Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
    Sounds like a great place full of opportunity.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/agadez-t...bya-1437002559
    If you couldn't find articles such as this, I wouldn't be here either. It's unfortunate that the job is where instability, war torn, and beneath 3rd world behavior are the norm.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• This is by far ranks in the top 3 or 4 of the wildest things I have gotten myself into. Only difference is this is a 24/7 experience.

Living on the economy in a hotel, eating local food, cruising the town running errands, visiting banks, ATMs, hanging out with locals, drinking local beer, we even found the local whore houses (completely on accident said our local driver = bullshit). Hell today we were offered AKs, RPG7, PKM, Russian pistols. I entertained the conversation until it was apparent he was for real. "2 days from Libya. Anything you want." Yes, I have a price list. lol.

The article that GrayStangGT posted is spot on the truth. This is a huge thoroughfare for trafficking. It is right there out in the open here. The human trafficking is at least. I have yet to see a weapons market like you see on TV (yes, I know, TV). That is actually what lead to the above offer for AKs, etc. We are right there in the smugglers backyard and they are already showing that they aren't happy. Even though the mission here has nothing to do with it directly, there will be an indirect impact for sure. They even tried to give us a show of force last night against our presence. I'll be happier and my job will be easier when we can move onto the base.

Comment

• Pics/vids of said show of force?

David

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
          Pics/vids of said show of force?

David
          Meh, just got within 50 meters of a perimeter tower and cranked out 3 rounds from an AK into the night sky.

It is a probing and harassment tactic. They were measuring the response from the tower guard and the base.

Just a message to us here that we aren't the only ones with guns in the area.

Comment

• Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
            This is by far ranks in the top 3 or 4 of the wildest things I have gotten myself into. Only difference is this is a 24/7 experience.

Living on the economy in a hotel, eating local food, cruising the town running errands, visiting banks, ATMs, hanging out with locals, drinking local beer, we even found the local whore houses (completely on accident said our local driver = bullshit). Hell today we were offered AKs, RPG7, PKM, Russian pistols. I entertained the conversation until it was apparent he was for real. "2 days from Libya. Anything you want." Yes, I have a price list. lol.

The article that GrayStangGT posted is spot on the truth. This is a huge thoroughfare for trafficking. It is right there out in the open here. The human trafficking is at least. I have yet to see a weapons market like you see on TV (yes, I know, TV). That is actually what lead to the above offer for AKs, etc. We are right there in the smugglers backyard and they are already showing that they aren't happy. Even though the mission here has nothing to do with it directly, there will be an indirect impact for sure. They even tried to give us a show of force last night against our presence. I'll be happier and my job will be easier when we can move onto the base.
            Damn, homie. That sounds like some Bakaara Market kind of shit. They definitely do things a little different in Africa. Keep your ears up, as if you need to be told.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• But here are some pics of Agadez.

Last edited by KBScobravert; 04-26-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• How many guns are you carrying?

Comment

• Nuts on the bush meat?

Comment

• Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    How many guns are you carrying?
                    All of them.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                      All of them.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• Damn, screw that. I will stay in my nice cool office reading legal documents. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                          How many guns are you carrying?
                          Security through obscurity and minimize our exposure to maximize our protection. For now. I'm sure in no time we will fold up on to the mil base. Until then, if we need guns, we will just have to find speed instead. I have no faith in the Niger military coming to our aid.

The right people have the military grid reference for various places for us. So depending on the emergency they can come to us if we just can't move. They have all our numbers etc.

In the event of "an issue" we all have go bags and keep other necessary items on us. I keep my bags early packed whereas other guys literally unpack to move in. We have designated pickups and an exit strategy to evacuate and make our way to the base.

I carry at all times, 2 cells (1 has 2 different local Sims), an emergency set of credit refills, a Sat phone, GPS, even a wireless Hotspot for Internet access, water, contents from 2 IFAKs and a envelope of money to bribe or buy my way out of trouble.....probably only enough for small problems though.

Right now the threat level for us (civilians) is low. But we are maintaining a low profile and exercise good personal security. Once the main part of our contract starts up, I expect it to change. It will really change once the mil do their thing but hopefully we will be on base by then and under their protect all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BradM View Post
                            Damn, screw that. I will stay in my nice cool office reading legal documents. Thanks.
                            But where is the adventure in that? I don't want to grow old in an office. I want to be an old man who looks back at all the shit I did in life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                              But where is the adventure in that? I don't want to grow old in an office. I want to be an old man who looks back at all the shit I did in life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Have you seen the cockroaches in some of these offices? Down right demonic man!
                              Hell I fought one carrying off my No Spin Zone coffee mug this morning, and the bastid had the nerve to fill it with fresh coffee he just made - from my Starbucks stash.
                              Fucking brutal I tell ya!

David

Comment

• Right so how much is a RPG with no nfa act involved?
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X