Proposed Bill Would Allow Cops To Collect Fines On The Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Bill Would Allow Cops To Collect Fines On The Spot

Austin, Texas – A new bill proposed in Texas would make revenue collecting even easier for local police, by allowing them to collect fines on the spot, via credit or debit card. The person receiving the fine would also have the option of paying court costs ahead of time.

The bill, 84(R) HB121, states that:

Under the procedure, a peace officer making an arrest of a defendant: (1) shall inform the defendant of: (A) the possibility of making an immediate payment of the fine and related court costs by use of a credit or debit card; and (B) the defendant’s available alternatives to making an immediate payment; and (2) may accept, on behalf of the court, the defendant’s immediate payment of the fine and related court costs by use of a credit or debit card, after which the peace officer must release the defendant.

Supporters of the bill say that this will help free up time and resources for the crowded court systems, or in other words, more effectively generate revenue. However, critics have pointed out that if this bill passes, it would effectively turn police into the judge and jury, allowing them to determine the guilt of a suspect and sentence them on the scene or at the time of arrest. Some have argued that a law of this nature would undermine due process, and strip people of their rights to a fair trial.

Looking at the big picture, if this sort of policy was adopted nationwide, it could be a blatant enough move to finally show the general population that the police are here to extort us, not protect us. If police were pulling people over and taking credit card payments on the side of the road, people would have a more difficult time lying to themselves about how their traffic stop was “for the common good.”

The bill was introduced this Monday by State Rep. Allen Fletcher.

See the full text of the document below:

H.B. No. 121 – Alternative means of payment of certain criminal fines and court costs
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Or they could change the drug laws and that would clear the courts.

Comment

That would be great. I got a ticket in Garland for turning right on red $300 dollars And one for no insurance my card was expired in my truck Pick cop

I go the next day to take care of it. Wasn't in the system yet. Guy goes this was just yesterday? Finally got the red light one payed. Then the officer didn't fill out the no insurance part right Had to go to the police building find a cop he found the officer and they fixed it. Then back to the ticket bulding to wait in line fucking hassle.. I was talking bad to the clerks and cops. Who has time to take off for this shit? Saw them giving another lady the run around also. I fucking hate Garland.

Comment

And how do you have due process when the officer can stop you, charge you and make you pay right there without a trial?
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

everybody hates Garland
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            everybody hates Garland
            The Mexicans love it

Comment

And he's a republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                And how do you have due process when the officer can stop you, charge you and make you pay right there without a trial?
                Right to a speedy trial? LOL

You know, this was how things were handled back in the day? Think of it as pleading "no contest."

Comment

That doesn't have a high possibility of being abused or anything. We can't seem to trust cops when it comes to basic common sense subjects like not shooting everyone and not harassing people while on a power trip. I sure as hell don't trust them to not extort money out of everyone. This will turn our police into a bunch of third world bribe taking asshats. Well, more so than they already are.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                    That doesn't have a high possibility of being abused or anything. We can't seem to trust cops when it comes to basic common sense subjects like not shooting everyone and not harassing people while on a power trip. I sure as hell don't trust them to not extort money out of everyone. This will turn our police into a bunch of third world bribe taking asshats. Well, more so than they already are.
                    I was ready to add that caveat if you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      People who want to would still be able to take it to court, I'm assuming. Doesn't look they're going Judge Dredd (probably not too far from that, though) and passing judgement and sentencing being done on the spot (unless the person actually wants to pay their fine on the spot).

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        People who want to would still be able to take it to court, I'm assuming. Doesn't look they're going Judge Dredd (probably not too far from that, though) and passing judgement and sentencing being done on the spot (unless the person actually wants to pay their fine on the spot).
                        They will scare and intimidate people into pleading guilty and paying the fine. Just the number of parents they would do this to during a traffic stop by threatening your child with a CPS abduction is terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          I was ready to add that caveat if you didn't.
                          It is fucking sad, too. We used to be a society that looked up to and respected the law, and that was not too long ago. Andy Taylor is gone. Cops have done this to themselves, and have no idea that they are the reason for the distrust. We have gotten to the point where people are now surprised of you like or trust cops anymore, and that really is sad. It shows very well where our society is.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                            It is fucking sad, too. We used to be a society that looked up to and respected the law, and that was not too long ago. Andy Taylor is gone. Cops have done this to themselves, and have no idea that they are the reason for the distrust. We have gotten to the point where people are now surprised of you like or trust cops anymore, and that really is sad. It shows very well where our society is.
                            We're turing into France, with a side of Nazism.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              We're turing into France, with a side of Nazism.
                              Throw in a boomerang and you have dohctr's dream vacation.

Comment

Working...
                              X