Who knows lost title procedures? Texas DMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows lost title procedures? Texas DMV

I found an old k5 I want to buy in California that the owner lost the title to. I ran the Vin and it isn't stolen. He says he will give me latter stating it was lost, but will that fly when I get it back here to Texas to try and title and register in my name? Anyone else dealt with this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

just get a bonded title.

non-issue based on what you've stated
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

You'll have to get a bonded title for the truck. It's expensive and it's a royal pain in the ass, not to mention your truck will have 'bonded' on the title for three years. Legally, it is fine to drive or sell the truck with a bonded title, but we all know it carries a stigma for a potential buyer. There's also a chance that you (or a subsequent owner) will have to surrender the vehicle if it turns out to be stolen.

The process is mostly documented here: http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or...-with-no-title

If you're set on buying "that" truck, then use the situation to your advantage and negotiate the price down.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

it was a painless process the one time I did it
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

It is really not that big of a deal.

I used these people a couple times and the whole process was very straight forward.

I believe there is also a member here who offers the service.

Comment

Thanks, it's a great looking 88 K5 blazer that runs great for $1200, seems like a good deal already

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
              Thanks, it's a great looking 88 K5 blazer that runs great for $1200, seems like a good deal already

What's it gonna cost to get it back to TX though, even if you go pick it up, you're out a few hundred for gas. Seems like a lot of hassle for a thousand dollar blazer, but then again, only so many are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                it was a painless process the one time I did it
                glad to hear it

It was a pain in the ass for me.

Let me guess - the vehicle you're talking about had a history of being registered in Texas at some time. Is that right?

Comment

Make sure it doesn't have multiple years of registration fees against it. You can't do anything title wise until those are clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    What's it gonna cost to get it back to TX though, even if you go pick it up, you're out a few hundred for gas. Seems like a lot of hassle for a thousand dollar blazer, but then again, only so many are available.
                    $450 to get back to Texas, so I'd be $1650 into a rust free, 114k mile, mechanically sound 1988 K5 Blazer. I just figured I could fix a few cosmetic things and get at least $4k-5k for it here in the south. The title thing is the only thing I was concerned about.

Comment

I want!
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
                        Make sure it doesn't have multiple years of registration fees against it. You can't do anything title wise until those are clear.
                        Even if it's from another state? It has right at $1200 in back registration and penalties in California, but i figured if I came here I could not have to deal with that. Does it transfer state to state?

Last edited by SMKR; 06-09-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

It was pretty painless the two times I've done it and was about $300 each time. If you have the info of the K5 call your insurance and see if they will tell you the price of a surety bond for it then add whatever it takes to register it in Texas.

I used TWFG insurance in Robinson the two times for the surety bond.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                            It was pretty painless the two times I've done it and was about $300 each time. If you have the info of the K5 call your insurance and see if they will tell you the price of a surety bond for it then add whatever it takes to register it in Texas.

I used TWFG insurance in Robinson the two times for the surety bond.
                            Just called Farmers, they dont offer that they said.

edit: thanks, Ill call TWFG tomorrow.

Comment

You'll be at the county title office, and there is almost always a place within walking distance that will sell you a bond policy. How convenient.

PS, the minimum value they'll place on a vehicle for bond is $4000, regardless of what you paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X