No announcement yet.

Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty easy phone call. I should hear from the hiring manager tomorrow or monday, calling directly from iraq. 60 hours a week (damn i was expecting 84) and a salary.
    Full year commitment. I've got some real thinking to do about that. A full year. But I don't have shit going on right now, so I don't see why I wouldnt. Shit would be like a financial rocketship for me.

edit: the lady did say it's tax free but you have to pay 15% to Iraq? That's kind of a ton.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
      edit: the lady did say it's tax free but you have to pay 15% to Iraq? That's kind of a ton.
      First $96k (or whatever it is up to now) will be tax-free. But paying 15% to Iraq is a red flag for me. Maybe you misunderstood something?

Comment

• If they offer you anything over 100K take it. Get your foot in the door. With no expenses back home you can save a ton.

The tax deduction for overseas exemption is around $104 or maybe a little more for 2016.

You will pay in your regular contribution of 8% to SS and Medicare. Thanks Obama.

You want to make sure you are on a W2 and NOT a 1099. If you are on a 1099, you are responsible for the whole 15ish% of the SS and Medicare and it makes doing your taxes a complete pain in the ass.

I would take a 1099 job but it would have to be north of $150k for the position I am in. Your salary requirements may be different.

Good luck. Hopefully they call you back with the offer.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike K View Post
          First $96k (or whatever it is up to now) will be tax-free. But paying 15% to Iraq is a red flag for me. Maybe you misunderstood something?
          I'm pretty sure I heard her correctly. She said "of course it's tax free in the US, but you do have to pay 15% in Iraq.

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
          If they offer you anything over 100K take it. Get your foot in the door. With no expenses back home you can save a ton.

The tax deduction for overseas exemption is around $104 or maybe a little more for 2016.

You will pay in your regular contribution of 8% to SS and Medicare. Thanks Obama.

You want to make sure you are on a W2 and NOT a 1099. If you are on a 1099, you are responsible for the whole 15ish% of the SS and Medicare and it makes doing your taxes a complete pain in the ass.

I would take a 1099 job but it would have to be north of $150k for the position I am in. Your salary requirements may be different.

Good luck. Hopefully they call you back with the offer.
          Kieth, money is basically all she talked about. She made it sound like it was already a done deal. She asked what I was thinking, and I said "I'm open to discuss it, I've been doing a little research on what to expect"
          She replied with, "so like $90-$100k"? I told her $100 would be the absolute lowest I'd even consider and she sounded like that was doable. To be completely honest though, now I want to shoot for $120k. Obviously after 15% taxed it would only be $85, which just isnt worth it. There's also a 5% bonus if you complete the full year, and I'd get 26 days leave (two 13 days leaves)
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Clearing 85 your first year is pretty good if you ask me. You will still make a little more when you combine in travel reimbursement for R&R, paid days of leave, etc.

Remember, getting in is the key. My first year with KBR in 2006 I made a little over 75 and only made more each year.

Comment

• Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
              Clearing 85 your first year is pretty good if you ask me. You will still make a little more when you combine in travel reimbursement for R&R, paid days of leave, etc.

Remember, getting in is the key. My first year with KBR in 2006 I made a little over 75 and only made more each year.
              Keith, I come seeking advice man. I got an offer an I'd like your opinion on how to proceed. I didn't want to call or text this early and wake you up. Respond here or hit me up when you see this?
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Keith, I come seeking advice man. I got an offer an I'd like your opinion on how to proceed. I didn't want to call or text this early and wake you up. Respond here or hit me up when you see this?
                I'm up, text me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• News on potential ground combat troops in Somalia.

Al-Shabaab has been steadily increasing it's attacks over the past 6 months.

My project here in Agadez is finished, or at least for the reason I was hired in for. I'm sort of in limbo right now until my next site is approved.

Comment

• Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                    News on potential ground combat troops in Somalia.

Al-Shabaab has been steadily increasing it's attacks over the past 6 months.

My project here in Agadez is finished, or at least for the reason I was hired in for. I'm sort of in limbo right now until my next site is approved.
                    Has there been any major changes in anything regarding pay in the new year, or with the new president?

This has been a long ass 90 days for me. Should have 30 days left before my clearance is back.
                    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Has there been any major changes in anything regarding pay in the new year, or with the new president?

This has been a long ass 90 days for me. Should have 30 days left before my clearance is back.
                      Pay will always stay the same for an individual position per the initial contract with the government.

We expect to be changing contact companies in the next 2 years and I anticipate pay going down, not up. It is just the way these things are done. Without a promotion, I'll make less if I stay on board when that happens.

Comment

• Finally got some good news.
                        It's been a long process, but I just got my security clearance today.
                        Next step is drug screen, which is this week, and a physical on monday.
                        Accepted the position Dec 3rd
                        completed security clearance on Jan 3
                        Finally cleared on May 11th.

baghdad here i come.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Nice! Congratulations dude!
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Good luck.

Comment

• Did you already order your cowskin rugs?

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                                Did you already order your cowskin rugs?
                                Nah man, im actually just saving for a c6 z06, my absolute dream car (moderate standards lol). And probably pay off my mortgage or put the remaining cash towards 2-3 acres of land.
                                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                                X