Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by appelingogt View Post
    You mean the last 50 years...
    Agreed...maybe not 50, but certainly since the 70's/80's.

I made a good living from the late 80's to the late 90's as a mechanic, and I took pride in actually fixing things. But there were too many others that used every ticket as an opportunity to screw the customer or pencil-whip the warranty book. Those are the ones we can thank for that business becoming what it is today....mechanics are about as trusted as lawyers and politicians.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

• Talked to a couple of my Ford tech buddies and they both mentioned that there were issues with early 07 Rangers having an overly sensitive inertia switch. I will call him and see if he just wants me to throw an updated one on since they are only $35. Takes about 20 minutes to change and better justifies the diagnostics charge. I think thats the route I will go.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• I've tried being nice. Been slapped in the face every single time for the effort. Done being the nice guy, I give them a running car and not much else.

Comment

• Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          I've tried being nice. Been slapped in the face every single time for the effort. Done being the nice guy, I give them a running car and not much else.
          Just be straight up about things, and hold them accountable in turn.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            I've tried being nice. Been slapped in the face every single time for the effort. Done being the nice guy, I give them a running car and not much else.
            He's in a little different situation, if this was a walk in at a national account shop you charge the diagnostic fee and 1 hour labor and kick the car out of the bay

If its a 99 expedition on mismatched tires and duct tape on the seats I'd probably charge more. You know he would call you back two days later looking for a used battery or another used tire

Comment

• If it is a GOOD customer, make out the bill at full price as you would for anyone else. Then, mark it paid as a courtesy and tell him, "Come back to see us." Just my opinion.

Comment

• I'd probably have them bring me lunch and ship it. I'm not talking taco bell either, I want a gut pack.

Comment

• As someone who tends to go to the same mechanic for just about everything, I'd say ask about changing out the switch and charge for that instead. My guy tends to charge $25 to figure out what is wrong and deducts that from whatever the repair bill is and will sit down and show me what needs done and why. I've actually taken him a few vehicles and he told me there was nothing wrong that needed fixing. I tried to get him to add leaf springs to my F250 and he pointed out the truck is supposed to sit level instead of raked. Saved me a few hundred bucks and keeps me coming back.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Gut pack was delicious and they had a really good looking blonde working the right side window.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
                      Gut pack was delicious and they had a really good looking blonde working the right side window.
                      ... something I don't like about eating something called "gut pack"...
                      WH

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        ... something I don't like about eating something called "gut pack"...
                        Sux2bu.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• I ordered him a new inertia switch today and am only charging him .5 hours labor. His switch is too sensitive. Slam a door and it trips. I ordered the updated one. he is very happy.
                          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                            I ordered him a new inertia switch today and am only charging him .5 hours labor. His switch is too sensitive. Slam a door and it trips. I ordered the updated one. he is very happy.
                            Good move.. For a repeat customer, that's the way to go IMO.

Comment

• One of my other repeat customers. She has a stereo installed at Jacks Stereo. I remind her that I have installed 4000+ stereos and could have done it for her. The, for some reason, wired its power off the HVAC console which in turn burned out the $300 part and took out the fan controller. I fix it and unhook the stereo (as the stereo was also damaged) and tell her to come see me when she has the cash and I will put a much better stereo in for much less.
                              She goes back to Jacks and has them install the Pioneer I recommended. WTF she didnt have me do it is beyond me. She brings the car to me for EVERYTHING else. So I get the sob story that the deck makes lots of noise. I know they did not ground it properly but was busy so told her bring it back and I will fix it. For free. She still goes back to Jacks to have them fix it and now it randomly changes channels and dials her phone....... when you roll the windows up/down.
                              She just called me to see if I could fix it tonight. I reminded her I close at 5:30 and her not listening to me does not equate to an emergency on my part. LOL
                              Told her bring it in tomorrow since the AC compressor seems to no longer function now as well. Worse thing is its an 04 Santa Fe worth all of $500.

Comment

• She wants the D.

Comment

Working...
                                X