Whiskey aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blackout View Post
    Lol yea sorry that's by the Quart. Some people will ask more but if you keep looking and asking around you can find someone who has a buddy who had a friend who makes it and get it for a lot less.
    Whats weird is since i started making it I get people asking to buy it all of the time. I tell them Iv got a bunch and will give them a quart for free and then they dont want it. I guess getting for free takes away the mystique. We should meet up some time and trade shots of shine. Iv been wondering how mine tastes compared to other shine.

Comment

• This is badass.

SCOTTBASE, Antarctica (AP) — Talk about whisky on ice: Three bottles of rare, 19th century Scotch found beneath the floor boards of Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackelton's abandoned expedition base were returned to the polar continent Saturday after a distiller flew them to Scotland to recreate the long-lost recipe.

But not even New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, who personally returned the stash, got a taste of the contents of the bottles of Mackinlay's whisky, which were rediscovered 102 years after the explorer was forced to leave them behind.

"I think we're all tempted to crack it open and have a little drink ourselves now," Key joked at a ceremony handing over the bottles to Antarctic Heritage Trust officials at New Zealand's Antarctic base on Ross Island.

The whisky will be transferred by March from Ross Island to Shackelton's desolate hut at Cape Royds and replaced beneath the restored hut as part of a program to protect the legacy of the so-called heroic era of Antarctic exploration from 1898 to 1915.

Bottled in 1898 after the blend was aged 15 years, the Mackinlay bottles were among three crates of Scotch and two of brandy buried beneath a basic hut Shackleton had used during his dramatic 1907 Nimrod excursion to the Antarctic. The expedition failed to reach the South Pole but set a record at the time for reaching the farthest southern latitude. Shackelton was knighted after his return to Great Britain.

Shackelton's stash was discovered frozen in ice by conservationists in 2010. The crates were frozen solid after more than a century beneath the Antarctic surface.

But the bottles were found intact — and researchers could hear the whisky sloshing around inside. Antarctica's minus 22 Fahrenheit (-30 Celsius) temperature was not enough to freeze the liquor.

The bottles remained unopened as they were returned Saturday — if Shackelton couldn't have a dram, no one could — but their contents nevertheless formed the basis for a revival of the blend.

Distiller Whyte & Mackay, which now owns the Mackinlay brand, chartered a private jet to take the bottles from the Antarctic operations headquarters in the New Zealand city of Christchurch to Scotland for analysis in 2011.

The recipe for the whisky had been lost. But Whyte & Mackay recreated a limited edition of 50,000 bottles from a sample drawn with a syringe through a cork of one of the bottles. The conservation work of the Antarctic Heritage Trust has received 5 British pounds for every bottle sold.

The original bottles had flown in two combination-locked containers with Key to Antarctica in a U.S. Air Force transport plane from Christchurch on Friday.
      Antarctic Heritage Trust manager Lizzie Meek, who was part of the team that found the whisky, recalled its pleasant aroma.

"When you're used to working around things in that hut that perhaps are quite decayed and some of them don't have very nice smells, it's very nice to work with artifacts that have such a lovely aroma," Meek told the ceremony by radio from explorer Robert Scott's Antarctic hut which she is restoring.

"And definitely the aroma of whisky was around very strongly."

Comment

• Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
        Whats weird is since i started making it I get people asking to buy it all of the time. I tell them Iv got a bunch and will give them a quart for free and then they dont want it. I guess getting for free takes away the mystique. We should meet up some time and trade shots of shine. Iv been wondering how mine tastes compared to other shine.
        For sure man. I'm always down to give others stuff a shot. Tell ya what I have a few jars or this apple pie shine ill hold on to one for ya. It's really good.

Comment

• I had entirely too much Maker's Mark last night. Ouch.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by Yale View Post
            I had entirely too much Maker's Mark last night. Ouch.
            Totally unpossible my friend (you are cognizant of said drinkage enough to type about it = proof).

I was sloshing copious amounts of Weller 12YO last night. Very nice and tasty beverage.

David

Comment

• Pendleton's
              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                Totally unpossible my friend (you are cognizant of said drinkage enough to type about it = proof).

I was sloshing copious amounts of Weller 12YO last night. Very nice and tasty beverage.

David
                Dude, on the way back to Stephenville this morning, at approximately I-30 and Lancaster, I painted the side of my girlfriend's car when she couldn't pull over in time. I definitely had too much.

Comment

Dude, on the way back to Stephenville this morning, at approximately I-30 and Lancaster, I painted the side of my girlfriend's car when she couldn't pull over in time. I definitely had too much.

Fucking rookie. I am disappoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Fucking rookie. I am disappoint.
                    I had a very good time.

Comment

Lmao! Puss.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        Lmao! Puss.
                        Dead Flowers show shenanigans, FTW.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          This is badass.

SCOTTBASE, Antarctica (AP) — Talk about whisky on ice: Three bottles of rare, 19th century Scotch found beneath the floor boards of Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackelton's abandoned expedition base were returned to the polar continent Saturday after a distiller flew them to Scotland to recreate the long-lost recipe.

But not even New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, who personally returned the stash, got a taste of the contents of the bottles of Mackinlay's whisky, which were rediscovered 102 years after the explorer was forced to leave them behind.

"I think we're all tempted to crack it open and have a little drink ourselves now," Key joked at a ceremony handing over the bottles to Antarctic Heritage Trust officials at New Zealand's Antarctic base on Ross Island.

The whisky will be transferred by March from Ross Island to Shackelton's desolate hut at Cape Royds and replaced beneath the restored hut as part of a program to protect the legacy of the so-called heroic era of Antarctic exploration from 1898 to 1915.

Bottled in 1898 after the blend was aged 15 years, the Mackinlay bottles were among three crates of Scotch and two of brandy buried beneath a basic hut Shackleton had used during his dramatic 1907 Nimrod excursion to the Antarctic. The expedition failed to reach the South Pole but set a record at the time for reaching the farthest southern latitude. Shackelton was knighted after his return to Great Britain.

Shackelton's stash was discovered frozen in ice by conservationists in 2010. The crates were frozen solid after more than a century beneath the Antarctic surface.

But the bottles were found intact — and researchers could hear the whisky sloshing around inside. Antarctica's minus 22 Fahrenheit (-30 Celsius) temperature was not enough to freeze the liquor.

The bottles remained unopened as they were returned Saturday — if Shackelton couldn't have a dram, no one could — but their contents nevertheless formed the basis for a revival of the blend.

Distiller Whyte & Mackay, which now owns the Mackinlay brand, chartered a private jet to take the bottles from the Antarctic operations headquarters in the New Zealand city of Christchurch to Scotland for analysis in 2011.

The recipe for the whisky had been lost. But Whyte & Mackay recreated a limited edition of 50,000 bottles from a sample drawn with a syringe through a cork of one of the bottles. The conservation work of the Antarctic Heritage Trust has received 5 British pounds for every bottle sold.

The original bottles had flown in two combination-locked containers with Key to Antarctica in a U.S. Air Force transport plane from Christchurch on Friday.
                          Antarctic Heritage Trust manager Lizzie Meek, who was part of the team that found the whisky, recalled its pleasant aroma.

"When you're used to working around things in that hut that perhaps are quite decayed and some of them don't have very nice smells, it's very nice to work with artifacts that have such a lovely aroma," Meek told the ceremony by radio from explorer Robert Scott's Antarctic hut which she is restoring.

"And definitely the aroma of whisky was around very strongly."
                          That stuff was fan-fucking-tastic!!!! I haven't found a better scotch, yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                            That stuff was fan-fucking-tastic!!!! I haven't found a better scotch, yet.
                            Paterson actually created a second edition of it--The Journey-- that's available now. It's supposed to be even better.

Comment

• I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I always feel bad when I polish off a bottle of something I love, but then 5 minutes later I don't. And I don't think I've ever told someone they could not have a pour of something in my cabinet (though when it comes to some of the scotches I have specifically said, "you can only drink it neat or with water... mix it with coke and you won't get anything else" once or twice)

"Whiskey is for drinking not hoarding."

Your whiskey stash is probably better than mine

Published: January 22nd, 2013

Your whiskey stash is probably better than mine. “What!”, you might say. “You write a whiskey blog – how is that possible?” It’s possible because I drink the whiskey I buy. As in – I don’t hoard it. If I don’t like it, I give it away. If I love it, I drink it and especially share it with others.

You will find no more Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year in my cabinet because I got three bottles last year, planned on saving two, but the stuff is so damn good that I simply cannot force myself to keep it around. I bought two extra bottles of the Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch for 2012. I did so with the following mindset that I’m sure is familiar, “this stuff is great, and if I have two more bottles I’ll be able to savor and enjoy it for years to come.” Who am I kidding? This whiskey will be gone before the first tulip peeks its head above ground. And that’s just the way I am.

Yes, I’ve got some extremely good whiskeys around the house. Some you can find, some you can’t. Regardless, they’ll all be gone soon because I appreciate great stuff. The people that made these whiskeys didn’t do so for me to look at it for a decade. They did it for me to enjoy. And that’s what I do. Will I miss these bottles after they are gone? Yes, indeed, but they become a memory that is even better.

Drink your whiskey!

-Jason

Comment

• Has Larceny been touched on yet? Was at Goodys off 121 last night, and after eyeing a $92 bottle of Four Wood Woodford Reserve, settled on Larceny. Actually very good, very smooth.
                                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
                                X