Whiskey aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
    fwiw, i dont have a conversation with my glass of whiskey either LOL.

i dont drink scotch though either, yuck!

edit: i know what yale means though, i just dont get into it like that. ive seen the richard patterson vids, that guy is a hoot.
    Scotch is reserved for that time when you step up from boy to man... Like going from Acid cigars to Montecristos
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      There's a reason that, much like cigars, some whisky/whiskey and scotch isn't recommended for novice drinkers. Please don't take that statement to be me saying you're a novice drinker: more that you obviously have a novice palate. Again it's not an insult, it's just fact. Please follow me and read below.

In the cigar world, there's a lot of subtlety that can be brought out of a great smoke through a retrohale: blowing some of the smoke out the nose to help pick apart the finer notes of the tobacco. It amplifies the flavors and strengths of the cigar so much that, once I learned how to do it, it made me dislike some cigars I used to enjoy and appreciate some of the others I originally considered bland and boring.

Obviously, your palate hasn't progressed enough to be discerning or else you would know that a splash of distilled water isn't an insult... it's a very useful tool. If you are truly interested in drinking higher-end scotch you should consider using small amounts of room-temp distilled water from time-to-time. The shit isn't cheap for a reason, like aged Cuban cigars all those years of aging have let more flavors develop, existing flavors deepen and the complexities of the whisky intensify. Discounting using a very powerful tool to help taste what the Master Blender/Bottler wanted you to taste is almost insulting to their hard work. If you want to drink the 'good stuff' without water, more power to you... just understand that the aging and price-point are there for a reason & you're refusing to see why there's so much effort and cost put into what you're drinking.

Cheers!
      Youre pretty much spot on. Im never going to dedicate that much energy into discovering any alcohol. Its not in my makeup, its not a priority. When i drink, i dont do it to speak with the alcohol. I like to enjoy what i drink, but i also want to take it as face value. Like i said...im not upper middle class enough for that.

Also, i will never enjoy cigars. Give me a the fine fine aroma of fresh copenhagen, or some grizzly long cut straight over the finest cigar any day of the week.

Comment

Scotch is reserved for that time when you step up from boy to man... Like going from Acid cigars to Montecristos
        Ice in scotch is for when you step down from man to bitch

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Youre pretty much spot on. Im never going to dedicate that much energy into discovering any alcohol. Its not in my makeup, its not a priority. When i drink, i dont do it to speak with the alcohol. I like to enjoy what i drink, but i also want to take it as face value. Like i said...im not upper middle class enough for that.

Also, i will never enjoy cigars. Give me a the fine fine aroma of fresh copenhagen, or some grizzly long cut straight over the finest cigar any day of the week.
          It has nothing to do with upper middle class or anything like that. I can give you all the analogies I want, but if you want to drink stuff that is better enjoyed in a variety of ways, maybe you should try it. For all you know, you might pick up on some tastes you really enjoy. It's not like we're asking your to mix it with grenadine or red bull: just a splash of water to allow the whisky another medium to occupy and expand.
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          dont downshift!!

Comment

I don't use ice. Room temp for me. More flavors. I also don't use water often, but I do for certain drinks or to try and pry more flavor out of one.
            dont downshift!!

Comment

Youre pretty much spot on. Im never going to dedicate that much energy into discovering any alcohol. Its not in my makeup, its not a priority.

oh, cool. But you're not afraid to throw out a slap-in-the-face comment to someone that is more knowledgeable on the subject than you, right?

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              There it is.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

haha, man i tried some johnnie walker blue, and it tasted awful to me.

Comment

• I like it on ice
                  I like it with water
                  I like it neat

it all depends on my mood and what the drink of choice may be

Comment

because it is (awful)

Comment

Johnny Walker is shit.

Find Balvenie 14yr or 15yr, Oban 14yr or Aberlour 12yr. All 4 can be had with relative ease and won't kill your wallet.
                      dont downshift!!

Comment

Johnny Walker is shit.

Find Balvenie 14yr or 15yr, Oban 14yr or Aberlour 12yr. All 4 can be had with relative ease and won't kill your wallet.
                        Dat A'Bunadh...
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I will agree with you on the copenhagen part. I quit years ago, but the smell makes my mouth water every time!

I would consider myself a novice scotch/whiskey drinker. Hell my go-to is Knob Creek and the two most expensive bottles I've ever bought was a bottle of Woodford Reserve and a bottle of MacAllen 10 yr (the MacAllen was actually given to me). However, I do understand some of the differences between adding water, neat, and on the rocks. Each has it's own characteristics, as well as it's own time and place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Wife: "You need to kill that decanter soon so we can pack it."
                            Me: "Game on."

We are moving and need to pack up our shit. This was our sacrificial bourbon for guests (gotta make 'em feel important, ya know?). I honestly don't remember what it is.

If Dr. McGillicuddy made a "bourbon" that's what this would be. I do know it was a glass bottle, so it's not Kentucky Deluxe.

Anyway, I have a good excuse to mix it now. Other than bourbon & ginger and a manhattan or old fashioned, what bourbon based mixed drinks do I need to try over the next week (or few days)?

Comment

• spiked arnold palmer

Comment

spiked arnold palmer
                                Did that today actually

Fucking awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X