Clear All

• US rig count down 87 this week.

Total US count: 1456
    Down 315 from this time last year.

(I was off by one)

Comment

• Damn...

Comment

• Yeah man I'm still on the Transocean Development Driller 2. Its parked at the dock here in Gran Canaria and Exon Mobil is contracting it to drill off the coast of Angola.

Comment

• Paid $2.26 today for 93oct. Fucking assholes.
          sigpic

Comment

• Thank the refinery unions for the strike...

Comment

• Strychnine see what you can find out about what's going on off the coast of Angola. The Transocean rig I'm on is heading out there at end of month. Exon Mobile plans to drill wells for the next 2 years. I overhear stuff but don't ask any questions and I have nothing to do with the drilling side. Exon Mobile is spending quite a bit of money to refurbish this rig though so they must know something.

Comment

• Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                Strychnine see what you can find out about what's going on off the coast of Angola. The Transocean rig I'm on is heading out there at end of month. Exon Mobile plans to drill wells for the next 2 years. I overhear stuff but don't ask any questions and I have nothing to do with the drilling side. Exon Mobile is spending quite a bit of money to refurbish this rig though so they must know something.
                Offshore is doing much better than land based. GOM is going strong, and I know western Africa has good resources.

4 months ago:
                Eni announced Wednesday that it discovered oil in Block 15/06, in the Ochigufu exploration prospect, in deepwater offshore Angola. Oghigufu is the 10th commercial oil discovery made in Block 15/06. The new discovery is estimated to hold 300 million barrels of oil in place.
                10 months ago:
                The Angolan National Concessionaire Sonangol, Cobalt and the Block 20 partners – Sonangol Pesquisa e Produção and BP Exploration Angola (Kwanza Benguela) have announced the results of the drill stem test for the Orca #1 pre-salt deepwater exploration well in Block 20 offshore Angola. The well was successfully tested at a facility-constrained rate of 3,700 bbl per day of oil and 16.3 million cu ft per day of gas with minimal drawdown (approximately 1%) in the upper Sag section of the discovery.
                “The Orca discovery is by far the largest and most significant oil discovery to date in the Kwanza Basin and is potentially one of the largest oil fields in Angola,” said Joseph H. Bryant, Cobalt’s Chairman and CEO.
                Looks like your sister rig just got a contract in that area also.
                Dec 19, 2014: "GSF Development Driller I – Awarded a two year contract in Angola at a dayrate of $382,000 ($279 million estimated backlog). The rig was previously idle."

Transocean chose to scrap 7 rigs recently, but I think they were low-spec mid-water rigs, not high-spec deepwater like what you're on.

Jan 7, 2015 - Offshore specific info here
                Africa: a development hotspot in 2015

Content analyst at Infield Systems Limited, Catarina Podevyn, says Africa is expected to hold a 15% share of offshore capital expenditure over 2015, up 10%, led by developments offshore Angola. In West Africa, offshore Ghana and Congo will also see increasing expenditure, she adds.

"Total's giant, the Egina development offshore Nigeria, is anticipated to be the single most capital intensive project offshore West Africa over 2015, acting to drive down Angola's leading, albeit still dominant, share in the region," Podevyn says.

According to an International Energy Agency (IEA) special report published in October 2014, almost 30% of global oil and gas discoveries made over the last five years were in Sub-Saharan Africa, which reflects a growing global appetite for African resources.

Recent gas discoveries in Africa include the large Mamba and Prosperidade field offshore Mozambique. Meanwhile, oil has been found offshore Kenya by Pancontinental Oil and Gas NL. The find is reported to be the first oil discovery off the East African coast.

Senior writer at Platts, Robert Perkins agrees that Africa is set to be a "huge hotspot for exploration offshore, especially deepwater blocks". However, he cautions that although there are a lot of wells planned there, they are extremely costly.

"You could argue it is fairly costly, so [the region] is vulnerable to CAPEX constraints if oil companies begin to reel back on exploration due to a lower oil price," Perkins adds. "There is a lot of difficult geology and it can be a tough environment in terms of government dealings, which complicates things further."

Comment

• H&Ps yard has grown from 16 to 18.

Comment

• Development Driller 1 is the one I'm on. Yes it's been in mothballs for a long time. We are overhauling the mooring winches. They've actually never been used since commissioning 10 years ago, as they used Dynamic Positioning on previous outings. They're definitely using them this time though.

Comment

• We are going to work on the Deepwater Nautalis down in Brownsville at end of March. Probably be my next hitch. We finish here in 2 to 3 weeks, then a month off then probably head out there.

Comment

• Ahh gotcha. You said development driller 2 in an older post.

Comment

• I certainly could have lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                            Offshore is doing much better than land based. GOM is going strong, and I know western Africa has good resources.

4 months ago:

10 months ago:

Looks like your sister rig just got a contract in that area also.
                            Dec 19, 2014: "GSF Development Driller I – Awarded a two year contract in Angola at a dayrate of $382,000 ($279 million estimated backlog). The rig was previously idle."

Transocean chose to scrap 7 rigs recently, but I think they were low-spec mid-water rigs, not high-spec deepwater like what you're on.

Jan 7, 2015 - Offshore specific info here
                            Yeah one of those low spec rigs is parked a few spots down from this one. It's pretty sad looking. DD1 is a cruise ship compared to it.

Comment

• Are any of you familiar with America's Energy Network? A good friend of mine built their TV set, and I guess the station is set to premiere today.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Angola is the hotspot for drilling. We send a ton of product there for construction of supporting facilities and have done so for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X