Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly inmates. Suing because no ac is cruel and unusual.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevo View Post
    I hate to be 'that guy', but you signed up for it, you volunteered for it. You were prepared in training to physically do it. You could get discharged out of it. You were in that situation because you wanted to be in that situation.

There is no need for all the bravado, if the conditions are bad enough that prisoners are dying, it is cruel, it should be unlawful. If someone is sent for two years for tax evasion and is basically killed due to the poor conditions in that prison, he has been basically executed by the government. He was sentenced to imprisonment, not death.

If someone breaks the law, give them the sentence that fits. Hell, give them the max for it. Let that sentence fit the crime. It is a felony to leave a dog in a hot car, but the government can get away with doing it to people?

Stevo
    It could also be argued that prisoners earned their spot in there as well.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
      That is not entirely true, people have always had A/C in some form or another. People would live under cliffs, have 'swamp' style coolers, tree shade, and many other options, as well as not living in a confined space, they (prisoners family) do have a point.

We have one of the largest prison systems in the world, and comparative to others we are one of the least hospitable.
      fuck that nonsense. They are in prison for harming others.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
        I hate to be 'that guy', but you signed up for it, you volunteered for it. You were prepared in training to physically do it. You could get discharged out of it. You were in that situation because you wanted to be in that situation.

There is no need for all the bravado, if the conditions are bad enough that prisoners are dying, it is cruel, it should be unlawful. If someone is sent for two years for tax evasion and is basically killed due to the poor conditions in that prison, he has been basically executed by the government. He was sentenced to imprisonment, not death.

If someone breaks the law, give them the sentence that fits. Hell, give them the max for it. Let that sentence fit the crime. It is a felony to leave a dog in a hot car, but the government can get away with doing it to people?

Stevo
        No bravado about it all on my part. I knew just what I was signing up for, and it could have been much worse. And, as stated below, criminals signed up for it by becoming criminals.
        I'm a firm believer in "don't do the crime if you can't do the time". Now, if the convicts were being beaten, or having their a/c deliberately shut off when it was the gottest outside, I'd have some sympathy. In other words, if there's no a/c equipment there to begin with, I don't feel they have a case.
        Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        Exactly.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          True, but it isn't a spot they necessary chose, and I am positive many of them didn't earn it, many ended up there by the hands of crooked cops/lawyers/judges.

And... if they earned a two year prison sentence should they be given the death penalty?

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
            I've lived without a/c, and worked many years without a/c, but I'm not sure I've ever dealt with 145 degrees. That's pretty damn hot.
            I have dealt with 140*F. I used to play tournament tennis around DFW and one day it was 105*F outside with the courtside thermometer showing 140*F. Just sitting there, all was good, but when I tried to actually play, completely different story. I retired after a 15 minute set.

Comment

I do not use air conditioning at my house, we use ceiling fans and an attic fan, and small oscillating fans around the house. We usually keep our windows open for fresh air. Air flow is what makes it livable in our house. I know what it is like to live and work in the heat. I am not spoiled to 68*-72* air year round like 95% of people.

That said, I STILL believe it is wrong to bake someone in temps like what is mentioned. Yeah, they fucked up, broke laws, etc. Some of them deserve the torture, some the death, but SOME do not. The punishment should fit the crime.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Yeah, guess some feel the way you do and some feel the way I do. None of us our going to change our minds.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                X