Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was conceived while my parents were hammered drunk on PBR....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was conceived while my parents were hammered drunk on PBR....

Twinkies will be back!!! Never thought i'd thank a hipster for anything....

http://theweek.com/article/index/241...made-in-heaven

Proving once more that Twinkies are indestructible, the brand was rescued from near-death on Wednesday when it was sold to private-equity firm Apollo Global Management and food company Metropoulos & Company. The sale caps a months-long ordeal for the classic snack, whose fate was thrust into limbo when parent company Hostess declared bankruptcy in late 2012.

Under the $410 million deal, Apollo and Metropoulos are also buying other signature Hostess brands, including Ding Dongs, Ho Hos, Sno Balls, and Dolly Madison Zingers.

Metropoulos is the owner of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a fact that has conjured up some unappetizing visions of the watery beer and cream-filled quasi-cakes being sold in combination. But in truth, Twinkies would have been hard pressed to find a better owner, since Metropoulos has a stellar record of using the nostalgic pull of old brands to make them popular once more. PBR, after all, has evolved from being the poster boy of cheap-o beers to an implausibly fashionable favorite among the hipster set.

Indeed, Metropoulos is already planning a similar rebranding campaign for Twinkies, write Michael J. De La Merced and Peter Lattman at The New York Times:

"There's a great consumer fan base that hasn't declined," Daren Metropoulos, one of Mr. Metropoulos' sons and an executive at the family firm, said in an interview. "We saw a real opportunity to revitalize these brands, just with some T.L.C."

That may come in the form of what the younger Mr. Metropoulos deemed "guerrilla marketing," much as his firm has done with Pabst Blue Ribbon. Social media like Twitter are expected to play a big role going forward, he said, and comedian friends like Zach Galifianakis may be drafted as spokesmen. (Will Ferrell, for instance, has starred in commercials for Old Milwaukee beer, part of the Pabst family.) [New York Times]

Twinkies are still a profitable product, banking $76.2 million in revenue in 2012. But profits have fallen in recent years, and Twinkies' popularity have been eclipsed within the Hostess family by CupCakes, which brought in $384.6 million last year.

The question, according to Jason Nolte at MSN Money, is will "all this Twinkie nostalgia die down once the snack cake and its convenience-store cohorts are saved?"

Metropolous and Apollo don't think so, and they should know. Both businesses stake large portions of their revenue on consumer nostalgia. While Metropolous' Pabst is a prime example, it has also pulled Chef Boyardee canned pasta dishes and Pam cooking spray out of consumer culture's reject pile. [MSN Money]
    Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

You're welcome.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

you're welcome and fuck you very much, my mustache even thanks you!
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Gross
        .....bro....

Comment

PBR is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            PBR is awesome.
            You sir know what you are talking about.
            Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I'm more pissed about hipsters that drank Miller High Life, forcing the price to go over $20 a 30 pack from $15 a few years back. Might as well buy decent beer when the price of swill gets that high.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                I'm more pissed about hipsters that drank Miller High Life, forcing the price to go over $20 a 30 pack from $15 a few years back. Might as well buy decent beer when the price of swill gets that high.

Stevo
                You're not kidding. I guess I'm part of the crowd that caused the hike, but my freshman year of college it's all we drank because it was cheap and pretty decent, but there's no reason to buy it at the current price.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  PBR is awesome.
                  I'll hate on PBR all day long until I show up at the bar and it's $1 for 24 oz. Nothing wrong with that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                    You're not kidding. I guess I'm part of the crowd that caused the hike, but my freshman year of college it's all we drank because it was cheap and pretty decent, but there's no reason to buy it at the current price.
                    Slowhand liked highlife before it was cool = hipster.

Comment

been on highlife since i was 17! my brother turned me onto it, but i agree, its too pricey, other than the 32oz cans now, i'll just buy 6 16oz budwesiers for $8 and get a proper buzz.
                      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                        Slowhand liked highlife before it was cool = hipster.
                        Hipsters don't have shit on me as far as being a snob and being ahead of the curve goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                          Hipsters don't have shit on me as far as being a snob and being ahead of the curve goes.
                          Truche'

Comment

Not sure why anyone cares. Submarinos by Marinela were/are still available.

Comment

I've ~almost~ got my homebrew production to the point that I keep around 50 bottles in the fridge at all times. The higher alcohol and flavor means that I drink no where near the amount, but I still buy cheap shit when I go somewhere of when it is hot as hell outside and homebrew is just too much to guzzle. I'm starting 10 gallons of IPA Sunday.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X