Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny
    I knew some people that were LOGCAP that moved to State when the drawdown occurred. Their companies were not getting paid and their contracts were not getting renewed before the previous expired. Some went a couple of months without pay, only IOUs.

I think it was mostly an overwhelming load by the State to take them all on at once, but I'm not too sure it's common practice.
    luckily I will be paid by the company.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Yes, but those companies that weren't getting paid were telling the guys in country that they were getting IOUs.
      I can see that with mom and pops. publicly traded companies shouldn't have those struggles making payroll.

I get your point though. I worked for a small outfit who was a sub of fluor. there were some sketchy times.

Comment

After reading your thread about CDL driving I was curious about what happened here.
        QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Thanks Obama...
          I think the delay is due to the election year.
          Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
          After reading your thread about CDL driving I was curious about what happened here.
          Yep. Exactly why that thread. CDL as an intermediate measure while I keep working other angles.

The latest was a job I'm slated for in Mogadishu keeps getting pushed to the right on the calendar. Last I heard had a soft target date of June.

If you follow the news in Africa much, US special operations community has been fucking Boko Haram and AQ in the face these last 2 weeks. Going on a offensive they killed about 150 guys who were training to attack US and Africa forces in Mogadishu. That was followed a few days later with a capture mission of one of the head dicks. I'm sure that things are ramping up but spending money on base construction and contracted services is on hold due to the campaign and election processes.

I have my resume in with some other companies in Afghanistan but they armed security postings that probably pay shit and are pretty high risk given the current climate there also. When you see phrases like "immediate need" "no combat deployment history needed", etc, you can deduce, shit pay for shit work. But feet in the door are all I need.

Comment

Lol! Brings back memories, I had some pictures too but they were lost long ago.

Comment

Ya, avoid that crap like the plague. They'll give you a clapped out AK, taken from the hands of a dead Somali kid, an expired level II vest and teamed up with former cooks that have awesome combat stories.
              2 different type of jobs. Somalia is a security management role not overseeing a guard force but a security process. The stuff in Afghanistan would be me as actual guard force on bases. Tower guard, ecp, rover stuff.

You know I've played the game long enough to spot a shitty deal when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                Lol! Brings back memories, I had some pictures too but they were lost long ago.
                memories of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                  memories of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                  Africa, deployments, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    Africa, deployments, etc...
                    Oh. I did some time in Congo, Zaire and Sierra Leone back in the 90s when I was in the Marines. We were staged up in Congo to go fuck up Mobutu and evac US personnel. Ended up in Sierra Leone right afterwards and evacuated the US Embassy and about 3,000 Africans with supposedly ties to the embassy there.

Comment

I did a bunch of flight security missions all over the place, the old AK reference just made me think of a "guard" at a place we stopped in the middle of no where in Ethiopia. Old dress uniform with ripped pants that were way too big, shirt halfway unbuttoned, sandals, and a beat up , AK with on mag. He was guarding a run down little building by sitting in front of it on a plastic lawn chair.

Comment

Stay tuned. Big newscoming hopefully by Friday. I got the call to make sure I was still wanting the spot in Africa. Position is even better than the Mogadishu 7mth contract. This is full time with no scheduled end. I'll be all over the shit hole areas of operation there.

Comment

Cheers to that.
                          Get some
                          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                            Stay tuned. Big newscoming hopefully by Friday. I got the call to make sure I was still wanting the spot in Africa. Position is even better than the Mogadishu 7mth contract. This is full time with no scheduled end. I'll be all over the shit hole areas of operation there.
                            Are these DoS contracts?

Comment

Good luck. Head on a swivel!
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                                Cheers to that.
                                Get some
                                I am going to call him tomorrow to go over the details for me. If there is an opening in the conversation I'll see if there is a way to push your resume to the right folks.
                                Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
                                Are these DoS contracts?
                                I'm not sure. My guess is DOD but I could be wrong. I'll ask tomorrow.
                                Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                                Good luck. Head on a swivel!
                                Thanks Charles.

I got a second call today. The position is approved. I'm approved for it. The start time is expected to bewithin 2-3 weeks. When he called back today I couldn't talk much but we are going to go over the details tomorrow, like pay, locations, travel, leave, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X