Judge orders that $1 million be returned to dancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Every cop who does this should be held personally responsible. If quite a few cops start having to file for bankruptcy and have to pay higher premiums for auto insurance, credit cards and such because of a lower credit score due to that, then maybe they'll actually obey the law
    How many Army doggies are held to this standard?

Thought so...

Comment

• Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
      Oh, I should get over it? Really?

It's not that I care, it is just that you really seem to get drove up on threads of this topic, so it must hit home.

And I'm not judging, just watching your reaction(s).

Uh, hey there Einstein, I don't have to prove shit. It isn't my case. In all of these cases you tend to transform me from an observer to a participant. Why is that Brent?

I don't have a personal interest in this shit, but you make it out like I do every time.

I have a pay stub to prove I'm not. See how that works????

That's an opinion based on bias. You hate me and you don't even know why. It's not like I care, I find it funny you expend so much time and energy to try to insult me, but it's all your puny ass can do.

I was in "Who's who" in high school, finished in the top 3 of my Cryptologic Technician class, and had a chance to go to med school. But, in your opinion, I don't have the intelligence to make a decent salary doing anything else? That's it, you don't have any self worth so you take pot shots at others! Brilliant!

Everyone has a right to due process under the law. If you don't like it, too bad. It's the system we work under. Please don't try to convince others of your incorrect opinion on my beliefs. You have no comprehension of them.

Nice of you to (wrongly) include yourself in that group.

Awwww, shucks.

Again, save me the pity party. You might need some of that for yourself.

Oh, and Brent, I found out why you have such a hard on for me.....

This was you, wasn't it???? It looks just like you coming back from Dino's...

Stevo
      Originally posted by SSMAN
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Look at all you In Crowders trying to vilify Matt for no reason. Your Honor this is outrageous! I bet the "atta boy" PMs he gets all the time about trampling people's rights are going to be flying today!
        Oh, and my PMs can't compare to yours.

How's that chicken wing doing????

Comment

• Here's another article. Pay attention to the highlighted text.

A federal judge has ordered the government to return more than $1 million in suspected drug money to a California woman.

The Nebraska State Patrol trooper confiscated the money after a traffic stop near North Platte last year, but the judge said there wasn't enough of a connection between it and drugs.

"There is no nexus between the currency and any illegal activity," U.S. District Judge Joseph F. Bataillon said in an opinion this week.

He said Tara Mishra, of Rancho Cucamonga, was entitled to the money — all $1,074,900 of it.

At a bench trial in Omaha last month, Mishra said she earned it as an exotic dancer and had given it to Rajesh and Marina Dheri to be invested in a nightclub in New Jersey.

On the night of March 3, 2012, Nebraska State Patrol Trooper Ryan Hayes stopped Rajesh Dheri for going 93 in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 80 near North Platte. -PC for the stop

He and his wife said they'd flown to Los Angeles two days earlier to visit a friend and rented the Mercedes SUV to drive home to New Jersey, wanting to see the country and make several stops along the way.

Hayes gave Rajesh Dheri a speeding ticket and said they were free to go.

But then he asked if they had anything illegal in the vehicle, specifically weapons or large amounts of drugs or money.

Rajesh Dheri said no. So did his wife. They both gave Hayes permission to search it.

Troopers found two drawstring bags in the cargo area holding large Ziploc bags with rubber-banded bundles of cash — mostly $100s — along with dryer sheets. -Hmmm, consistent with drug money. Rubber banded (probably pre-counted) bundles of cash in plastic baggies (who on the board keeps their money in plastic bags???) and with DRYER SHEETS. You mean to tell me you want to keep your money smelling fresh, or hide drug scent?

They seized it, believing it was related to narcotics.

The Dehris originally said they were taking the money to New Jersey for their friends, Tasha and Rajat Mishra, for a business deal involving a nightclub.

-Yea, there's no drug kingpins in Jersey!

Troopers put them in handcuffs and took them, the rental car and the money to the patrol office in North Platte, where Debo, a drug-sniffing dog, indicated the smell of drugs on the money.

An officer called Rajat Mishra, who verified the story. And they found his fingerprints on the plastic bags that held the cash.

Tasha Mishra filed a claim to get it back, but the government argued she had no standing to object to the seizure because she wasn't in the car.

The U.S. Attorney's office argued the large amount of money, that it was bundled with hair ties and dryer sheets and the fact that the Dehris lied about having it in their vehicle all gave rise to a substantial connection to drug trafficking.

-According to DFWM, this is a happens on a daily basis!

But in his order Thursday, Bataillon found it was not enough.

The judge said fingerprints supported the story the Dehris initially told, that the money belonged to the Mishras, and the Mishras confirmed it.

At trial, Tasha Mishra, then seven months pregnant, and her husband said she'd claimed the earnings on tax returns and provided details about an agreement they had to buy part of a bar known as 46 Lounge.

She said she put drier sheets in the bags because the money smelled like an ash tray when she got it out of the safe deposit boxes.

Of course this is what they say a year after the seizure. After they get all the time in the world to make up a better story....

Bataillon said the court was somewhat troubled by a Nebraska State Patrol policy to convert the cash into a cashier's check and destroy the money, which means there's no way to rebut accusations it smelled of drugs.

Yea, this isn't cool. Evidence is evidence. You leave that alone until the court rules.

He said the canine alert had little value in the case because the government offered no statistical support to back it up.

"For all the court knows, there is a 90 percent chance that all money is drug tainted," the judge said.

In general, Bataillon said, the government "left too many unanswered questions and had a general failure of proof in this case."

He directed the government to return the money, plus interest since the day it was taken.

If the case can't be proven, then the only alternative is to do what the court did.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevo View Post

Stevo
            I laugh at your anger!

Comment

Here's another article. Pay attention to the highlighted text.

...The judge said fingerprints supported the story the Dehris initially told, that the money belonged to the Mishras, and the Mishras confirmed it.

At trial, Tasha Mishra, then seven months pregnant, and her husband said she'd claimed the earnings on tax returns and provided details about an agreement they had to buy part of a bar known as 46 Lounge.

Looks like all of your detective work and highlighting skills missed one itty bitty part. Tax returns, details of purchase regarding an actual bar...

Comment

• Originally posted by 03trublugt
                But then he asked if they had anything illegal in the vehicle, specifically weapons or large amounts of drugs or money.
                Wat?
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by bluecollar View Post
                  Looks like all of your detective work and highlighting skills missed one itty bitty part. Tax returns, details of purchase regarding an actual bar...
                  Who needs details when you can use rampant speculation?

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluecollar View Post
                    and:

"For all the court knows, there is a 90 percent chance that all money is drug tainted," the judge said.

So, even the judge acknowledged just because there is a smell of drugs on the money, doesn't mean it's "drug money."
                    Ford
                    GM
                    Toyota
                    VAG

Comment

• It's scary that this dude is in a position to completely fuck someones life. What an idiot.

Comment

Oh, and my PMs can't compare to yours.

How's that chicken wing doing????

I'm sure they can't. Even in person if someone brings up your name, we all share a look, a brief chuckle, and then change the subject to something more interesting, like snails fucking.

Comment

• The judge said fingerprints supported the story the Dehris initially told, that the money belonged to the Mishras, and the Mishras confirmed it.

Originally posted by bluecollar View Post
                          I can say that I claimed the money.....doesn't make it true. I can also say I planned to build my own space shuttle......

Are you really that gullible?????

Comment

• Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            It's scary that this dude is in a position to completely fuck someones life. What an idiot.
                            Having the ability to do so and making the conscious decision to do so are two completely different things.

Get it?

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              I'm sure they can't. Even in person if someone brings up your name, we all share a look, a brief chuckle, and then change the subject to something more interesting, like snails fucking.
                              But you admit to talking about me. My job is done.

Comment

• Can we give it a rest, fellas?

Comment

Working...
                                X