No announcement yet.

Question of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at the same time there is a portion of my brain that says that you would have to be met with an opposing force of substantial speed to be able to accelerate.. so final thought is that it just feels like it happens alot faster cause you can cruise at 80 in most cars and feel like you're barely moving untill shit hits the fan and you realize you weren't creeping

Comment

If you take the inside of the vehicle as your frame of reference then yes, you would be in a state of acceleration briefly as you are being launched from the seat on impact. If you take the surroundings as your frame of reference, then you would be in a state of negative acceleration (deceleration) as your body comes to a stop from slamming through the windshield and what not.

Acceleration and velocity is all about frame of reference. For instance, if you stand still and take the surface and atmosphere of the earth as your frame of reference than your velocity is zero. If you take our solar system as your frame of reference than your velocity is 67000 mph (the speed that earth is moving through our solar system as it orbits the sun). If you take the universe as the frame of reference than it's something different since our solar system moves through the Milky way galaxy at some velocity, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        yes, your ass moves at 60.0000000001mph assuming the car doesnt change speeds.
        Hm... That means I would prolly pull off a 60.0000000004mph speed increase due to my foxbodies' manual seats. We all know u can pull that level and slam it forward. But I know y'all have also experienced the opposite where u pull the level and u slam backwards and for an instant feel as though time has stopped and ur brain is spackling ur skull due to the sharp G forces. Or it could jus be me and a well oiled seat rail...

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
          If you take the inside of the vehicle as your frame of reference then yes, you would be in a state of acceleration briefly as you are being launched from the seat on impact. If you take the surroundings as your frame of reference, then you would be in a state of negative acceleration (deceleration) as your body comes to a stop from slamming through the windshield and what not.

Acceleration and velocity is all about frame of reference. For instance, if you stand still and take the surface and atmosphere of the earth as your frame of reference than your velocity is zero. If you take our solar system as your frame of reference than your velocity is 67000 mph (the speed that earth is moving through our solar system as it orbits the sun). If you take the universe as the frame of reference than it's something different since our solar system moves through the Milky way galaxy at some velocity, and so on.
          Iwould argue that acceleration in both cases would be the same (caused by the movement of the seat track. Frame of reference does not change the action, merely how the action is perceived/interpereted. Visit Einstein's experiment with the train. If I drop an object from the train it takes a straight path if observed from the train. It takes a curved path if observed from the ground.) however your speed will differ

Frame of reference: car
          Speed of frame : 60 mph
          Speed of objects inside of car relative to frame: 0

Move the seat and you are momentarily accelerated from zero to the speed of the seat track and then upon its arrival at your desired location along the track, decelerated back to a resting position within the frame.

Frame of reference: road bed
          Speed of frame: 0 (ignoring any movement from the earth traveling through space)
          Speed of objects inside car relative to frame: 60mph

In this instance, begin moving the seat and you are momentarily accelerated to a speed slightly faster than 60 mph and then decelerated, upon arrival at your final destination along the track, back to the constant speed of 60 mph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
            Ok...so what if your driving a car at 100mph and you plow head on into a concrete barricade and get launched from the seat, thru the windshield and fly over the hood of the car? Compared to the car you just briefly vacated....are you accelerating?
            Newtons 1st law. You are not accelerating, the car just stopped and you kept moving.
            Originally posted by Buzzo
            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              Iwould argue that acceleration in both cases would be the same (caused by the movement of the seat track. Frame of reference does not change the action, merely how the action is perceived/interpereted. Visit Einstein's experiment with the train. If I drop an object from the train it takes a straight path if observed from the train. It takes a curved path if observed from the ground.) however your speed will differ

Frame of reference: car
              Speed of frame : 60 mph
              Speed of objects inside of car relative to frame: 0

Move the seat and you are momentarily accelerated from zero to the speed of the seat track and then upon its arrival at your desired location along the track, decelerated back to a resting position within the frame.

Frame of reference: road bed
              Speed of frame: 0 (ignoring any movement from the earth traveling through space)
              Speed of objects inside car relative to frame: 60mph

In this instance, begin moving the seat and you are momentarily accelerated to a speed slightly faster than 60 mph and then decelerated, upon arrival at your final destination along the track, back to the constant speed of 60 mph

My post was only in response to the question about slamming into a concrete barrier. For moving your seat forward with traveling an some velocity, yes you are obviously accelerating the same amount in either frame of reference because you are changing your speed by the same amount. Acceleration = change in velocity over time---(Vf-Vi)/t

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                My post was only in response to the question about slamming into a concrete barrier. For moving your seat forward with traveling an some velocity, yes you are obviously accelerating the same amount in either frame of reference because you are changing your speed by the same amount. Acceleration = change in velocity over time---(Vf-Vi)/t
                Gotcha. Thought you were referencing the original question. No need to break out the alphabet! Lol. I'm quite familiar with the acceleration equation. Though its been a while. The last time I was deep in math and working equations I was working with greek letters and things like H bar.

Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

What if your on a plane and you get up to walk back to the bathroom. Are you going slower or faster than the plane if your walking towards the tail section?

Comment

Originally posted by gnturboray View Post
                    What if your on a plane and you get up to walk back to the bathroom. Are you going slower or faster than the plane if your walking towards the tail section?
                    Velocity is a vector quantity, so say if the plane is traveling at 500mph north (positive j direction), and you are walking 5 mph south (negative j direction), you'd have these vectors:

V1=0i+500j

V2=0i-5j

V1+V2 =0i+495j

So you'd be going slower than the plane taking the plane's surroundings as the frame of reference.

Comment

Working...
                    X