Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a used Tundra, any input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a used Tundra, any input?

I'm looking at buying a used 07+ Tundra CrewMax with a 5.7 & 6 speed auto for the wife. Other than shitty MPG, any issues with them? I love the giant rear seat and the fact the rear window rolls down.

Make sure to get a newer one with the white gauges. I have a 2007 and it is hard to see the black ones. You will like the way they run and pull.

Gas milage is not horribly bad. It really depends on which way the wind blows. LOL. I drove to Orange Tx and when I got there I was setting on 21.3 mpg. But I babied it the whole way and kept it under or at 70 mph. By the time I got back home it was setting at 19.1 mpg. But I did hit 115 mph twice to get around some logging trucks. Had other times that I could not get more than 15.5 mpg. But had a strong head wind. My average is about 13.2. But I do have a heavy foot. My 04 chevy was at 14.0

If you have any specific questions, feel free to hit me up.

I like pretty much everything about the truck except I absolutely hate the Auto LSD (prefer a mechanical lock up), the black gauges, and the seat belt chime. Seat belt chime will drive you nuts. I really hope the guy that designed that dies a very slow and horrible death.
    Last edited by SSMAN; 12-30-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
      Make sure to get a newer one with the white gauges. I have a 2007 and it is hard to see the black ones. Oh, and get a frewmax. They look the best an the rear window is electric. You will like the way they run and pull.
      Thanks. Have you had any problems with yours?

Comment

I know that they have issues with the air injection system. If it isn't warrantied, it's very expensive. Other than that they're sound trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by 68chevy2 View Post
          I know that they have issues with the air injection system. If it isn't warrantied, it's very expensive. Other than that they're sound trucks.
          Air injection? Like for smog?

Comment

Here's the one I have my eye on, I hope they still have it when I get back to Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post

Yessir. Well it looks like it's covered 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles. Looks like you're good to go. I've worked for Toyota for the past 5 years in parts and haven't noticed any repetitive issues with the Tundra.

Comment

Originally posted by 68chevy2 View Post
                http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...njection-pump/

Yessir. Well it looks like it's covered 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles. Looks like you're good to go. I've worked for Toyota for the past 5 years in parts and haven't noticed any repetitive issues with the Tundra.
                Thanks!

Comment

I also know that their was a bulletin on the Tundra for a "harsh" ride. I only know of a few occurrences where we actually had a customer complaining about such. It's a simple body mount bolt/bushing replacement.

Comment

Thanks!
                    Looks like at first glance that the Tundra Headquarters website might help you research the Tundra a little deeper. Don't let all the small issues worry you though. They're great trucks!

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                      Make sure to get a newer one with the white gauges. I have a 2007 and it is hard to see the black ones. You will like the way they run and pull.

Gas milage is not horribly bad. It really depends on which way the wind blows. LOL. I drove to Orange Tx and when I got there I was setting on 21.3 mpg. But I babied it the whole way and kept it under or at 70 mph. By the time I got back home it was setting at 19.1 mpg. But I did hit 115 mph twice to get around some logging trucks. Had other times that I could not get more than 15.5 mpg. But had a strong head wind. My average is about 13.2. But I do have a heavy foot. My 04 chevy was at 14.0

If you have any specific questions, feel free to hit me up.

I like pretty much everything about the truck except I absolutely hate the Auto LSD (prefer a mechanical lock up), the black gauges, and the seat belt chime. Seat belt chime will drive you nuts. I really hope the guy that designed that dies a very slow and horrible death.
                      Good edit.

Comment

My father in law has been getting a new tundra every two years since 2007. He loves his and they never give him any problems. You are right about the back seat, there is tons of room in them. Toyota also has been pretty good to him on what they give him trade in every two years. His grill emblem got stolen about a year ago and he went up to Toyota to buy one and they just gave him one for free. I've drove it a few times and it doesn't seem to get terrible gas milage.
                        1997 viper gts
                        1986 turbo mustang
                        1987 Buick grand national
                        1972 nova

Comment

I have my crew max since 2008, and its been a great truck, great power with the 5.7 and as Barry stated, mpg can vary but how you drive it causes that. Seat belt chimes can be turned off at the dealer, freeman Toyota turned mine off and turned on the daytime running lights for free. Two thumbs up IMO
                          2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                          Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                          Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                          Speedlogix Catch Can
                          Resonator Delete

Comment

Thanks. Have you had any problems with yours?
                            Honestly , outside of someone hitting me last weekend and running off. No, have not had any problems. Have had it new since 2007. It only has 62k on it, but sometimes "time" itself will kill things. A friend's brother had one and put 200k on it with no problems except he said the transmission was starting to slip a little, but only when it was cold.

Comment

Like said above, I got the letter in the mail and put it in the glove box. That was my biggest concern due to the fact it cost $4-$5k to get those replaced
                              Tundra solutions is a great site. They even make something to plug in just in case the air injection pumps go out. I was thinking they were $80.00.
                              Last edited by SSMAN; 12-30-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X