Ebola on US shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
    its not rocket science. I work in a hospital donning PPE and taking it off is something we do every day. In fact, id say about 40% of the people in my ICU right now are on contact or droplet isolation. We do the same thing day in and day out.

oh and btw.. I hope the majority of the media gets ebola for all this bullshit fear mongering. Its a whopping 4000 people in the last fucking year. Who cares?
    No no, you are wrong. We're all gonna die.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• The nurse is a 2010 TCU grad.

Comment

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        its not rocket science. I work in a hospital donning PPE and taking it off is something we do every day. In fact, id say about 40% of the people in my ICU right now are on contact or droplet isolation. We do the same thing day in and day out.

oh and btw.. I hope the majority of the media gets ebola for all this bullshit fear mongering. Its a whopping 4000 people in the last fucking year. Who cares?
        Obviously you and your coworkers are the only people on planet Earth that are trained to don and remove PPE correctly. LOL, what a joke. That same arrogance is what has caused this woman to contract Ebola.

Personally I consider a pandemic that is on our shores, still spreading, has a 50% mortality rate, and has no cure to be 'newsworthy.' Or as you say, "Who cares?"

PS - I'm well aware of what we're being told - that our healthcare system and hygiene should keep this disease in check.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Interesting fact to put it in perspective.

From 1976-2013 there were 1,716 reported cases of Ebola by the World Health Organization. This year there has been 8,736 suspected cases, and 4,024 deaths.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Who cares!
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              Who cares!
              <--- I don't!
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                Interesting fact to put it in perspective.

From 1976-2013 there were 1,716 reported cases of Ebola by the World Health Organization. This year there has been 8,736 suspected cases, and 4,024 deaths.
                Yikes...

That sheds a lot of light...unfortunately people (as evidenced in this thread) want to wait for it to turn into a massive disaster before caring. Proactive vs reactive...and the stakes of being wrong are massively weighted against the reactive side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Yikes...

That sheds a lot of light...unfortunately people (as evidenced in this thread) want to wait for it to turn into a massive disaster before caring. Proactive vs reactive...and the stakes of being wrong are massively weighted against the reactive side.
                  I have to agree with this. I don't think this is being taken serious enough by the people in charge.

Comment

Yikes...

I bet you live your life in pants-shitting fear of what you may die from any day.

How many people die from seasonal flu each year in the United States?

The number of seasonal influenza-associated (i.e., seasonal flu-related) deaths varies from year to year because flu seasons are unpredictable and often fluctuate in length and severity. Therefore, a single estimate cannot be used to summarize influenza-associated deaths. Instead, a range of estimated deaths is a better way to represent the variability and unpredictability of flu. An August 27, 2010 MMWR report entitled “Thompson MG et al. Updated Estimates of Mortality Associated with Seasonal Influenza through the 2006-2007 Influenza Season. MMWR 2010; 59(33): 1057-1062.," provides updated estimates of the range of flu-associated deaths that occurred in the United States during the three decades prior to 2007. CDC estimates that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people. Death certificate data and weekly influenza virus surveillance information was used to estimate how many flu-related deaths occurred among people whose underlying cause of death was listed as respiratory or circulatory disease on their death certificate.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      I bet you live your life in pants-shitting fear of what you may die from any day.
                      What's the mortality rate of the flu?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        I understand your point - but it's more about percentages.

According to this...

FastStats is an official application from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and puts access to topic-specific statistics at your fingertips.

.5% of the people who get it die....

If Ebola spreads (and I realize it's still an "if") - a lot of people will die. I think the point being made, is do what it takes to make sure it does not spread. Right now it's very few people who have it. Better safe than sorry.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

• So can I panic today?
                          Originally posted by talisman
                          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                          Originally posted by AdamLX
                          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          Because fuck you, that's why
                          Originally posted by 80coupe
                          nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                          Originally posted by Rick Modena
                          ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

• Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                            So can I panic today?
                            Ill panic when the cowboys win the superbowl.

Comment

Yikes...

And people say zombies couldn't overtake the world because we'd wipe them out before they did. This is the reason why I disagree
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                                What's the mortality rate of the flu?
                                If you'd open your eyes and read, his post included mortality rate of the flu.
                                Originally posted by BradM
                                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                                Originally posted by Leah
                                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X