• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagon - Should I sell it?

Some points/info on the car....

- Scoggin-Dickey HO 350 crate engine with a hydraulic roller added
    - TH350 - light shift-kit, small stall converter
    - All new front suspension & steering (last winter) - QA1 coilovers, factory style disc brakes, quick ratio SS steering box.
    - 2.5" exhaust with 50-series Flowmasters.
    - MSD Ignition and distributor
    - American Racing TTII's - 17x7 front and 17x9 rear...Nitto NT450's that are still like new.
    - Aftermarket AC (under dash)
    - Factory style non-SS dash, but added white face gauges and tach.
    - Clean black interior with a fresh covered front bench and recent headliner...has a true comfort-grip steering wheel (not a repro) with SS horn cap.
    - Good paint - The paint is an older job (about 10-12 years), but was laid down really well...I did have some spots touched up last year, and we used leftover paint from when it was first painted....so it's a perfect match.
    - Re-pop steel cowl hood with functional flapper door.
    - Good Stereo - Kenwood head unit with all of the Bluetooth and other crap, front separates in custom kick panels, rear 6x9's, 12" sub, and a couple Alpine amps....real decent system for an older car.

Overall its a solid old car...it's had some small rust spots that were fixed with metal patches, but never any major body work. It has good chrome and trim, and a quality tint job. It's very dependable...great for road trips, especially like Cruising the Coast or Powertour. Even though it's just a 3-speed, it has 3.08 gears and ~28" tires on the rear, so it cruises down the hwy. 70-75 comfortably. I've sat in traffic in 100+ degree heat with the AC on, and it never gets hot either. It also rides really well for how low it sits....overall, it's pretty well sourced-out as a good cruiser....short or long distance.

Only a couple known issues with it - It has a trans leak when it's parked for more than a couple days...and it's coming out of the front pump, so the tranny will have to come out to fix it. One of the mufflers rattles inside...apparently a loose baffle plate. I think it will need a replacement muffler to correct the issue.

Anyways....it isn't actively for sale, but I've got a cash offer on the table for $17.5K as it sits with the bad muffler and trans leak. Based off of the description, am I selling myself short at $17.5K, or should I call it good enough? Or should I just keep the damned thing and put and OD and some better gears in it, switch the wheels, and continue to drive it on occasion? (See where this is going??...If I keep it I'm going to want to spend more money on it! )

We haven't been driving it nearly as much, and I've got 3 other projects on the burner now....I could use the garage stall it's been hogging for sure. I originally purchased this thing for my wife while I continue the never ending restoration on her convertible. She liked it a lot at first, but now that we've had it a while, she's just not as interested. I still like it, but I'm more interested in my C10 and the Chevy II that I picked up recently....the money from this thing would do a lot for both of them.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Sounds like a no-brainer given the info listed above -- sell it.

Comment

Badass ride. I'm no expert, but I think that could easily fetch over $20k.

Comment

If you're not into it as much and you have other projects needing attention my advice would be to sell and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
          Badass ride. I'm no expert, but I think that could easily fetch over $20k.
          I think if I pressed it and actually tried to sell it I could get closer to that. I went to the recent Leake auction in Dallas and based off of the condition of some of those cars and what I saw them going for, I think there is a good chance it would bring around $20k in that setting...of course there are fees to consider and it's always a gamble with an auction....but even after the fees, I'm a little worried that I could be leaving a couple grand on the table.

At $17.5K I'm actually taking a little bit of a loss, but I also don't think it's an unreasonable price, especially not having to deal with fixing anything on it, and not having to spend any time actually selling it.

Can you tell I'm a little conflicted?
          70' Chevelle RagTop
          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

If you already have a buyer lined up, I'd consider selling it. A hot rod wagon is cool, but the pool of people willing to shell out that cash (vs a 2 door coupe) is considerably smaller.

Comment

Sell. If you are considering it and have a decent offer it is time to move on it.
              2012 GT500

Comment

i always like that car aka yours

Comment

I'll trade you a pretty boss 2000 4Runner with an awesome dent in the tailgate for it.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                    Sounds like a no-brainer given the info listed above -- sell it.
                    Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                    If you already have a buyer lined up, I'd consider selling it. A hot rod wagon is cool, but the pool of people willing to shell out that cash (vs a 2 door coupe) is considerably smaller.
                    Good points. 20K is gonna be a tough nut with "minor patch panels" & a three speed. Besides, if you do roll it thru the auction, you have sellers fees to contend with. If it were mine & someone had 17.5 cash in front of me, they'd own a wagon. Especially if you have other projects.

just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      I agree here, sell before wagons fall out of favor. I actually thought the wagon fad had passed to be honest.

Comment

Awesome car Jason. But if it's just sitting cause yall don't really cruise it no more then take the cash and use it towards your other projects. Always liked that car though.
                        1997 viper gts
                        1986 turbo mustang
                        1987 Buick grand national
                        1972 nova

Comment

wagons will always be baller, but if you're that close to "market" price with the issues you outlined, I'd take the money and run
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

how much would it sell for on gas monkey garage?

Comment

Sell. It's cool but not sitting around not being used cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X