No announcement yet.

Securing a detached shop/garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the door be seen from the house? Alarm+window+rifle=problem solved.

Comment

1 craftsman wrench
      1 washer it dryer sized box
      1 stick to prop box up
      1 50 foot piece of rope to pull stick down trapping burglar under box when he attempts to steal the baited wrench

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
        Get a guard dog and lock it in the shop at night...
        It's a possibility I guess but he's not a real dog person. I think he'd prefer some sort of electronic solution.

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        If he has ADT, they'll wire up the alarm to the house
        He doesn't at the moment but I'll mention it to him.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        SAMS club had some pretty good color video cameras with DVR; I think they came with 6 cameras, if I am not mistaken and the package was about $600 or $700. That is where I would start as even if you have an alarm it doesn't do much good if you don't have some kind of photographic evidence of who committed the crime.
        Do you know if the cameras are wireless? The DVR needs to be inside the house. I'm not a member at Sam's but I am at Costco. I'll probably head over there today and see what they have.

Originally posted by Yale View Post
        Park a tractor in front of the door, as close as your can to it, then leave via the roll-up door.
        Funny you say that, that's actually how he has it secured for the time being.

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
        I'm putting together a diy security system and picked this swann ads-191 from fry's for $15 after rebate last night. http://www.frys.com/product/6923257?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
        This particular camera lets thieves know your are recording/watching important key feature. When motion is detected a loud 50dB warning message is released from the camera along with bright red and blue flashing LED warning lights. You can hook it up to the back of the tv and switch to that channel when you you wan to see what's going on, If you don't want to mess with a dvr.

Personally, I feel this type of security is just enough for you average bored teen/strung out druggy. I don't think anything will deter a determined professional criminal.
        Have you already hooked this up? How's it working? He does want it to hook up to a DVR in case he's not home so hopefully the thief can be identified. It looks like that has to be hardwired. If it comes to it then he could rent a trencher or something and trench the cables to the house but I'd like to keep it wireless if possible.

No but it will help in IDing them and catching them. It is a long shot on break ins like that, but having them on video gives you a much higher chance. Video also would not be the only thing I would do if I felt I needed to add security, but I think it would be the first step.
        Yeah, the plan is to be able to ID them with the system. Unfortunately it's probably someone who has been in the shop before. Or a friend of someone who's been in the shop before. There are a few distant family members who have been in trouble with the law before - mostly from drug addictions and the crimes necessary to support their addictions. It's probably one of those and he knows if they really want in they'll find a way.

Originally posted by BradM View Post
        Can the door be seen from the house? Alarm+window+rifle=problem solved.
        It's kind of at an angle where you can see two sides of the building but not the door they went in.

Comment

No but it will help in IDing them and catching them. It is a long shot on break ins like that, but having them on video gives you a much higher chance. Video also would not be the only thing I would do if I felt I needed to add security, but I think it would be the first step.
          Rarely. My dad has a full CCTV system and had been hit multiple times with the cops not giving a single fuck.

Comment

reinforce the weak points of the door to stop kick ins

Prevent break-ins by upgrading and strengthening your door security and deadbolt and lockset. Learn how to install a Grade 1 deadbolt.

then add a simple alarm using these to guard the doors

Place the siren above the interior of the door

and with a little effort you can build/modify a strobe to cause epileptic seizures

Pair it with a second strobe and a fog machine/smoke grenade and youll make it really hard for anybody to function in the area
            Smoke Grenades for Paintball, Airsoft, Law Enforcement, Military Training, and More!

Then for identification you can create a cheap security cam out of a webcam
            You don't need expensive software or a new camera to keep an eye on things at home. Whether you're looking after your dog or trying to catch burglars

You can also block a metal door with something like this
            Back door security bars installed in Atlanta. Prevent forced entry into commercial and industrial buildings.
            Last edited by John -- '02 HAWK; 11-25-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

An alarm leading to his main house and a shotgun.
              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                Guard dog. I have a detached workshop a doberman, and siberian husky. No one has gotten past the doberman.
                i have area lights, locks, and a jack russel and a chiuaua, they're not big , but there hear anything that moves and are the yappest dogs ever.

Comment

Have you already hooked this up? How's it working? He does want it to hook up to a DVR in case he's not home so hopefully the thief can be identified. It looks like that has to be hardwired. If it comes to it then he could rent a trencher or something and trench the cables to the house but I'd like to keep it wireless if possible.

I just picked this up last night and quickly put it together in my office and it is exactly as advertised. It comes with everything including ~60 ft cable. Although I just plugged it into a power socket to see what it does. He could hide the dvr in the shop and review later or watch it from his iphone/android device with subscription. Just throwing this out there as this cost me $15.
                  Here's a video I found on youtube:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMK7U_nEig[/ame]
                  Last edited by hxbernal; 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X