No announcement yet.

Meeting people as a mechanic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man i get the boot question all the time. I will even pull the ball joint and jingle it like its a bell in front of the customer and they just dont get it.

Also lots of people just wanting me to add oil. Ugh. The Century i did new heads on last week looked like 30k oil change intervals while running Penzoil. LOL I tried to tell him a new motor was only $230 more and by the looks of his, i would go that way. Nope. heads only. He gave me hell on them too saying "My brother is a mechanic and says its just head gaskets!" No sir, here is the head. See this large crack in the combustion chamber? "You can weld that!" No. Its a $200 head. Sell the car or buy heads if you want it to run again.

On the downside i really felt bad for a dude today. Pulled in the lot in a 2008 Passat that I thought was a diesel with a leaky exhaust. As he parked i saw the oil GUSHING out from the bottom. I run out to tell him shut it down and then saw its the FSI 4 banger turbo. They shouldnt sound like that. Big hole in the oil pan. He said he hit something on the highway an hour ago or so, stopped at his appointment and saw the big puddle but was heading out for Mesquite anyway. He made it as far as my shop. Got it in the air and drained the last 1/2 quart out into a rag and it was like I wiped myself off after going to a nudie bar.
    I told him its gonna be over 5 grand. He asked if I could JB weld the hole and refill it with oil. Needless to say I pushed the car out into the lot and told him to call a truck.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Did get to work on a members sweet Z06 yesterday. Just simple hole torn in the exhaust from some road debris.
      Really makes me want another FRC.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Why would it be 5k to fix the oil pan on the VW?
        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

• Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
          Why would it be 5k to fix the oil pan on the VW?
          Did you not notice the part about driving it without oil... It will require a new engine with that oil pan!

Comment

Why would it be 5k to fix the oil pan on the VW?
            I hope that was sarcasm..otherwise you could definitely be one of Laser's customers
            Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
            I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

• He never specifically said the engine was ruined only that it was leaking badly. It's a fair question

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                I thought was a diesel with a leaky exhaust.

As he parked i saw the oil GUSHING out from the bottom.

They shouldnt sound like that.

He said he hit something on the highway an hour ago or so,

drained the last 1/2 quart out into a rag and it was like I wiped myself off after going to a nudie bar.
                hmmm...reading comprehension...guess you skipped it.
                Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
                I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

• Had an 08 is 250 yesterday come in, woman said the low oil light was on. Went to pull out the dip stick and it literally had sludge pull out with it and no reading after that.

She bought 5 quarts of Mobil 1, refused an oil change because she was putting new oil in it now

That's literally how people think about it, but if I'm putting new oil in it once and a while it doesn't need to be changed right?
                  Last edited by 4king; 02-21-2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by POSYJ View Post
                    hmmm...reading comprehension...guess you skipped it.
                    Hmmm, still don't see where he said it's ruined. You might argue it's implied, but that's an assumption I didn't make so I asked for some specifics.

Don't get so twisted guy

Comment

Hmmm, still don't see where he said it's ruined. You might argue it's implied, but that's an assumption I didn't make so I asked for some specifics.

Don't get so twisted guy
                      The part where a gasoline engine is sounding like it's a diesel, and has been driving without oil for about an hour?

That goes beyond implied.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by POSYJ View Post
                        I hope that was sarcasm..otherwise you could definitely be one of Laser's customers
                        LMAO!!!

Yes. Turbo gasoline engine that sounds like a diesel and has lots of glitter coming out of the oil pan means it needs new turn signals...... I mean an engine.

Comment

• Brother-in-law wanted me to check out his sister's truck to see why it wouldn't crank. Her husband was out of town and had been for a while. Before he left, he told her it was using about a quart of oil a week. I go over and hit the key and it will barely turn the motor over. Battery is good and jumping it is not helping. I look in the bed of the truck and see probably 20 empty oil bottles. It's the good stuff too from Rite-Aid or one of those other pharmacies. I ask her about all the bottles and she mentions what her husband had told her. I check the oil and it is the level is up in the dipstick tube! She had been adding a quart of oil every week without checking it. I drained it to a proper level and it started. Smoked and was sluggish for a while but eventually cleared up.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                            LMAO!!!

Yes. Turbo gasoline engine that sounds like a diesel and has lots of glitter coming out of the oil pan means it needs new turn signals...... I mean an engine.

Glitter! Oh, that's what you meant by the strip club comment. That went right over my head.... derp

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                              ...That same tech put an 4 wheel drive hub assembly on a 2 wheel drive truck a week before that and had the wheel fall off on the test drive. Luckily the shop owner knows his shit and didn't try to argue our part caused the damage
                              We had a shop do that a couple of weeks ago, except it was a 2wd hub on a 4wd. They wanted to warranty it (LMFAOROFLCOPTEROMGBBQKITTENS). When it got back to the store, it went straight to the dumpster.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Glitter! Oh, that's what you meant by the strip club comment. That went right over my head.... derp
                                I thought it meant there was water in the oil.
                                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X