Those with concrete/paving knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
    So it looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. I told the GM who grabbed the owner and went out and discussed it with the contractor. Contractor brought his engineer and the city inspector and all of them said it was OK. Contractor said he's pouring 4000 PSI concrete and that it will be fine. They're pouring concrete now, certainly to hide the shitty job.

David
    4,000 psi is a lot for a parking lot. Either way you are going to have a extremely wavy lot or parts which are way too thin. Cracking is going to happen but unless you only have light cars with with inconstant thickness you will have problems here.

Chairs are spaced at 48" EW and from the pics it looks like he did that okay. There, again with uneven soil the top of concrete will be wavy. Sorry

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    Negative. Rebar corrodes all the time, especially when the concrete becomes damaged. It lets moisture and other contaminants in to attack the rebar.

And roads never need to be repaired either, right? Not every project needs coated rebar, and I didn't say this did. The question was asked why coated rebar, so I answered it. Concrete is porous, and all sorts of contaminants will attack the rebar. You don't have to search long to find failures due to corroded rebar. Remember the walkway that collapsed at the Charlotte Motor Speedway years ago? Corroded rebar. I've worked on parking garage repairs in cities like Baltimore where rebar, conduit, and everything in sections of the concrete was corroded away. The rebar is of far greater importance to a bridge, that's why they're using it there. The added cost doesn't outweigh inexpensive repairs for standard roads, parking lots, etc.

It's an epoxy coating. Since you're dealing with pool decks and added factors like chlorine or salt and other chemicals, the coating is ideal. Obviously the concrete is going to get wet, and as the moisture penetrates the concrete it takes the contaminants with it.
    Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
    I use it when building pools and it is what my supplier stocks. Using premium materials and building it strong is also part of my sales pitch to prospective clients.

I pull up decks that are ten years old on a regular basis and frequently find nothing but dust where there used to be rebar.

The coating is just some kind of green paint. I see it being used when roads and bridges are being built and like I said, it is what my supplier stocks.

I am not trying to leave an impression that I am an expert on this subject. I do not do parking lots. What I do works around a pool so I assume that it will work in a parking lot.

If your supplier has epoxy he also has black rebar. Also the pool should have a plaster over the concrete which should protect it even more. Either way epoxy is better(and more expensive), I wish more structures had epoxy, but honestly only is needed when salt would be involved. Like the top deck of an bridge. that when the roads is salted when it freezes, the cracks in the deck allow the salt to hit the rebar. without epoxy coating the rebar will have corrosion. Our company makes both so unbiased here.

Comment

I am not trying to leave an impression that I am an expert on this subject.

Comment

There is a difference from corroded and rust. All rebar will have a little rust. Even if it doesnt it will once concrete is poured. Concrete does have water in it.

Comment

Here's what the city is doing across the street:

WH

Comment

Originally posted by airshark360 View Post
            If your supplier has epoxy he also has black rebar. Also the pool should have a plaster over the concrete which should protect it even more. Either way epoxy is better(and more expensive), I wish more structures had epoxy, but honestly only is needed when salt would be involved. Like the top deck of an bridge. that when the roads is salted when it freezes, the cracks in the deck allow the salt to hit the rebar. without epoxy coating the rebar will have corrosion. Our company makes both so unbiased here.

Chlorine in a pools water becomes salt eventually so every pool has elevated salt levels when compared to the water that it was filled with. That could be why I bust out relatively young decks that have nothing but rust dust where there should be rebar.

I use high PSI shotcrete for pools but I am not sure how it differs from concrete. Even if my supplier had black rebar I would not use it.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I use high PSI shotcrete for pools but I am not sure how it differs from concrete. Even if my supplier had black rebar I would not use it.
              It's because it's black, isn't it...?
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                THATS RAYSIST!!!11

David

Comment

I use it when building pools and it is what my supplier stocks. Using premium materials and building it strong is also part of my sales pitch to prospective clients.

I pull up decks that are ten years old on a regular basis and frequently find nothing but dust where there used to be rebar.

The coating is just some kind of green paint. I see it being used when roads and bridges are being built and like I said, it is what my supplier stocks.

I am not trying to leave an impression that I am an expert on this subject. I do not do parking lots. What I do works around a pool so I assume that it will work in a parking lot.
                  Why not? You try to come across as a fucking expert on everything else. At least be consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                    That is damn funny. The real reason is that I never go cheap on materials in anything that I do. That way of thinking is how I do my personal stuff also and not just my work stuff. Every task that I take on I do to the best of my abilities using the best materials and techniques that can be had.

When building a pool I use two layers of rebar and 12" of shotcrete instead of the industry standard of one layer of rebar and 8" of shotcrete and I pour an equipment pad vs throwing a precast pad down like everyone else does. When I load ammo I use XTP bullets when cheaper plated lead bullets would be almost as good for banging targets at the range. I use $9 hose clamps on my car, etc.....

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    Why not? You try to come across as a fucking expert on everything else. At least be consistent.
                    The turtle has come out of his shell to chastise me; I feel so special.

Edit: Usually when I comment on something it is because I have training or experience in the subject being discussed. This topic is something that I haven't really studied and my experience is limited to a very narrow range of work so I will gladly defer to people with more experience and training.
                    Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 11-23-2016, 08:10 AM.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I didn't even know there were different kinds of rebar. I thought rebar was rebar.
                      WH

Comment

Working...
                      X