Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you move early over this happening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 034V View Post
    No, I'm getting more news on this from police. Gun was fired across the street intended for someone in house behind me. Passed thru their houses front window out their back window, thru my fence.

Someone was being shot at.

Looking at an acre in lavon area.
    Your landlord is not liable for general crime in the area, so he has no reason to let you out of your lease early. The only possible exception I could see is if they are also the landlord of the neighbor who caused the issue, then does not address it appropriately.

For example, let's say the neighbor is always throwing parties, police being called, drugs being sold and whatnot. The landlord becomes aware of the issues and illegal activity but does not move to evict. Then something happens, caused by same neighbor, and damage is done. IMO, the landord would then be liable.

Other than that, it just sounds like your neighborhood is taking a turn for the worst, which in itself does not warrant the landlord letting you out of the lease.

Now, that said, it is up to you to decide what you need to do. If you feel unsafe, or that your child is in danger in that area, then you probably should consider leaving. But that should be based on the welfare of you and your family, and financial implications should be only a minimal consideration to you. Would you rather get your security deposit back, or have your child get killed or injured?

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Your landlord is not liable for general crime in the area, so he has no reason to let you out of your lease early. The only possible exception I could see is if they are also the landlord of the neighbor who caused the issue, then does not address it appropriately.

For example, let's say the neighbor is always throwing parties, police being called, drugs being sold and whatnot. The landlord becomes aware of the issues and illegal activity but does not move to evict. Then something happens, caused by same neighbor, and damage is done. IMO, the landord would then be liable.

Other than that, it just sounds like your neighborhood is taking a turn for the worst, which in itself does not warrant the landlord letting you out of the lease.

Now, that said, it is up to you to decide what you need to do. If you feel unsafe, or that your child is in danger in that area, then you probably should consider leaving. But that should be based on the welfare of you and your family, and financial implications should be only a minimal consideration to you. Would you rather get your security deposit back, or have your child get killed or injured?
      Sounds about what I'm thinking.

Comment

Actually, with the assumption that his landlord wont let him out of the lease early, and his lease contract doesnt have an early termination provision, he is responcible for the rent that would be due for the remainder of the contract.

We moved a few months early from our old place and let our landlord know that we were going to be moving and would be out by x day, and we would be paying out our rent until the contract was up. She was able to get it rented earlier than we all expected, and we were able to get out of a months rent.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
          Actually, with the assumption that his landlord wont let him out of the lease early, and his lease contract doesnt have an early termination provision, he is responcible for the rent that would be due for the remainder of the contract.

We moved a few months early from our old place and let our landlord know that we were going to be moving and would be out by x day, and we would be paying out our rent until the contract was up. She was able to get it rented earlier than we all expected, and we were able to get out of a months rent.
          I agree.. I was leaning more towards, he has 2 months left, puts in 30 days notice, then lets them settle up on the last month with the deposit. Not that that is probably the best way. I have been fortunate enough to only have to break one lease in my life, but that was allowed without penalty under a military clause (had orders to move).

Comment

I agree.. I was leaning more towards, he has 2 months left, puts in 30 days notice, then lets them settle up on the last month with the deposit. Not that that is probably the best way. I have been fortunate enough to only have to break one lease in my life, but that was allowed without penalty under a military clause (had orders to move).
            I gott to deal with this at an appartment complex, there was a rash of home invasions going on, and the police suspected it was someone living in the compelex. The police officer that lived next door to me had left for his shift about 15 mins before they kicked down his door and held his wife at gunpoint, made her open the safe, stole her cell phone and took thier home phone. My girlfriend at the time was home next door and called 911.

APD had a town hall style meeting at the appartment office, and advised us of what was going on. The apparentment manager offered anyone who wanted to move out of their lease. I opted to move, and took them up on thier offer. I only had 2 months left on my lease, and a year later I got a charge off for $5k on my credit report. Its been taken down several times, but it still pops up every couple of years. The complex just put us down as not paying our rent and evicted ,
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I would move. Eat the rent and know that the wife and kid are safer that way. Does it suck? Hell yes it does. Sucks worse when there is no one to shoot back at too.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                I gott to deal with this at an appartment complex, there was a rash of home invasions going on, and the police suspected it was someone living in the compelex. The police officer that lived next door to me had left for his shift about 15 mins before they kicked down his door and held his wife at gunpoint, made her open the safe, stole her cell phone and took thier home phone. My girlfriend at the time was home next door and called 911.

APD had a town hall style meeting at the appartment office, and advised us of what was going on. The apparentment manager offered anyone who wanted to move out of their lease. I opted to move, and took them up on thier offer. I only had 2 months left on my lease, and a year later I got a charge off for $5k on my credit report. Its been taken down several times, but it still pops up every couple of years. The complex just put us down as not paying our rent and evicted ,
                That's crazy!

Incidentally, that apartment that I broke my lease on ended up sending me to a Collection's agency a couple of years later. I was like WTF? I gave them the right notice, copies of my orders, and they even refunded my security deposit! I assume another management company took over and just started hitting anything they saw a broken lease on. Took months to straighten out, but eventually they fixed it. Almost cost me being able to move in to another apartment in the mean-time (that's when I found out about it). They were denying me because I had previously broken a lease. What a PITA.

Comment

Long story short..

Live in a town home, ok neighborhood, 2 months left on the lease with intentions of moving anyways after it is up.

Story:

Undesireable's were out in their yard, a gun is fired (whether intentional or accidental is uncertain) in the back yard behind us and passes through our fence and hits our brick wall about 2½ feet to the right of back door, waist high.

Unknown caliber but still a firearm.

15 month old Daughter was not at home but is almost always in the kitchen/dining area when she is.

Now I'm going over the "what-ifs"..

Question, can and should a landlord willingly refund deposit and terminate lease?

The guy was arrested (supposedly) but I can't get over the fact that it happened.

Discuss
                  First, Who is the "the guy"? Are you saying the home owner shot at intruders? Or was it just a bunch of black people in the back yard?

No, I wouldnt move because of what ifs.
                  what if It happens again?
                  -Well, what if it happens at the new place too, but only because you moved early

-what are the chances of that happening

-what are the chances of the bullet coming your way

what if it would have came inside.
                  -then you'd have a bullet hole in something

what if my dick was average size
                  what if what if what if what if
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                    First, Who is the "the guy"? Are you saying the home owner shot at intruders? Or was it just a bunch of black people in the back yard?

No, I wouldnt move because of what ifs.
                    -Well, what if it happens at the new place too, but only because you moved early

-what are the chances of that happening

-what are the chances of the bullet coming your way

what if it would have came inside.
                    -then you'd have a bullet hole in something

what if my dick was average size
                    what if what if what if what if
                    Someone apparently was shot at behind my house.

Just gonna narrow down my thinking on it. It's been a long day and I really hate moving last minute.

Daughter is staying at my folks until lease is up May 31st. They live is a nicer area so I will be at least somewhat relaxed. Wife will just work more too that way so it will help ease the mind more so.

I hate stupid people.

Comment

If you break your lease you will probably lose your security deposit and could be liable for unpaid rent and attorney fees if the landlord takes it that far. Why dont you just pick up the phone and call them. Explain the situation tactfully and see what they say. I own two properties and have let 2 individuals out of their lease over the last 7 years. Mainly because they were deadbeatish and i wanted new people in their places. Most landlords want to avoid the eviction process. Its a pain in the ass and back rents are hardly ever collected in collections. I would much rather a tenant call me personally and move out on there own without me forcing them. Things stay more civil and property makes out with less damage.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post
                        If you break your lease you will probably lose your security deposit and could be liable for unpaid rent and attorney fees if the landlord takes it that far. Why dont you just pick up the phone and call them. Explain the situation tactfully and see what they say. I own two properties and have let 2 individuals out of their lease over the last 7 years. Mainly because they were deadbeatish and i wanted new people in their places. Most landlords want to avoid the eviction process. Its a pain in the ass and back rents are hardly ever collected in collections. I would much rather a tenant call me personally and move out on there own without me forcing them. Things stay more civil and property makes out with less damage.
                        Tried.. He wont return calls, texts or emails..

Plus, I've never met him, only way to pay him rent is deposit money in a BOA account and send him a picture of the damn deposit slip via MMS.

Another reason I want to move.

I have a commercial lease with a huge management company and it is seamless every month.

My idea of a residence is NOT this.

Comment

Tried.. He wont return calls, texts or emails..

Plus, I've never met him, only way to pay him rent is deposit money in a BOA account and send him a picture of the damn deposit slip via MMS.

Another reason I want to move.

I have a commercial lease with a huge management company and it is seamless every month.

My idea of a residence is NOT this.
                          So you have called him and explicitly said "please call me asap because i need to break my lease but i would like to talk to you first about it". That would get me to call you back within 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post
                            So you have called him and explicitly said "please call me asap because i need to break my lease but i would like to talk to you first about it". That would get me to call you back within 10 minutes.
                            not in those words.

more like "call me please, very important, concerning my lease".

Comment

not in those words.

more like "call me please, very important, concerning my lease".
                              Well i don't know what to tell you then. Pretty strange. I do know those are the type people that will try to fuck you for 5 years in court though. Impossible to get hold of then impossible to get rid of....

Comment

Move the fuck out of the ghetto. You are a white nigger for living where you do!

Comment

Working...
                                X