X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotortrash View Post
      I've been employed as a helicopter pilot for the last 6 years.

The typical path is to acquire private, then instrument, commercial, and Instructor ratings. (The instrument can be optional, but it makes you more employable.)

Once you're an instructor, find a job at a flight school. Instruct until you have 1000-1500 hrs.

Get hired on in the Gulf, flying to offshore oil rigs, or a tour operator (think Grand Canyon, Vegas, MAYBE Hawaii) Do this until you have 2000ish hrs. total time, and 1000 or so turbine helicopter time.

Now you can start looking in the EMS, Law Enforcement, news industries, etc. It might be a while before you find exactly what you want, but good things come to those who wait.

The downside is it is EXPENSIVE to learn to fly, and you will not make much money until you get past the instructor stage. Even then, its not airline pilot money. You will likely have to move to find jobs.

The upside? You GET to go to work! This is the most fun you'll ever have. It gets better every day. I've been a helicopter mechanic for over 20 years, thought I had it made. Never thought I'd be able to fly for a living. Definitely glad I made the commitment.

The curriculum can be a little difficult, but if someone like me can do it, anyone can.

Let me know if you want any more info. I'd be glad to help if I can.

As far as job availability, you just need to be willing to move. The jobs are out there, and getting better every day. Helicopters are being used for more and more jobs, and the largest pool of pilots is still the Vietnam Vets. They are getting older by the day, and retiring all the time. As these positions open up, the job market gets better and better.
      Thanks man! Very informative. Do you fly for Epic? I wouldnt have a problem moving, although ideally I'd like to stay in Texas. Would it benefit me in anyway to get my A&P? I was a flight engineer on CH46s in the military, it wouldn't take me as much time to get one as someone starting from scratch. (also where I got the helicopter bug from).

TCCD Will take me through Private, Instrument and Commercial, would have to go somewhere else for Instructor as of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
        Thanks man! Very informative. Do you fly for Epic? I wouldnt have a problem moving, although ideally I'd like to stay in Texas. Would it benefit me in anyway to get my A&P? I was a flight engineer on CH46s in the military, it wouldn't take me as much time to get one as someone starting from scratch. (also where I got the helicopter bug from).

TCCD Will take me through Private, Instrument and Commercial, would have to go somewhere else for Instructor as of right now.
        No longer associated with Epic. I was their Director of Maintenance before my current position as a pilot/mechanic for a water district.

The A&P can't hurt. Especially if you can do it simultaneously at TCC. It will definitely make you more marketable.

Comment

No longer associated with Epic. I was their Director of Maintenance before my current position as a pilot/mechanic for a water district.

The A&P can't hurt. Especially if you can do it simultaneously at TCC. It will definitely make you more marketable.

Ah I see. I wouldnt do it through TCC, they accept none of my military courses, I'd have to get some kind of FAA stamp then use one of the schools that allows you to test out.

Comment

Is working part time when you first start out a reasonable expectation?

Comment

Ah I see. I wouldnt do it through TCC, they accept none of my military courses, I'd have to get some kind of FAA stamp then use one of the schools that allows you to test out.
              Sounds like you may qualify to go directly to the written exams due to your military experience. If that's the case, DO IT! Small time commitment for a huge asset. There are places you can go that once you get the sign off, they teach the written material, then provide you the oral and practical test. Takes a week I think.

Is working part time when you first start out a reasonable expectation?
              Yes, but the more time you put in the quicker you get to making better money.

You're in a unique situation though. You might be able to find a school where you can work as a mechanic while you complete your flight training. Once your training is done, you come on as an instructor and still do part time mechanic work. Then you can actually afford to eat while you instruct.

Comment

Sounds like you may qualify to go directly to the written exams due to your military experience. If that's the case, DO IT! Small time commitment for a huge asset. There are places you can go that once you get the sign off, they teach the written material, then provide you the oral and practical test. Takes a week I think.

Yes, but the more time you put in the quicker you get to making better money.

You're in a unique situation though. You might be able to find a school where you can work as a mechanic while you complete your flight training. Once your training is done, you come on as an instructor and still do part time mechanic work. Then you can actually afford to eat while you instruct.
                Thats a pretty good perspective on that. I know there's a school in Dallas that does this, need to see what exactly I need to do to get the FAA stamp and test out.

Comment

Working...
                X