Meeting people as a mechanic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scott mc View Post
    course she is black, she is driving a either fwd chevy or brurick.
    ftfy

Comment

• Originally posted by EW View Post
      ftfy
      Could be a bro-ham.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Laser, do you ever get customers that say "Hey, this is acting up. Tell me what's wrong and then fix it?"

That's pretty much what I do and I can't be the only one to trust a mechanic. My Dakota is at Ford right now finding out what is up with the AC unit and I just asked to be notified what the issue is and then tell me when to pick it up.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
          Course she is black, she is driving a Either FWD Chevy or Buick.
          Wait a minute. . . does this mean I'm black? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            Laser, do you ever get customers that say "Hey, this is acting up. Tell me what's wrong and then fix it?"

That's pretty much what I do and I can't be the only one to trust a mechanic. My Dakota is at Ford right now finding out what is up with the AC unit and I just asked to be notified what the issue is and then tell me when to pick it up.
            Pretty much everyone does. LOL Sometimes they will try and mimic the sound as well. My 200 or so regulars know I dont play around and now the conversation is almost always the same. "Hey Bill, my cars fucked up. You got time today? Just call me when its done." I know most of them enough to know what dollar limit I can reach before needing to call them for approval.

Aside from that the only question that bothers me even though I realize the customer does not know any better is "How much for brakes?" I cant answer that question. A brake system is so much more than pads and while I also realize when they ask that question thats all that is in their heads it takes a long time to answer that question because I have to explain that a brake system does not just consist of pads. They get very confused or mad. So I just say, let me get it in the air and take a look. I will give you a FREE inspection. People hear free at a mechanics shop and they want it no matter what it is. Less than 30% of the people coming in for "brakes" actually only need pads and nothing else. The majority also need rotors, one or more calipers, wheel cylinders and a hose or two. Have had farmers INSIST the truck only needs pads yet I can plainly see the Hydroboost and master leaking like a SOB. You have no brakes because you have no fluid or boost!
            Had one lady get pissed for me "up-selling" her. She ran the pads to 10% and the previous brake job was a pad slap. The rotors were glazed and you could see the couple of mm of runnout on the rotor when you spin it. Tell her she needs new rotors. Car will continue to shake the wheel without them. Rotors are only $42 each. Nope, wasnt having it. Aint spending a dime over $100! Okay but I am not giving a labor warranty. Do the brakes and she comes back the next day complaining that her wheel still shakes and is worse when she hits the brakes.
            Really? You dont say?
            She demanded a refund. As luck would have it I had another 300 on the lift about to get brakes so I asked her if she had 30 minutes, it will be worth your wait. She agreed. Pulled her car in bay 3 and got it up and then had her come out and watch what we did. Me and my sidekick took about 15 minutes to install the new rotors on her car. She and I hoped in after I pumped the brakes back out and I had her drive down the road. She instantly realized her mistake as the rotors were SO bad that even when not using the brakes the wheel shuddered very bad before. Now it was perfectly smooth. She hit the brake pedal and we almost went into the windshield since the rotors were no longer pushing the calipers so far back the car stopped RIGHT NOW. The whole ride back she just waved her head back and forth and was making the "mmm, mmmmm, mmmm" sound women make when they realized they just fucked up. Got back to the shop and she never said a single word. Walked in the office and she handed me her debit card and still said nothing. I asked if she wanted to know the cost and she was still just waiving her head and making that noise. Signed the $175 reciept and went on her way. LOL

.................what was the question again?
            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              Wait a minute. . . does this mean I'm black? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• That's why I didn't ask "How much to fix the AC?" I know it's more complicated than some magic box that has to be switched out. I admit I don't know vehicles so I tend to bring pizza and cokes when I drop vehicles off. When I picked up the wife's car I dropped off 4 large meat lover's and a case of cokes as a thank you for dealing with me calling once a week to check on it.

Comment

That's why I didn't ask "How much to fix the AC?" I know it's more complicated than some magic box that has to be switched out. I admit I don't know vehicles so I tend to bring pizza and cokes when I drop vehicles off. When I picked up the wife's car I dropped off 4 large meat lover's and a case of cokes as a thank you for dealing with me calling once a week to check on it.
                  My customers that do stuff like that do get special treatment. You wanna make your mechanic happy, bring them food and drink. $40 for some pizzas will save you $100+ on your bill. True story.
                  I am trying to figure out what to bring my service writer at Audi as a thanks for all she has done. She got me a couple grand worth of work done on Audis dime and is giving me a brand new Audi to play with on Monday until mine is done. I gotta bring her something! LOL
                  Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                    My customers that do stuff like that do get special treatment. You wanna make your mechanic happy, bring them food and drink. $40 for some pizzas will save you $100+ on your bill. True story.
                    I am trying to figure out what to bring my service writer at Audi as a thanks for all she has done. She got me a couple grand worth of work done on Audis dime and is giving me a brand new Audi to play with on Monday until mine is done. I gotta bring her something! LOL
                    Give her the D
                    2012 GT500

Comment

• Yeah, everyone likes Dr Pepper.

Comment

Yeah, everyone likes Dr Pepper.
                        well normal people anyways

Comment

It's broken already?
                          1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

That was my thought. I keep people who work for me happy as much as I can. Food and drink as much as I can take care of. My handyman gets bothered every 2 hours to see if he needs tea, water, coke or sandwiches or cookies or cake if the wife's been baking.

Comment

I just can't even

You realize that is all I deal with every day. If you can't understand why your ac doesn't work then what makes you think you are even slightly competent enough to fix it. If you knew how an air conditioning systems works you wouldn't need some one to tell you what to fix

You do realize they are going to call you tomorrow and tell you that you need a new ac compressor and all the goodies and they want $1200

With my luck you'll be in my store tomorrow telling me you just need the compressor on your 99 dakota and you don't need the vacuum pump cuz you never needed it before in the 20 years you have been working on cars

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                                I just can't even

You realize that is all I deal with every day. If you can't understand why your ac doesn't work then what makes you think you are even slightly competent enough to fix it. If you knew how an air conditioning systems works you wouldn't need some one to tell you what to fix

You do realize they are going to call you tomorrow and tell you that you need a new ac compressor and all the goodies and they want $1200

With my luck you'll be in my store tomorrow telling me you just need the compressor on your 99 dakota and you don't need the vacuum pump cuz you never needed it before in the 20 years you have been working on cars
                                He is saying that he trust them to fix the he issue .not that he is going to do it himself. That's the way I read it.

Comment

Working...
                                X