No announcement yet.

Whiskey aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new addition to the bourbon stash. My boss pickedthis up for me while at the Kentucky Derby this year. One of the best bourbons I've ever had.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
      Got a new addition to the bourbon stash. My boss pickedthis up for me while at the Kentucky Derby this year. One of the best bourbons I've ever had.
      LOVE Blanton's. Try to get your hands on some Rock Hill Farm next! (Both are Buffalo Trace mashbill 2, the only difference is rackhouse location during aging and barrel selection... and proof)

Blanton’s Single Barrel Bourbon, 46.5% abv (93 Proof), $45-50
      Background: Produced by Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, KY, Blanton’s was the bourbon that started the single barrel craze in the early 1980’s. It’s disputed by some noted historians and industry figures as to whether it was the first Single Barrel, but nobody can dispute that it was the first to really achieve commercial success. Others took note and quickly followed. It’s named after Colonel Albert Bacon Blanton, a former George T. Stagg Distillery (now Buffalo Trace) president. His favorite bourbon came from Warehouse H, which is where Blanton’s barrels are selected today. We owe Elmer T. Lee for getting Blanton’s released. At his urging, the distillery agreed to release this bourbon to the public in 1984. It is made using Buffalo Trace’s mash bill #2.
      Color: Medium Amber
      Nose: Corn, apples and apricots, cinnamon, rye, and a little caramel sweetness adds weight.
      Flavor: Corn, orchard fruits (apples, peaches), bracing rye spice, and the bitterness of charred wood.
      Finish: Baking spices, fruit, maple syrup, and barrel yield a moderate length finish.
      Overall: Blanton’s is a wonderful expression of a rye recipe bourbon full of grain and barrel aromas and flavors. It is also accessible and relatively easy drinking. My only complaint is Blanton’s flattens a bit on the palate. I would love to see this at barrel proof as Colonel Blanton used to sip it. Buffalo Trace, are you listening?
      Sour Mash Manifesto Rating: 8.7 (Very Good/Excellent)

Rock Hill Farm Single Barrel Bourbon, 50% abv (100 Proof), $45-50
      Background: Rock Hill Farm is a Single Barrel bourbon made by Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, KY. Like Blanton’s, Rock Hill Farm is made using Buffalo Trace’s mash bill #2.
      Color: Deep Golden/Amber
      Nose: Corn, honey, apple cider, a sprinkle of rye, mint, and wet oak. What a fantastic nose this is, and with fruit and corn prevailing and enough oak and spice character to keep it lively.
      Flavor: Again we have corn right from the fore, loads of honey, rye, peppery bite, burned sugar, maple, and again that apple note.
      Finish: Moderate length -fruity with caramel and peppery spice.
      Overall: Rock Hill Farm is a tremendous bourbon that really doesn’t get its due. It has depth and layers of flavor that Blanton’s didn’t quite measure up to. More than anything I enjoyed the balance of grain and fruit that shines through.
      Sour Mash Manifesto Rating: 9.0 (Outstanding/Superb)

Oh, and on the Blanton's, collect the whole set.

The horse and jockey on the bottle stoppers are now a recognized trademark of Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon. The rich heritage and tradition of horses in Kentucky parallel that of bourbon. Beginning in 1999 a collector's edition set of eight different stoppers was produced. The set features a horse and jockey in different strides and poses resembling the stages of a horse race. Each stopper is marked with a single letter that spells Blanton's when the set has been completed.

Comment

• Doesn't surprise me that you already have this information in your stash. Good rea Matt, and yes my boss did tell me about this series. I told Mary I was going to have to get the whole set and she told me no shenanigans LOL.

David

Comment

• Payment for helping mount a display on a wall.

Comment

• This turned into one heck of a thread. Me thinks there's a lush or 12 here.

Comment

• While on a cruise I got a bottle of The Macallan Select Oak. Has a great initial flavor, but burns like a mother fucker. Absolutely fantastic mixed with cream soda.

Comment

• Garrison Brothers Single Barrel straight from the freezer is great for me.

Comment

• You froze single barrel whiskey? Dafuq?
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Newest addition

Comment

• How much did that set you back? The box looks like it's more than I could afford.

Comment

• I didn't buy it. $800.

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
                          I didn't buy it. $800.
                          God damn! I need to see what $800 scotch taste like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            I don't, I might get hooked and be a broke drunk...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              I don't, I might get hooked and be a broke drunk...
                              Fair enough... I don't need any more vices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                                Safe to say I'll never buy a bottle myself. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to say if it's 800 good. I don't have much experience to draw from.

This bottle is part of a group of bottles we have been collecting over the last few months. I'll get a pic of the group if I ever remember.
                                Last edited by CWO; 11-23-2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X