Missing 777

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big A View Post
    Telluride is a little over 13k feet in elevation, and I don't recall passing out the last time I skied there.
    I definitely get winded if I'm doing anything active over 10k, but I know we can survive fine at 13,500, especially chilling in an airline seat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big A View Post
      Telluride is a little over 13k feet in elevation, and I don't recall passing out the last time I skied there.
      Originally posted by jluv View Post
      Gotcha. But, I still don't understand why people would die (or even pass out) if the cabin pressure is equivalent to an elevation of 13,500 feet? And if it got higher, the masks would be out well before anyone was unconscious, right? What am I missing?
      You guys are healthy young people.

Old people fly, people with health problems fly, infants and children fly... they are all more susceptible to the side effects of lower O2.

All of that doesn't really matter though b/c the theory is most likley crap lol

Comment

• "Must have" pressurization threshold is between 16k-18k feet. It's safe to skydive anything below 16k without air, but once you approach north of 20k you need oxygen of some sorts.

I've jumped and pulled immediately many times at 15-16k feet. Not to say 13.5k wouldn't affect some, it's not dangerous to all.

Comment

• Let me start off by saying I know nothing about cabin pressurization, how it do dat, and what make it go. That being said, how it do dat? What make it go? What precautions and measures are in place to keep it from failing? I'm aware of the Payne Stewart situation, but it seems like cabin pressure failure is a rare occurrence. Am I not paying attention, or is this true?

Comment

• I've been on a runway preparing for take off and it was aborted because of cabin pressurization. We were delayed a long while and ended up boarding a different plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
              Let me start off by saying I know nothing about cabin pressurization, how it do dat, and what make it go. That being said, how it do dat? What make it go? What precautions and measures are in place to keep it from failing? I'm aware of the Payne Stewart situation, but it seems like cabin pressure failure is a rare occurrence. Am I not paying attention, or is this true?
              Pretty sure they bleed air from the compressor stage of the engines, cool it, etc, then plumb it into the cabin.

Past that someone else will have to answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                Let me start off by saying I know nothing about cabin pressurization, how it do dat, and what make it go. That being said, how it do dat? What make it go? What precautions and measures are in place to keep it from failing? I'm aware of the Payne Stewart situation, but it seems like cabin pressure failure is a rare occurrence. Am I not paying attention, or is this true?
                Basically, the cabin is airtight with pressure bulkheads forward and aft, like a big propane tank with wings. Things like antennas require holes in the pressure vessel, which are sealed with aviation-grade goop.

The air is pressurized by the air conditioning system and the cabin pressure control system controls the pressure altitude. It can be manually overridden, but generally automatically controlled.

In the event of failure, either system failure or pressure vessel leak, there are oxygen bottles hooked up to oxygen supply system. There are oxygen warning systems that alert pilots of emergency conditions, including aural warnings.

Passengers have the yellow masks with bags. Pilots have quick access masks, and sometimes backup masks in case the primary masks fail.

In the event of a decompression, pilots don masks and bring the aircrafy down to safe elevation.
                Men have become the tools of their tools.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• The pressure comes from bleed air and exits from regulated valves. iirc

Comment

• Also, in the case of Payne Stewart, that was likely due to a rapid decompression. Reports were that ice had formed in the interior of the windows.

It is rare that a decompression should be catastrophic but, as evidenced, obviously the danger is there.
                    Men have become the tools of their tools.
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• So the rig worker story has been validated?

Comment

• That letter better not be a fake. I would put money on it being the first and ONLY real piece of evidence indicating where the plane is.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          That letter better not be a fake. I would put money on it being the first and ONLY real piece of evidence indicating where the plane is.
                          I read somewhere else that it is legit. Doesn't matter though, a big plane like that falling from the sky and hitting water, there are going to be no survivors. Even if they somehow skidded to a stop, most will drown or die of the elements before they could get help...
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            I read somewhere else that it is legit. Doesn't matter though, a big plane like that falling from the sky and hitting water, there are going to be no survivors. Even if they somehow skidded to a stop, most will drown or die of the elements before they could get help...

But what about all those cushions that can be used as flotation devices..?

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              But what about all those cushions that can be used as flotation devices..?
                              haha, everytime I'm on a plane I lol at the instructions on what to do in case of water crash. Like yeah, those are going to save my life when we come crashing into the water, gravity is a motherfucker!
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                                So the rig worker story has been validated?
                                The ABC reporter who obtainen the letter said:
                                @ABC spoke with Richard Beaton w/Japanese Idemitsu Oil & Gas Co who hired Songa Mercur to drill & confirms email of Michael Mckay is real

7:32 AM - 12 Mar 2014

Then...
                                The letter from oil rig worker is filled w/details yet could be a hoax. Vietnamese officials are investigating

@ABC pic.twitter.com/6MSuNHZedU
                                — Bob Woodruff (@BobWoodruff) March 12, 2014

Vietnamese officials confirmed to ABC that they'd received the letter. Apparently, they found nothing in the water at the location specified by McKay.
                                Unsure if they are going to take a second look out there

Comment

Working...
                                X