X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    It's a 1969-1970 Ezra Brooks...

$10?

Or just let me know when you're in town and we'll grab some drinks.
    Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
    10 and a hand job?

Seriously, if the snatch master doesn't take it, mine!

David
    Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    Sounds good... and I'll even let Robert have the handy.
    SAAWWWEEEEEEEET!!!

Win!

Comment

• I want to recreate this pic one day:

Also, random:

Comment

• I did some stocking up today...

1 bottle each of:

Bookers
        Makers Mark
        Pendleton
        Lagavulin 16
        Laphroaig 10
        Laphroaig Quarter Cask

If anybody can score me some Ardbeg Uigeadail, I'll pay a finders fee. Would buy a case or more.
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• Nothing earth shattering, but a buddy surprised me with a bottle of TX over the weekend. I've always meant to grab a bottle but I've been on such a beer drinking/brewing kick lately, my funding has gone to that instead of whiskey. If you think you can save money by brewing your own beer, I've got bad news for you. Equipment will nickel and dime your ass to pieces. Anyways, the TX is being saved for something special.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
            Did you know that Rogue (the brewery that makes Dead Guy Ale) makes a Dead Guy whiskey?
            I thought if anyone knew, you would. I've been geeking it Total Wine lately, but I'm going to hit up the Spec's north of there next weekend.
            It looked a little light on color... I certainly didn't get any.

Well, good thing we didn't try any. Here's a review I just read:

Rogue Spirits - a Rant Without Cussing

I live in Oregon and have a lot of family on the east coast. I was planning a trip to North Carolina and wanted to bring some Oregon products along as gifts. We routinely bring Tillamook Cheese and Tillamook Country Smoker meats with us, but this time I was looking for something different.

The Rogue Brewery is 50 miles or so from my house. You know these folks - they make a variety of excellent beers and have been tremendously successful. They're now a nationally distributed brand and doing quite well for themselves.

Rogue started distilling spirits not too long ago, and while I had not tasted any of them their reputation gave me confidence in their product. I bought seven of their eight spirits: Oregon Single Malt Whiskey, Dead Guy Whiskey, Dark Rum, Hazelnut SPiced Rum, Spruce Gin, Pink Spruce Gin and Chipolte Spirit. They also make a white rum but that product was not listed on their website so I was unaware of its existence until after my purchase had been made - I had a co-worker that was driving past the Rogue facility buy the seven bottles listed on the website for me.

You can read descriptions of these various spirits here: http://rogue.com/spirits/spirits.php

This is not inexpensive liquor. The cheapest bottle was $30, the most expensive was $45. In total, I spent $266 + change on seven bottles. There is no sales tax in Oregon.

The purchase was made on a Thursday. My flight was on Saturday. On Friday I went to a few thrift shops and found an $8 hard-sided suitcase. I took two old sofa cushions (I work in the retail furniture & appliance business) and cut a foam insert for the suitcase. I made seven cutouts for the bottles and got them all packed for the trip

One of the bottles was intended for a friend that is a known whiskey connoisseur. I planned to give him the Oregon Single Malt.

On Friday I made a fateful decision - I did a Google search for reviews on Rogue Spirits. What I found was not encouraging.

I found this review: http://www.drinkspirits.com/gin/rogu...rits-reviewed/

Excerpt: "As a whole, the Rogue spirits clearly reflect a distilling program in crisis. Of the six spirits I tasted, at least three of them ranked as some of the poorest distilled spirits I have ever tasted."

Then I read some "user reviews" here: http://www.proof66.com/whiskey/rogue...y-whiskey.html

Quote: "If you are looking to experience what it must have been like to drink Whiskey during prohibition when aged whiskey meant they took the long road to the bar then this is for you."

My confidence sank. What had been intended as a gift was looking like a mistake. The kind of present you give your mother-in-law - if your MIL has hated you since the day you met her, if you know what I mean...

We made it to NC. None of the bottles broke - thanks to my sweet packing job - and on Sunday night we were joined by more than a few folks in my parents' back yard for some Netarts Bay Oysters (a real treat). We had a Rogue tasting party after dinner...

I should have set up a video camera. The looks on peoples' faces were priceless. If a dozen people tasted six liquors each, Rogue had 72 chances to impress. They got exactly one review that wasn't disastrous. One lady almost liked the Spruce Gin. She certainly considered it drinkable. The Chipotle Spirit was universally despised - honestly I don't know if that stuff would be suitable for cleansing wounds. It was horrible. Who am I kidding? It was all horrible.

I'd give detailed review of each but it would be a waste of time. They're all bad. Very, very bad. Do not buy them for anyone but your worst enemies, and if you do that brace yourself for severe retaliation.

Shame on Rogue for using their good name to market such an obviously inferior product. The cheapest rum at your liquor store is imminently better than this stuff, and is probably one-fourth the cost. For the price of some Dead Guy Whiskey you can buy a very good Scotch or single-barrel bourbon. Crown Royal is half the price of the Oregon Single Malt (which, to be fair, I did not taste - though my expectations are so low at this point that anything other than rubbing alcohol would be a pleasant surprise).

I won't be buying any more Rogue Spirits. In fact, I'm so offended that Rogue would market such swill that I'm not going to buy any more Rogue beers, either. Rogue has capitalized on their reputation as a brewer to sell a distilled product that is so inferior to anything I've ever tasted that I'm out - screw those guys, they're not ever going to see another cent of my money.

On the plus side, my buddy that was the recipient of the Oregon Single Malt did have some advice: every liquor cabinet needs at least one bottle that's only good for a bet or a dare. I gave him the Dead Guy Whiskey as well as the single malt, so now he has two.

For ARFcom GD rant certification only: Cocksucking motherfuckers at Rogue traded on their good name to trick my ass into spending my hard earned cash on their overpriced swill. Fuck them forever. Shit.
            Last edited by Strychnine; 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• I tasted some Yellow Rose TX "bourbon" last week. I was right to be skeptical... it had one interesting little note and then disappeared. $72/bottle could have bought some really good whiskey or twice as much hooch at the same quality level IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                Well, good thing we didn't try any.
                Agreed.

Comment

• Enjoying some woodford reserve tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                    Equipment will nickel and dime your ass to pieces.
                    That's the fucking truth.

Comment

• Enjoying some Angels Envy right now.

For the woodford fans you should definitely try this one. It's one of the head distillers from woodfords own creation.
                      07 f250-family truckster
                      08 Denali -baby hauler
                      52 f1-rust bucket
                      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

• Picked up a new bottle of Woodford and some Alaskan Amber and Spaten Oktoberfest at the new Spec's in Arlington today. Prices are decent, nothing earth shattering. Going to be working on the Woodford later.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          Picked up a new bottle of Woodford and some Alaskan Amber and Spaten Oktoberfest at the new Spec's in Arlington today. Prices are decent, nothing earth shattering. Going to be working on the Woodford later.
                          If you buy by the case Spec's is awesome.
                          Edit:
                          Case of liquor that is, not beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                            Enjoying some Angels Envy right now.

For the woodford fans you should definitely try this one. It's one of the head distillers from woodfords own creation.
                            It's alright definitely a mixing whiskey.

Comment

• Originally posted by BradM View Post
                              If you buy by the case Spec's is awesome.
                              Edit:
                              Case of liquor that is, not beer.
                              And even if they don't have a case, if you clear out what they have left, you get case price.

Case discount plus cash discount = getting paid to drink!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                                Case discount plus cash discount = getting paid to drink!
                                This statement makes me reevaluate parts of my life. Have I failed for never realizing this, or is that a tinge of success I feel? Bah, better not think too deeply

*pours a drink*

Comment

Working...
                                X