Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Canadian truck...any "gotcha's" to be aware of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real quick before I have to head out. I'll respond to some of the other posts later. I think I need to rule this one out though...

I guess the third party hosting is done for.... I can't seem to embed anymore.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      For that price you can get a brand new truck, maybe not as loaded, but pretty nice, and no miles, plus warranty.
      Well I already have an 07 extended cab Sierra SLE, 5.3L, cloth interior, etc. I need to repair the engine but I'm kind of in a pinch and need a truck. I've been wanting to upgrade to a crew cab and 4wd plus add some "nice to have" features. I don't upgrade trucks often so this would most likely last me 10 years.

Originally posted by scootro View Post
      just go buy a new truck. do you need all those fancy Denali upgrades? $36 grand yikes!!
      Well, yeah It was close to $60k new.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        Well, yeah It was close to $60k new.
        yes i know but still just go buy a new chevy

2017 Silverado WT (2WD, Crew Cab, Short Box) $38,880

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

Yeah I know, but with the exception of the crew cab, I already have all of that. If I'm going to upgrade and have a payment, I want to at least spoil myself a little.

What about the surface rust? The under carriage of the body seems alright and he said it's mainly surface rust on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            Real quick before I have to head out. I'll respond to some of the other posts later. I think I need to rule this one out though...

I guess the third party hosting is done for.... I can't seem to embed anymore.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/ci...x.jpg.html?o=2
            For a truck with supposedly 46k miles it appears to be in rough shape. The bumpstops are missing from the perches and the perch appears to be rusted a little deeper. Hard to tell if the shocks are mismatched in the rear or if the paint the dealer applied to the undercarriage has so much overspray the drivers shock is black. there is a lot on the underside of that truck I wouldn't want to see in a 46k miles truck

Comment

It spammed me as soon as I clicked the link, I think I saw a rusty muffler.

It's your call but I'd want a better deal if I'm coming from out of state.

Comment

thanks guys. I'm going to pass on it. I didn't realize the "black" was spray paint to make it look newer that it really is. I didn't even notice the painted shock, lol. I saw the perch but didn't realize that was the bump stop and that IT was missing.

Thanks for being a second set of eyes for me.

Comment

Ya rust is like cancer and will keep spreading unless eradicated ($$) - making a good move.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The next one is in Florida so I'm hoping I don't run into a similar situation when I ask for pics.

Comment

I figured I'd keep my truck questions to this thread rather than start a new thread for random questions....

So next question... Do you really need 4WD to launch/load boats at the boat ramp? I don't have a boat but I might some day. This would really be the main reason I'd want 4x4. I've had 2wd for the longest time and have really only been stuck twice. There was probably another two times that I almost got stuck and a 4wd would've been nice. On the 1-2 days it sleets, I usually stay home. Those times are few and far between so I'm really questioning the need for 4wd.

I found a 2wd 6.2l with a z60 package and I'm wondering how fun that would be...
                      Last edited by GeorgeG.; 07-12-2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

One last question...

So I bought a truck locally, got a pretty good deal on it if you ask me. I put 10k in cash down. Now I got a letter from the dealer saying they reported the transaction (Form 8300) to the IRS. What's the implications of this? Had I thought it would be an issue, I would've put less down (10k is the magic number to report) or would have gotten a cashiers check.

Comment

Depends on the ramp, I've personally seen a 2 wheel drive power stroke not be able to pull a light weight jet boat out. It would get to the algae line, spin and slide backwards. I consider 4wd a must even if I only use it twice a year, plus you get most if not all the extra cost back on resale.

Even a 10k cashier check they will send that form in. I had the same thing happen 4 years ago and nothing ever came of it. I put 19k down, split between cash and a cashiers check and got the same notice.
                          Last edited by GrayStangGT; 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Depends on the ramp, but my dad used Chevrolet Astros my entire childhood to launch and pull his 18ft bass boat and never had any problems, even in the rain. I used my old formula firebird to launch and recover our seadoo several times

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                              Depends on the ramp, I've personally seen a 2 wheel drive power stroke not be able to pull a light weight jet boat out. It would get to the algae line, spin and slide backwards. I consider 4wd a must even if I only use it twice a year, plus you get most if not all the extra cost back on resale.

Even a 10k cashier check they will send that form in. I had the same thing happen 4 years ago and nothing ever came of it. I put 19k down, split between cash and a cashiers check and got the same notice.
                              ok, cool. I'm not too worried since I pulled it out of savings. I mean if the IRS wanted to dig, they can dig as deep as they want. It's not like I sold a kilo to get the money, lol.

Thanks for the info. I did spring for the added costs of 4wd. I was concerned after watching several videos online where newer trucks were getting washed out in the lake while attempting to load or unload a boat...just didn't know what the problem was that caused that to happen.

Comment

Around here a 4X4 is a must on a boat ramp ..steep and deep

Comment

Working...
                                X