No announcement yet.

Meeting people as a mechanic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really feel you missed your calling of being a writer. I mean you tell story's left and right and are almost always entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
      I really feel you missed your calling of being a writer. I mean you tell story's left and right and are almost always entertaining.
      he really is very imaginative, it makes you wonder. insert my gasser64 comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
        I tell ya, the stuff I hear from AZ drivers....... Just had one deliver some Motorcraft plugs and oil kit for an 04 Mustang GT we were doing preventative maintenance to. First he tells me I should have ordered the Bosch +4 plugs because it gives 30 more HP. I try and explain that modulars do not like gimmik plugs and that the +4 is shit because gap is an important thing. He then proceeds to ask me why I didnt order spark plug wires to go with the plugs......... dafuq? Its COP. He then tells me I should order the Fram oil filters next time because Ford parts are not any good (he drives a catfish). Really? A POS Fram is better than an FL820S? And its only triple the money? Sign me up Sparky! I would have tried to explain what an anti drainback valve was but I could see it was over his head.

Other places have them too. Monday a driver from another parts chain saw my Audi was back and I explained its still broken and shakes violently when accelerating. He said with utmost confidence that it needs a clutch. I exlained its an automatic and that the driveshaft is bent, thus the vibration. he then says "Maybe the timing belt jumped and thats why it vibrates. Yup, I bet thats what it is." No, I just told you what it is. "Have you tested your exhaust back pressure?" Wait, what, no. Go away.
        Right there with you.

The company i currently work for did not have a mechanic before i started working there.
        The fleet of trucks are Ford Super Duty, 6.2 and 6.7 engines.
        The had a few filters on hand which were all Microguard, O'reilly's store brand. I quickly began stocking only Motorcraft maintenance parts, and most of it is cheaper than the other crap

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
        through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
        We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
        my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

• Argh, some people.

You guys do Freon?
          Um, we recharge AC systems with refrigerant if that's what you are asking.
          Well mine is low. How much?
          It is $65 for AC diagnostics. That will allow me to find out where and why the system is leaking.
          Its not leaking.
          If its low, it is leaking. They do not consume refrigerant.
          Well its a small car.
          Okay.
          It blows cold. I think it needs oil. It makes a noise. *he then makes a strange noise* What does that sound like?
          Sounds like you need a diagnostics.
          *huffs* Well I am going somewhere that isn't going to rip me off.
          That would be here sir.

People are just strange.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• A good shop educates the consumer. Unfortunately, some (most?) people don't want to learn.

Edit: that said, the customer that is willing to learn is in a good position to be a long-time, valuable customer.

Comment

• Gotta love the old "It's not leaking, it just uses freon" line. Bitch, it's not engine oil.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                Gotta love the old "It's not leaking, it just uses freon" line. Bitch, it's not engine oil.
                A/C works but doesn't blow cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  That makes me like...
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• I have spent the last 4 days in bed, curled into a ball dying from a migraine. The wife decided to take the kids to school Monday and asked me to pull the car out of the yard. No problem. I wobbled my way to the car, and promptly buried it. 4 hours and 3 trucks and a tractor later I got it out. Coming home from picking my son up I noticed it was vibrating hard. Below 50, no problem. 55 slight vibration, 70 it was like being in a paint mixer.

I took it to the dealership fully expecting them to tell me bent wheel or broken this and hand me a bill for a few hundred bucks. I got a call today to come get it. No charge, they washed it and cleaned the mud out of the hubs. I can't say enough about these guys.

I took them 4 large pizzas and a case of cokes.
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                      That one always ticks me off. How many times i went to buy a car and they said it has a working AC only to find it does not work. "Well it blows!" Argh! So do you.

Did have a strange AC issue pop up today. I was in my trunk wiring up an amp and heard what sounded like when a semi air brake system purges or blows off only louder and close to me. I crawl out of my trunk and the Mark VIII is smoking. Car hadnt been run in 5 or 6 hours. Pop the hood and the AC drier had blown off the evaporator. Car was fine for almost 2 years since I overhauled its AC and out of nowhere decides to blow itself apart.
                      Damndest thing.
                      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

That one always ticks me off. How many times i went to buy a car and they said it has a working AC only to find it does not work. "Well it blows!" Argh! So do you.

Did have a strange AC issue pop up today. I was in my trunk wiring up an amp and heard what sounded like when a semi air brake system purges or blows off only louder and close to me. I crawl out of my trunk and the Mark VIII is smoking. Car hadnt been run in 5 or 6 hours. Pop the hood and the AC drier had blown off the evaporator. Car was fine for almost 2 years since I overhauled its AC and out of nowhere decides to blow itself apart.
                        Damndest thing.

Had the high side line blow on my 98 Formula when I was in a drive through. Scared the living shit out of me. Never heard of a drier doing that.

Comment

Damndest thing.
                          AC works, just needs Freon added.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            I have spent the last 4 days in bed, curled into a ball dying from a migraine. The wife decided to take the kids to school Monday and asked me to pull the car out of the yard. No problem. I wobbled my way to the car, and promptly buried it. 4 hours and 3 trucks and a tractor later I got it out. Coming home from picking my son up I noticed it was vibrating hard. Below 50, no problem. 55 slight vibration, 70 it was like being in a paint mixer.

I took it to the dealership fully expecting them to tell me bent wheel or broken this and hand me a bill for a few hundred bucks. I got a call today to come get it. No charge, they washed it and cleaned the mud out of the hubs. I can't say enough about these guys.

I took them 4 large pizzas and a case of cokes.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                              "Ya got mud in ya tars."
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

• I believe I have repeatedly said I'm not a mechanic. I can do oil change, tire change and some very basic stuff but beyond that, my cars go to mechanics. In general, they're too expensive for me to mess up.

The Dakota on the other hand? The wheel fell off and I grabbed a Chiltons. It was $800 and I didn't really think I'd cry if I broke something.
                                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                                X