Calming the mind before an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
    Good luck!! Mention DFWM and I'm sure you'll get the job!! Just tell them you are
    Gasser64 on here and they will know you are a genius.
    Fuck they'll probably make you the CEO!
    WH

Comment

This process has been a test of patience for sure, but it'll be over soon enough. I'm going in on Friday for my final interview, for which they've blocked off 4 hours. The boss-to-be's boss is flying in from Redmond, and the entire local team will be there.

I'm cool as a cucumber at the moment, and feel completely blessed to have been given the opportunity to be considered for the role. Talk to me Thursday afternoon though, and you may get a different answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        Same here, just on the Cali scale, good ol' "sunshine tax.".

I'm not gonna lie, this new gig would certainly put our family a few steps closer to financial freedom, but if it doesn't work out the bills will still get paid.
        That should be a calming agent. No matter what happens, you're still covered. So relax.

Go win them!
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Have a few strong crown and cokes. Just bullshit them real good in there.Chances are they will be bullshitting you

Comment

Good Luck today! You got this!

Comment

The interview is tomorrow, and I'm ready. I drove down to San Jose for a meeting this morning, which gave me some quiet time in the car to center myself, and bask in life's gifts beyond the pending change. I'm going to have fun tomorrow, and what will be, will be.

Comment

There ya go man. I think it will work out. Pray and ask for clarity. My strategy has always been to steer the interview in the direction of conversational rather than Q&A. Disarm them and talk as if you have the job, "What would I be doing starting day 1, and what does it look like in 30 days, 90 days, 6 months from now as I begin to grab ahold of more and more responsibility", etc...

When they ask if you have any questions from them, keep asking and asking til they are tired of it. Ask them why you got to this final interview and what they saw in you that made you one of the top candidate. Use that feedback to expound on the key points that are your strengths.

That shit will stick out in their mind. My last question always is something like... "We've all put a lot of time and effort into getting to the point were we all sitting right here, and I'd really like leave here knowing what's on your mind....."

Don't ask, "When can I start?" That's a cocky question that usually falls flat and causes a nervousness in the room.

Check your tie and dry your hands one last time if your palms are sweating a bit. Make sure you don't have a bugger in your nose, LOL. Greet em with a firm handshake and look them in the eye. Most of this you know, just refreshing you since you haven't interviewed alot.

Let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  The interview is tomorrow, and I'm ready. I drove down to San Jose for a meeting this morning, which gave me some quiet time in the car to center myself, and bask in life's gifts beyond the pending change. I'm going to have fun tomorrow, and what will be, will be.
                  Yeah - stressed or not - can't really change much. The stress makes them not see the real person they are hiring though.

I'm switching jobs next week, keep the ball rolling sir. Sometimes change is good. All jobs have crap, but a change in the crap sometimes is nice.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers Chris, They had me block of the entire day, which is way too long to be crawling out of my skin, and leaves zero room for faking it. I'll give them my best, and pray that they make the right choice.

Congrats on the new gig Ceyko, fortunately this new crap comes with a higher price tag, though I wouldn't mind a lateral shift at this point, this process makes me realize it's time for something new...

Comment

Damn...a full day? I guess I've gotten close to that...but not a solid 8.

Last minute advice...ask yourself what's the worst that can happen. That should calm you right there because this is america and it ain't bad.

Comment

Good luck, dude!

This may sound dumb, but go out of your way today to help an old lady across the street, feed a homeless person, or just smile and compliment a few random people that you see on the street to make their day.

On one hand, you're setting yourself up for some good karma to come back to you, but I think you'll boost your own inner awesome person, feel kickass about yourself, and really have the confidence that you deserve great things to happen to you. Even if you don't actively think those things in your head, it will be there subconsciously, and I guarantee you it can't hurt.

Another thing is to truly believe that you've got this. Say it outloud. Tell your close friends and family that it's a done deal, and you're just going through the necessary steps to make it formal now. I'm a firm believer that positive thought and willing something to become true have profound, real effects on life. It's a great cycle, too - with positive outcomes come more positive thoughts, which lead to more positive outcomes, and so on. The exact same cycle or slump happens to people who think negatively, so stay out of that trap.

Again, best of luck to you, even though you won't need it. That's your job - go fucking take it.
                        Last edited by jluv; 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Best of luck, Aaron - you got this!

<-- in the same boat, flying to our Corporate Office in a few weeks as I'm going for my (now retired) boss's old job.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                            Best of luck, Aaron - you got this!

<-- in the same boat, flying to our Corporate Office in a few weeks as I'm going for my (now retired) boss's old job.
                            hook it up!
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You're absolutely right Ruff, the worst that could happen is that I get to go back to current job that I enjoy, well that I mostly enjoy, traffic down in the bay area blows nuts. What makes that a little weird is that I'll be working directly with whomever gets hired, if, in the small chance, it's not me. It so happens that one of the panel members for tomorrow's round table was at the meeting today, so we had lunch afterwards, and had a nice chat.

I try to live like you're suggesting every day Jared, but I've been trying to be extra nice lately. Partially due to karma, but mostly because it feels good. I'll honestly be surprised if I don't get the job, but there's still just the slightest bit of apprehension.

I do appreciate the support gents, tomorrow's going to be a long day...

Comment

My interview for my job in San Francisco went perfect because I didn't let myself get that worked up about it. I was going for a final round for a stock picking job in 2010, to even get to that point was a home run. Jobs in my field are extremely competitive and at that time, there were hardly any available anywhere. I always prepare (I try to hit 40 hours of prep for every interview) but I always get incredibly anxious.

Even though this job was a grand slam if I got it, I kept reminding myself that I wasn't crazy about it b/c we'd have to move to San Francisco. My flight the night before got delayed, I got to my hotel a little after midnight and then was up at 4am to start getting dialed in. My interview was from 6am until 4pm that day. These interviews are brutal, most difficult questions you can imagine, some guys try to make you crack. I was relaxed as I'd ever been though, b/c I kept telling myself it was no big deal if I screwed it up b/c I wasn't crazy about moving to SF. It was cold, gloomy, expensive as hell, no family, no friends, etc.

I ended up not being anxious at all and killing it - I knew I had it when I walked out Friday afternoon and they called me Monday morning with the offer.

Bigger point - not necessarily convincing yourself you aren't crazy about it ... but remember that things are absolutely fine if you don't nail it. I wasn't sure I wanted to move to SF, so everything was fine by me if I didn't crush it. I stayed relaxed, calm, and nailed it.

Maybe some of this is helpful - good luck.
                                Originally posted by davbrucas
                                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X