• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
    Valve chatter is normal. I would not waste money on a valve job
    valve clearances = valve job?

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
      valve clearances = valve job?
      Yeah they are going to be slightly out of spec. Why just check them all if you wouldn't correct them immediately

Otherwise I could just charge 2 hours labor to tell you that your car needs a valve job and then charge you another 3 hours to adjust clearances

Originally posted by Comp cams home page #1 google search result
      Tighten the rocker nut until there is a slight drag when moving the feeler gauge. Next, rotate the engine until the intake pushrod fully opens the valve and then goes half-way back down. Adjust the EXHAUST rocker nut (with correct feeler gauge) using the same procedure. Repeat for all cylinders
      Last edited by 4king; 10-22-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• wut? i know how to check valve lash. he asked about valve clearances, and you said not to waste money on a valve JOB. surely you know the difference. also not all set-ups have rocker nuts, or pushrods, etc, etc..

Comment

wut? i know how to check valve lash. he asked about valve clearances, and you said not to waste money on a valve JOB. surely you know the difference. also not all set-ups have rocker nuts, or pushrods, etc, etc..

https://www.automd.com/25/how-to-perform-a-valve-job/

Here this should help you

Valve clearances are the small gaps between the tops of the valve stems and the part of the mechanism which presses on them to open the valves .

A valve job to me is adjusting the valve leash. I couldnt tell by your response if your giving me a hard time about how replacing a valve is considered a valve job or what.

most modern motors just don't burn a valve anymore and removal of the head to replace 1 valve on a dohc motor is a head job to me because I would want everything cleaned and resurfaced
          Last edited by 4king; 10-22-2015, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• uhh, nevermind...

Comment

uhh, nevermind...
              Sorry I couldn't tell if you were giving me a hard time. I grew up calling a valve job adjusting the clearances on the valves. I've never had to just replace a burnt valve and if he had that I would consider that head work on a modern car.

There can be a language barrier from old school to new school.

If I have mid understood something feel free to correct me though

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                Sorry I couldn't tell if you were giving me a hard time. I grew up calling a valve job adjusting the clearances on the valves. I've never had to just replace a burnt valve and if he had that I would consider that head work on a modern car.

There can be a language barrier from old school to new school.

If I have mid understood something feel free to correct me though
                haha no worries, i personally consider a valve job full on head off, guides, seats, etc.

clearances arent much to me, something i can do within 30 min or so on my honda motorcycle and car. the adjustable nuts are cake, the shim under bucket are a little more involved

Comment

haha no worries, i personally consider a valve job full on head off, guides, seats, etc.

clearances arent much to me, something i can do within 30 min or so on my honda motorcycle and car. the adjustable nuts are cake, the shim under bucket are a little more involved
                  Yeah sorry I give short responses as I can never over estimate the person who asks the question here at the parts counter.

You should hear Spanish terms for car parts there are 3 different names for a part depending where you are from

But back to the subject: my last honda civic with 300k miles saw no improvement in drivetrain chatter from adjusting the valve clearances. They were just loud. Having a general chain store technician check and a just your valves is a dice game and they could end up doing more harm than good, so my advice is not to bother having some one perform a "valve adjustment"

Comment

• i also wouldnt worry about valve chatter unless it was excessive. in my experience, anytime i couldnt hear them, they were on the tighter end of the spectrum, or out of spec on the tight side. in that case, especially on a motor that gets worked, you might burn a valve.

Comment

• Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                      What I gather from this story is a customer that knows absolutely nothing about mechanics tries to tell a professional mechanic what the problem is. Then this guy wants to buy a cheap part from the local autoparts store and have the pro install it.
                      He then commits to have this repair done on a weekend, and then blows the mechanic off without so much as a text, because the customer is an inconsiderate asshole that apparently can't google a fucking address, and then has the balls to get upset when the mechanic is upset about this.
                      I'll put up with a lot of shit from a customer, but don't fucking tell me that you're going to show up, have me stick around on a weekend, and then not have the common courtesy to tell me that you can't make it.
                      That and I am closed on the weekend but he needed help so I schedualed a couple customers to come in since I would be there and knew naynays issue was one of two things, both of which are easy.
                      People call me up or stop by all the time saying they know the problem and show up with a part and then get pissed when it does not fix their issue. Thats why I like to check for myself. With his I was going to just Power Probe the solenoid under the hood to see if it was bad and if it had energized I would have replaced the ignition switch at the base of the steering column. Both parts are cheap but with the old Fords it could be either one. Its usually the solenoid though with all the engine heat wearing them out. That and ones that run like shit so people lean on the starter for too long and burn the damn solenoid out.
                      Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                      What was the issue?

The starter solenoid? Just my guess on an old ford "under the hood" starting issue.

And you should have called him when you made up your mind to not stop in Waco. I am sure that's why he was irritated the second time you actually wanted to show up.
                      It was actually the second time he didnt show before I was aggravated. I was still nice to him on the second attempt. I still didnt swear or yell or anything I just made it clear I did not have any more time to waste on him, my shop is usually pretty busy and since I do all of the paperwork, parts finding, parts ordering and all diagnostics and electrical and AC work I just dont have time for people that do not place any value on my time. I like to think the best of people until they prove me wrong. Unfortunately people prove me wrong all too often.
                      Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                      Health Camp FTW. It's hard to beat Bush's too.
                      Health Camp is hit or miss. Usually the burgers are outstanding but every now and then its like they grabbed some McDonnalds burger patties and slapped them on some week old buns. Being they are 1/4 mile away we tend to go there a lot. LOL
                      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• puts me on ignore, still feel the needs to talk about me. this guy is another gasser64 for the uninformed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                          puts me on ignore, still feel the needs to talk about me. this guy is another gasser64 for the uninformed.
                          You came on here and blasted his business. I'd make damn sure everyone had both sides of the story too.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Its a shame that worthless taint licker posts so much. Even though I get to ignore most of what he says it appears he is visible in a quote.
                            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                              Back on topic...sort of
                              Is it common for no one to listen?
                              Yeah pretty much. The last time I saw my ex she was driving a V-8 Oldsmobile Aurora that overheated any time you took it on the freeway. For the uninitiated it's basically a Cadillac Northstar drivetrain in an Oldsmobile. Meaning they blow head gaskets regularly and the block case will leak. That and the 4T80E trans of this generation had a torque converter with a viscous clutch that leaked and a turbine speed sensor harness that'd break down and short out. At least they were FWD so the rear axle couldn't go out I guess.

One of my sisters bought a Grand Vitara, Nissan Altima with a 2.5, followed by an Eldorado before finally listening to me and buying a Camry. Which her ex husband ended up with, while her current hubby bought her a Smart Car. He drives an Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.0L so obviously an authority on reliable cars!

My in laws stopped buying mid sized GM SUVs with 200k+ miles finally though so there is hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                                puts me on ignore, still feel the needs to talk about me. this guy is another gasser64 for the uninformed.
                                I hope you don't want your opinion to matter. It's your online persona on this board that makes folks not put a lot of stock in your opinion.
                                Originally posted by MR EDD
                                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                                X