Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
    STAN is the shit but they do block the good sites. I have a 1t hard drive full of pron though. As long as our network lets us on torrent sites I will be good.
    I'm not there, i'm at The Rock. And a VPN is good regardless of where you are.
    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
      Virtual Private Network? I run Gom on Google Chrome and Betternet on the phone. But i'm on Hadjinet and they block a lot of shit.

^^^^ This

Better to be able to surf what you want. I missed the Super Bowl last year cause I didn't have one. I signed up for the NBC ap to watch online only to get the "broadcast rules don't allow us to stream it out of the states" message. From what I understand they don't cost much.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
        I came back in Sept from a year and a half in Kuwait. The week we decided I was going to do another year a suicide bomber hit a mosque there. I had promised the wife if anything happened in country I would bail. She didn't even know about it when I messaged her with dates to find an airline ticket for me. I loved the money and the job was easy other than working outside in the heat. But a promise is a promise.

Is 7 months enough to get you tax free? I thought it was 330 days out of a tax year for that? I know I had to do an extension and vacationed in Europe for two weeks not to bust through the 330 (left April 15th so had to do an extension till then) When I came here on vacation my tax lady freaked thinking I was coming home for good. She was tracking it to the day to ensure I had a "good" tax year. They specialize on oversea stuff.

Good luck over there and don't forget to set up a good VPN before you go.
        How was the money in Kuwait? You can pm me if you want.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            Yep. And I like the odds already

Comment

New passport came today. I got word on Saturday that we won't be leaving until after the 1st. My boss was supposed to get more info today when he went in to their office. He's been traveling and out of the loop. Hopefully we can chat tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                That'll make things easier for the Holidays.
                Yep. I come off rotation on the 23rd and am off until the 30th. With any luck I can put in my 2 weeks notice sometime before the 30th. They are gonna let me go on the spot anyways.

Comment

so you're saying I need to get my shit together really quick if I want some wiring help?
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    so you're saying I need to get my shit together really quick if I want some wiring help?
                    Yes.

Comment

I don't know you, but have enjoyed your posts. Godspeed on this adventure!
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Have fun man, with 2 kids no way I could personally do it again unless I absolutely had to do it. However, kids are kids and will just be happy to see you when you get back.

It is a more interesting line of work that most things stateside though and if you can stay out of country long enough the tax break is motivating.

Anyway, good luck and I hope it all works well for you.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          I don't know you, but have enjoyed your posts. Godspeed on this adventure!
                          Thanks man. As long as we have Internet that isn't restricted to death, I will still be here. I'm just not sure how much I can disclose about where we are or what we are doing or even if I will want to. There are a lot of Somalians in the US sympathetic to ISIS and Al Shabaab in their home country. In Afghanistan OPSEC was a concern but this will be a whole new ball game. OPSEC and disclosing personal identifying information or travel will definitely be more of a concern for me. Heck, this thread may dissappear after awhile too. It is going to be the adventure of a lifetime in this career field and one heck of a resume bullet point.

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          Have fun man, with 2 kids no way I could personally do it again unless I absolutely had to do it. However, kids are kids and will just be happy to see you when you get back.

It is a more interesting line of work that most things stateside though and if you can stay out of country long enough the tax break is motivating.

Anyway, good luck and I hope it all works well for you.
                          Being on a 15 on and 6 off rotation now has helped my daughter get used to the idea of daddy not always being at home. We talk a lot on the phone though while I'm gone so I hope we can continue that. I might finally figure out Skype too.

My tax game is on point. I just have to make this job last 365 days and it will be good to go.

Comment

Being on a 15 on and 6 off rotation now has helped my daughter get used to the idea of daddy not always being at home. We talk a lot on the phone though while I'm gone so I hope we can continue that. I might finally figure out Skype too.

My tax game is on point. I just have to make this job last 365 days and it will be good to go.
                            I forget about the ease of video comms these days compared to 10-15 years ago. Facetime may do as well.

Those video sessions will make all the difference in the world to both of you.

Take care
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

In Afghanistan OPSEC was a concern but this will be a whole new ball game. OPSEC and disclosing personal identifying information or travel will definitely be more of a concern for me. Heck, this thread may dissappear after awhile too. It is going to be the adventure of a lifetime in this career field and one heck of a resume bullet point.

Have DiAnn shoot me a text when needed... I can snipe Skinnies from long distance with my new toy if she spots for me.

David

Comment

I am still on, but the wait for the word "go" is killing me. I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks while everyone was on vacation for the holidays. Got a call on New year's day that the State Department is wanting to take over us instead of the contract falling under LOGCAP. Not sure if that is good or what. Word is that they making a decision this week.

I'm ready to go, last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X