No announcement yet.

"Craft" beer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought you didnt like porters? good to see you come around! all styles of beer are good. i think ive tried most of the major styles besides hybrids i.e barleywine and such

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post

tyrone, any sites you'd recommend checking out for home brewing? i want to give it a shot
      Homebrewtalk.com has a ridiculous amount of info. I don't mind answering questions, either.

Comment

• Yeah I'm trying to branch out some and give it all a shot. We had some barley wine not too long ago and I hated it, guess that means a few years from now I'll dig it lol

Comment

• Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
          We had some barley wine not too long ago and I hated it, guess that means a few years from now I'll dig it lol
          They're definitely not something you can just dive in to and you may never really care for a certain style no matter how experienced your palate may be. I may have a bw once or twice a year. I like them, I just don't actively seek them out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
            They're definitely not something you can just dive in to and you may never really care for a certain style no matter how experienced your palate may be. I may have a bw once or twice a year. I like them, I just don't actively seek them out.
            Right on. Knowing how drastically my tastes have changed over the last year or two, i'm sure i'll give it a shot again. Even thought we're in a little bible town we have a lot of wine and beer festivals out this way so i get a lot of good opportunities to try new stuff. If ever you find something you like from up here, i'm happy to ship cases out to ya'll as long as beer + postage is paid.

Comment

• A friend brought some of theChive beers back from Austin, it is surprisingly good. It is made by Red Hook and chive just markets it.

Comment

my spoils:

upslope ipa (awesome)
                la fin du monde(delicious, tastes like a witbier and a german lager)
                lakewood hopp trapp(belgian style ipa? genius)
                rahr stormcloud(going to agree with tyrone, it's just not that good of an ipa. i taste honey, and it has the same taste as either their oktoberfest or gravel road. cant remember which)
                cedar creek elliots phone home(ok, drank half out of the can thought it was too carbonated, poured other half in a glass, much better)
                sixpoint resin(awesome)
                modus hoperandi(awesome)
                founders red rye ipa(awesome, love the caramel ipa style)
                left hand nitro milk stout(delicious, not even remotely as sweet as the left hand milk stout)
                sierra nevada narwhal(pretty tasty. at 10.2 abv, you can def. taste the alcohol in this bad boy!)
                southern tier 2x milk stout(good, not as sweet as other milk stouts ive had, bit of a smokey flavor too)
                left hand fade to black
                old rasputin russian imperial stout(fucking awesome, thank you shorty for recommending)
                Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 12-02-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Went to the Flying Saucer Friday and had the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and it was FANTASTIC. Normally I stray from any AB-Inbev products but made an exception since it's still a very limited edition beer. You can tell they didn't sweat the barrels at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
                    Went to the Flying Saucer Friday and had the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and it was FANTASTIC. Normally I stray from any AB-Inbev products but made an exception since it's still a very limited edition beer. You can tell they didn't sweat the barrels at all.
                    i cant say i've had anything worth mentioning from goose island.

Comment

i cant say i've had anything worth mentioning from goose island.
                      I'm not big on Goose Island, but the Bourbon County stuff is pretty solid.

Comment

• ive decided cold beer is not as good when your outside in the garage and it's 25 degrees. needs to be at least 15 degrees warmer than usual.

Comment

• But it's great by a fire. Brown Shugga tonight.

Comment

• We have a little pub (O'Briens) here in Temple with a surprising selection. Had the Live Oak Primus, their Smoaktoberfest and a Alaskan Tropplebock. The Primus of course was delicious, it does score a 98+ on Beeradvocate. The Smoaktoberfest was kind of meh, for a Rauch beer I look to Urbock as a standard. It's lofty but if you are going to do one do it right.

The Tropplebock was interesting. At 10.5% abv it was a steal at $5 a pint. There isn't really a class for a desert beer but this would be in it. Very sweet, thick and hardly no bitterness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                              Check out Total Wine. They've got some really great beer prices all around.
                              That ain't no shit, I was there for an hour the other day. When I got home the wife wanted to know where I was at since I told her I was going to the beer store. I told her that place is like a Toy's R Us for alcoholics!
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• In Fort Worth there is a huge Spec's on Bryant Irvin that's in a pricing war with the Total Wine on Hulen. There is also a Goody Goody not too far away so between these three they have some good prices. Regular Rahr, Hops and Grains, Deep Ellum and Southern Star stuff was like 50 cents more than a comparable Budweiser product.

Living here kind of sucks for a beer snob. Bombers are $4 higher in Temple/Waco than in Fort Worth. We have Specs stores everywhere and the Waco HEB stores have a good selection but they cost more and don't get all the good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X