• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
    thats cute
    My booze game isn't very strong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...link/26143153/

FRANKFORT, Ky. – A Franklin County grand jury indicted nine people Tuesday in connection with Kentucky whiskey thefts dating back to 2008, possibly including the notorious heist of 65 cases of Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve.

The charges of engaging in organized crime, which is the equivalent of racketeering, were handed down against Buffalo Trace Distillery worker Gilbert Thomas "Toby" Curtsinger, two other Kentucky distillery workers, and Curtsinger's wife and father-in-law, among others.

Authorities say the syndicate stole bourbon from the Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey distilleries, sold it and also trafficked in anabolic steroids.

USA TODAY
        Heist of Pappy's bourbon still tastes sour, one year on

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Zachary Becker said that the Buffalo Trace-made Pappy Van Winkle bourbon involved in this case could have been part of the larger, well-publicized "Pappygate" from 2013, but he added that "is more for Buffalo Trace to figure out and their inventory issues."

He added, "When it comes to us, we were able to determine that there was a certain, very large amount of Pappy Van Winkle stolen by members of this syndicate, by Mr. Curtsinger and then thereafter sold to various individuals."

Asked his opinion of whether the indictments included Pappygate bourbon, Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton said the behavior has been ongoing since 2008 and "this is probably the tip of the iceberg." He said he also sees this year's Wild Turkey case and Pappygate from 2013 as being pursued in tandem.

"I think he's (Curtsinger) one of several folks that are involved" in the Pappygate heist, Melton said.

But both Melton and Becker said the investigation is ongoing.

Nine people were indicted Tuesday on charges of spiriting away what Kentucky authorities say was more bourbon whiskey than one person could drink in a lifetime. (April 21) AP

Besides the racketeering charge, Gilbert Curtsinger, 45, is charged with two counts of receiving stolen property, four counts of trafficking in a controlled substance while in possession of a firearm and possession of drug paraphernalia while in possession of a firearm. His indictment had been anticipated since his arrest a month ago when barrels of Wild Turkey were found at his home.

"We've been waiting patiently for this to happen," his attorney Whitney Lawson said. "We're glad that if they're going to indict that they've indicted so we can get to work."

Julie Curtsinger, 43, is charged with the racketeering count, possession of drug paraphernalia while in possession of a firearm, and complicity trafficking in a controlled substance.

Her father, Robert McKinney, 66 of Frankfort, faces the racketeering charge.

Kevin Fox, the attorney for Julie Curtsinger and her father, said he had just received the indictment and needed to gather more information.

"It's early on in the process," Fox said.

The others charged in the racketeering indictment are: Wild Turkey worker Mark S. Searcy, 49 of Lawrenceburg; Ronnie Lee Hubbard, 37 of Georgetown; Dusty Adkins, 42 of Georgetown; Christopher Preston, 45 of Frankfort; Joshua Preston, 23 of Frankfort; and Shawn Ballard, 30 of Richmond.

Christopher Preston, who authorities said works at Buffalo Trace, is the father of Joshua Preston. The younger Preston faces three charges of trafficking in a controlled substance, while Christopher Preston is charged with complicity to trafficking in a controlled substance.

USA TODAY
        Distillers see 'golden age' for bourbon in Kentucky

Arraignments are expected to occur Friday in Franklin Circuit Court. Melton said some attorneys had already contacted him about their clients turning themselves in.

Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey released a joint statement through the Franklin County Sherriff's Office thanking investigators for their work, saying they were cooperating, supporting the prosecution of crimes related to their businesses and indicating they would have no further comment.

Melton discussed the case at a news conference Tuesday afternoon where Attorney General Jack Conway, whose cyber crimes unit assisted with the case, spoke in a recorded video. Indiana Excise police and West Virginia authorities also have been involved in the investigation, authorities said.

The value of the stolen whiskey was at least $100,000 and included bottles and barrels, Becker said. The prosecutor added that the syndicate's activity has been going on since 2008 with some of the defendants involved at different periods. However, Becker said Curtsinger was the main member and that all knew each other socially or through softball.

"There was stuff walking out (of the distilleries) frequently," Melton said.

The thefts included Wild Turkey, Pappy Van Winkle, Eagle Rare and other unidentified products, Becker said. At least 18 whiskey barrels were involved, said Becker, including various varieties of Wild Turkey and at least five barrels of Russell's Reserve. Besides the barrels at the Curtsingers' home, others have been recovered from Laurel, Scott and Harrison counties.

There 25 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon varieties in evidence and information on more than 20 Van Winkle variety cases cases, 50 to 70 cases of Eagle Rare bourbon also made at Buffalo Trace, nine more stainless steel barrels of bourbon and other wooden barrels, Becker said.

Becker said the Pappy cases were "directly attributable to Gilbert Curtsinger."

Franklin County Sheriff's detective Jeff Farmer said Curtsinger would at times deliver barrels to customers in his pickup wearing Buffalo Trace apparel "so that gave them (the buyers) a better understanding that, 'oh, this is a legitimate business.' He would tell them that he got it at discount. It was under proofed or it was discounted to him or it was supposed to go overseas and they changed their mind and didn't sell it overseas. So now, he's got it for x-amount of dollars."

Farmer said many buyers came forward and said they believed Curtsinger "because he never indicated anything at all like it was stolen." Some said he didn't hide his identity, they'd known him for years and he always showing up to softball tournaments with liquor and giving out gifts.

"Everyone just kind of felt comfortable with him," Farmer said.

Sometimes Curtsinger sold barrels -- or bottles of Pappy -- through a middle man.

"Oftentimes Toby (Curtsinger) knew either the person that ended with the barrel or bottle or the middle man or woman," Farmer said.

As for the Wild Turkey, Farmer said Searcy was somewhat more removed from the situation despite having common acquaintances with Curtsinger.

Searcy would take barrels to his stepfather's house in Anderson County, unload them into a barn "and then call Toby" Curtsinger and inform him what had been dropped off, Farmer said.

"Toby would arrange the sales through his people further down the chain," Farmer said, and call Searcy back and say how many barrels he would be taking.

"He would pay (Searcy) a fee," Farmer said.

Farmer said stolen barrels also were hidden other places by the syndicate, including Curtsinger's yard where the original barrels found last month were hidden under a tarp and palate.

That discovery led to Curtsinger's arrest last month.

Becker said he believes syndicate participants, particularly the distillery workers, "knew what the security precautions were and knew how to bypass them and took advantage of their trust from" the distilleries.

Becker said he would leave any security improvements to the distilleries.

"My understanding is that some distilleries have better security than others," he said. "I'm sure that they're going to be revamping all those security measures as a result of this."

The missing cases of the 20-year Pappy — one of the hardest-to-get varieties of Kentucky's bourbon — were worth more than $25,000, not including the nine cases of 13-year-old Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye whiskey that were worth almost $700, according to the police report.

Pappy is one of the nation's most sought-after bourbons — with production of only about 7,000 12-bottle cases a year for all varieties.

Adding to the mix: Melton said much of the bourbon seized will be destroyed after the case is complete, under state law, because its whereabouts and contents and handling could not be vouched for to consumers.

Comment

• Lmao at Pappy and roids.

Comment

• Almost sounds like Pain & Gain

Comment

• Having a hard time topping Ridgemont Reserve 1792 but here are two really nice contenders.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowLX View Post
                Adding to the mix: Melton said much of the bourbon seized will be destroyed after the case is complete, under state law, because its whereabouts and contents and handling could not be vouched for to consumers.
                Oh... DEAR GOD NO!!!!!
                Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                dont downshift!!
                Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• Well that's disturbing!
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    Lmao at Pappy and roids.
                    And softball
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• I've been taking shots of Hot Damn all morning!

Comment

• So my wife got me a "tasting notes" log book and it came with a big print of that American Whiskey Family Tree that I probably posted many many pages ago in this thread. Cool as hell

Comment

• Balvenie is one of my favorites. Im having a bit of glenmorangie tonight to be cheap however.

Twins liquor is having a tasting in austin mid june and they told me there will be a bottle of pappys as well as some really high end glenmorangie

Comment

• But i must admit i think ice is a sin...to put it nicely...haha

Comment

• If you're a Cowboys fan or know one this might interest you. They are putting out blue and silver dipped bottles of Makers 46.

Throughout the Dallas area, you might just run across your very own bottle of Maker’s 46® double-dipped in celebratory blue and silver wax.

There will be 4,500 bottles in circulation, so keep your eyes peeled for them in a liquor store near you. Cheers and happy hunting!

Comment

• The limited makers bottles are cool, I picked up a blue and white dipped bottle the first time the Rangers went to the world series. Told myself I wouldn't drink it until they won, it's still sitting on top of my safe unopened.

Comment

Working...
                                X