened at the one over here. Everything I bought was cheaper at the register than the shelf price. Over here the B15 was marked at 68.99, and the guy said it would be cheaper at the register, I just didn't want it, and didn't check.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        hmm, I guess they hadn't switched out the tags by 10am when they opened at the one over here. Everything I bought was cheaper at the register than the shelf price. Over here the B15 was marked at 68.99, and the guy said it would be cheaper at the register, I just didn't want it, and didn't check.
        Should have grabbed it. I go to the Centennial by my office, and it's one that is staying open. They normally have Balvenie 15 ~ $77, so I was more than happy to pay $65ish.
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        dont downshift!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
          So do any of you enjoy rye? I have just recently turned over to liquor instead beer. It's tastier and settles well with me. I unfortunately can't buy some of this high Rollin stuff y'all got! I love Canadian whiskey along with rye and bourbon. Not a fan of scotch though. Suggestions?
          As far as rye, my local store in Roanoke has an Iowa rye that I only found in Iowa. It's called Templeton Rye Whiskey. Apparently al capone's favorite.
          I love a good rye. Bulleit is my favorite

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
          Want to go to the whiskeyfest next year? Strychnine and I were considering it but I had some stuff come up.
          Yeah, that sucked.

From the reviews I've read though we didn't miss much. If I go to one next year I'll go back to Pitt. The couple years I went to their event it was always classy, not overcrowded, and fun. On the flip side here's what people have said about the Dallas event.

Reivews
          It was a bust...!! Promoted as a premier upscale event for those who enjoy fine Spirits and like to mingle with others. What we found was a waste of time and money. Lets take the "dress code". Cocktail attire does not mean jeans and flip flops or t shirts. I do believe that cocktail attire was promoted and it sure was expected just not enforced. Although the venue was open it was still humid and those that did dress appropriately were driven out by the humid conditions. The tastings were nice once you got past the power drinkers looking for the free shots just to get plastered. If you enjoyed standing in lines for food then the catering was good. Also, the gambling tables were a joke... plotted in the middle of the event and always full of those thinking they were in Vegas. The commemoration glasses were nice yet the other promotional packages ran out early. Unfortunately, we were looking for a more upscale event with a true dress code and a little more order. Would have been nice to be able to mingle without sweating and trying to get past the power drinkers to actually taste some spirits. Some form of air conditioning would have been nice. Will most definitely NOT waste my money next year on this even. Promoted well just did not live up to expectations. We actually left the event after 2.5 hours and headed to Del Friscos to enjoy some good music, fine spirits, smooth piano music and good company in a temperature controlled environment This event was not worth the $125.00 per ticket for general admission.
          I totally agree with this review. We also went expecting an upscale event and instead spent 2.5 hours in one line after another before calling it quits. The event was way oversold and needed a much better organization for the crowds. Would not recommend.
          Just browsing through some photos online I can see that they didn't really do a whole lot to make it great.

It was in a hangar... hell, in the pic of the Crown Royal table the tablecloth looks like it was folded up for years and laid out just 5 min prior. They didn't even iron that shit. (yes, people notice that kind of stuff)

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
          they carry both of these at the costco by me.....good stuff for the novice whiskey drinker?
          Like Don those two are my go-to choices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            Like Don those two are my go-to choices.
            I'm glad that you have made Oban a staple!
            dont downshift!!

Comment

• Donald...
              Added two more today.

Left is the Oban 1996 Distiller's Edition, double matured 14 yr.
              And the Macallan 15 was too delicious to pass up this time.

For the record, the Big Daddy's (a Centennial store) at 30 / Eastchase was a madhouse. Not one bottle of bourbon in the place. Tomorrow is their last day

Yale, they would not haggle or bargain All the scotches were 20-40% off but they wouldn't go lower. I even tried a "hey, I'll buy another big bottle of scotch if you throw in some Chimay " and got denied.
              Last edited by Strychnine; 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Donald...
                Added two more today.

For the record, the Big Daddy's (a Centennial store) at 30 / Eastchase was a madhouse. Not one bottle of bourbon in the place. Tomorrow is their last day

Yale, they would not haggle or bargain All the scotches were 20-40% off but they wouldn't go lower. I even tried a "hey, I'll buy another big bottle of scotch if you throw in some Chimay " and got denied.
                Well done sir.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  I really need to get some whiskey stones. I think it was Robert that told me that if you use them though you need to use a special glass, otherwise they don't retain the cool hardly at all. Is that right? I really dig the glasses I already use, but I guess I can sacrifice.
                  Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  I have the stainless and soap stones, the soap stone ones last longer but are really only good for one glass of 2-3 fingers of whiskey.
                  Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  2 at a time, most come with 4 per set. So you swap them back in the freezer per drink. But having two sets would let you drink faster.
                  OK, so I'm not the only one. I use a regular tumbler for my booze. Nothing fancy like Robert's... and I have a set of 9 whiskey (soap)stones. I use like 4 / glass (1-2 fingers) and it really doesn't seem to do too much. To the point that I don't really use them anymore. I find myself defaulting to one ice cube instead of stones/water.

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                  one of these days I'd like to do a true scotch tasting to find my favorite
                  I'm in. Maybe we need to do a scotch gtg (private invite only, please) somewhere. Everyone bring a bottle of their favorite, and everyone can taste as much / little as they want. If we could get a dozen people in it would be a pretty good time I think. Bring the wife/gf but leave out the riff-raff? Depending on guest list and size I might be willing to volunteer our house.

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                  want to? fuck yes
                  can I? not so much
                  ¿por que?

Comment

• Also, I'm headed to CO for new yrs and part of our plan, in addition to some snowshoeing / hiking / etc is some whiskey and beer adventures.

I already know I'm bringing home a bottle of Stranahan's (trading for a bottle of TX) but I'm thinking about grabbing a bottle of this also (from Park City, UT):

Here’s the gist of Campfire Whiskey. Its a blend of a six year old bourbon distilled and aged at Midwest Grain Products (Formerly Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana or LDI), a 5.5 year old rye whiskey also distilled at the former LDI and aged in the upper floors of the famed Stitzel Weller Warehouses in Kentucky, and finally an 8 year old peated Scotch whiskey from the Scottish mainland. Global blending anyone???
                    "Straight rye whiskey, straight bourbon whiskey, blended single malt scotch whisky"

High West Campfire, The Best Bourbon Scotch Rye Whiskey I’ve Ever Had

Posted on July 28, 2012 by DrinkInsider

I remember as a kid I’d stand in front of a vending machine for what could have been an eternity trying to make up my mind. What was one to choose? M&Ms, Snickers, Funions… It seemed like the hardest decision I would ever have to make.

These days I’ve graduated from the vending machine to the whisk(e)y cabinet. I literally can stand in front of my selection of whiskey for ten minutes or more trying to decide if I’m in the mood for bourbon, rye, Scotch, Irish whiskey or some other random bottle that made its way into my home. There’s nothing logical about this decision-making process. It’s about tapping into your true gut instinct, wrangling your inner taste waves and making a decisive selection that will most certainly suit your mood.

It’s hardly an easy task.

Thankfully, David Perkins from High West Distillery must’ve been having the same decision-making problems as me because there really is no other explanation for High West’s new Campfire Whiskey. Seriously, what distiller thinks to blend bourbon, rye and peated Scotch together into a single bottle and release it to the public market, other than a distiller who is utterly troubled with decision making?

Okay, perhaps there were other reasons involved. Maybe Mr. Perkins is just an avant-garde, eternally curious and bad ass dude who likes to throw tradition out the window for mind blowing experimentations and science projects. Maybe he has a inner devil who likes to screw with people. Yes, that’s probably the case. I knew it when I met him a few months back that he was a deviously evil man who was using his scientific might to send people’s heads spinning into a whiskey abyss.

Well, whatever the reason may be, I’d like to take this opportunity to say, “Thank you. David Perkins of High West Distillery & Saloon, thank you for Campfire. Not only is this whiskey a fantastically delicious, surprisingly well-balanced and satisfying spirit, but it has made my evening whisk(e)y selection process much, much easier.” When in doubt, Campfire. Because, sometimes, just one style of whisk(e)y isn’t enough to satisfy the most discerning drinker’s palate.

But I digress. Let’s move on to the tasting notes.

On the nose you really do get a little of all the different whiskies in the blend. There’s not as much peat smoke as I was expecting at first, especially given the name Campfire, but there is a smokey malt component lingering around. As a peat-o-phile, I may have liked just a tad more of the burning embers, but I have a feeling Mr. Perkins knows what he’s doing. More distinctly I get dried golden fruit and cinnamon, toffee and a little floral vanilla and honey. The whisky definitely plays tricks on your nose as you pick up hints of bourbon and then it fades to Scotch or rye. Quite unique.

On taste, the whiskey is smooth and creamy, with a lot of sharp spice and pepper. Again, you get these sweet bourbon notes of vanilla, honey and marmelade and dry rye spice and then a mellow peat comes drifting in to throw you for a spin. As the spicy finish continues to build, traces of bourbon and Scotch keep jumping back and forth. I’m confused and in awe all in the same sip.

Try as I may to define this whiskey, it really is a unique beast that pushes down walls and defines its own terrain. I like Campfire. I like it a lot. Not just because it makes decision-making easier, but more importantly, because it’s one damn fine whiskey. 91 points.
                    Last edited by Strychnine; 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• They wouldn't haggle?

They're the ones with the, "EVERYTHING MUST GO!" signs.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Not sure if you saw the bottle of Stranahan's in my pic or not, the old lady's dad lives in Denver. Her sister is going up in a week and were having her bring a couple of bottles back.

Comment

Donald...
                          Added two more today.

Oh... It's SCRUMPTIOUS!

dont downshift!!

Comment

• Darth Vader ice cubes in my Blanton's

Comment

• I just ran by Spec's in Victoria, and grabbed some Knob Creek 9. Now my night will be awesome.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• And Han in carbonite meets TX whiskey

Comment

Working...
                                X