No announcement yet.

Attorney: Family of 'swatting' victim wants officer charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It almost looks like what I would call a 'premature' discharge. I have seen videos of a couple of other 'accidental' discharge type police shootings and they were very similar. My theory in these cases is that the officer doesn't necessarily intend to shoot, but is at the ready with their finger on the trigger, hyper-focused. When the 'suspect' makes any unexpected movement, even slight, the shooter tenses / twitches / etc and inadvertently pulls the trigger. I would even go one step further and posit that the officers weapon probably had an aftermarket or otherwise lighter trigger pull, increasing the likelihood..

Obviously that is just huge speculation on my part..

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      This is why you never come outside if the police are outside of your house wanting you to come out and you haven't done anything. Let them try to come in after you unless they slide a copy of a warrant under your door. If you make them come after you and you fire on them you will be just as dead but you will have the satisfaction of possible killing a few of the murderers who hide behind a badge and use is as the cover for your murder. You may also be like me and survive the first assault and then you will have a double dose of satisfaction by being able to look at your fallen foes while talking major shit to the next group who will be coming after you.

Remember folks, the upper hand is always to the defender and minimal preparations beforehand will have major consequences for anyone coming through your door. Wing walls just through every outside entry door or a wire rope curtain that can quickly be installed, bright lights shining in the direction of the door, a mannequin (one of a child holding a rifle would also make things really fucked up for the invaders) holding a rifle directly in the line of sight of anyone coming through a door, mirrors facing the doors, and wire rope trip wires that can be installed using carabiners through rings installed just above the base boards throughout your house. I have an an/vss-1 aimed at my door and things that restrict movement for several feet if you are trying to come into my house quickly.

When our founding fathers spoke about their fears of a standing army what they were talking about is law enforcement as we know it today. Other than the cost they would have been very pleased with our professional all volunteer military that we have. The police in our country would terrify them.

Edit: All of this shit talking aside; the police are constantly being placed in an impossible situation. They can only do what they are told to do and have no way of distinguishing the real deal from the fake deal until they have made an arrest and can sort through things. Despite my belief that the officer who fired the shot should be held accountable for the mans death I have plenty of sympathy for the circumstances he found himself in.
      You are bat-shit crazy, but I'll be damned if it isn't entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        This. Unfortunately only the caller will see prison time.
        I agree. He does deserve time too, but from what I'm seeing this cop needs a bit of time behind bars. The Wichita police's handling of this is doing absolutely nothing to improve the public's confidence in policing.

Comment

I have an an/vss-1 aimed at my door and things that restrict movement for several feet if you are trying to come into my house quickly.
          You're fucking odd enough to maybe have a 200 lb / 100 amp / 1,000,000 candlepower searchlight in your entryway. But even you should know that they have a warmup time, so it's not like you're going to just blind the first guy through the door.

You may also be like me and survive the first assault and then you will have a double dose of satisfaction by being able to look at your fallen foes while talking major shit to the next group who will be coming after you.
          But you honestly expect us to believe that you killed one, or more, police officers in your own home?
          Last edited by Strychnine; 01-03-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I forgot to add, I agree that the officer should be charged. Criminally negligent homicide or at least manslaughter.

And of course, the fucker that called in definitely needs to be in prison..

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Yeah - the dude who called should get at least life in prison.

IMHO this is still very similar to the no-knocks from a citizen/resident/victim point of view. In this case and in my opinion even if the dude at the door was raising a rifle - I'd understand. When you are 100% innocent and were doing NOTHING wrong the police have no right to call you out and give you orders. Then you're coming out thinking it's a prank or possibly wondering if they are impostors...etc

Then looking at it from the cop's point of view - it's pretty clear why they would be edgy and why someone that may appear to be aggressive would get a bullet.

I cannot really say one way or another on the cop aspect - I can't really tell shit from the short clip on the video and the little audio available.

What I do wonder about though is how dispatch could not tell the address. My ASSUMPTION is that he called from a cell phone and not a POTS line - which leaves room from a grey area for the address. In the past these sort of things happened (i.e. a criminal hiding out in at address A - calls 911, reports siting and gun fire at address B to take some of the heat off of address A - dispatch though quickly determined calling address and stopped the ruse), but cell phones were not a factor.

The only thing that seems 110% clear is that the 911 caller is without a doubt responsible for that death or murder. That situation should never of happened in the first place and the punishment needs to be severe on the caller at least for making that happen.
              How does this part have any bearing on what happened here? Do the cops know before they arrive on a call that the suspect is innocent or guilty?

I'm not arguing for either side, just pointing out that innocence or guilt plays no part in what happened here. The police were under the impression that a kidnapping/hostage situation had occurred. I don't think their job description includes determining guilt or innocence before arriving on scene.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                How does this part have any bearing on what happened here? Do the cops know before they arrive on a call that the suspect is innocent or guilty?

I'm not arguing for either side, just pointing out that innocence or guilt plays no part in what happened here. The police were under the impression that a kidnapping/hostage situation had occurred. I don't think their job description includes determining guilt or innocence before arriving on scene.
                Their job description doesn't include determining guilt or innocence, at all. That's what the court system is for. Their job is to ticket/arrest suspected criminals and usher them to jail/court, where they either plead guilty/not guilty or are found guilty/not guilty in a court of law. Too many cops are playing judge, jury, and executioner, and that shit has to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  You are bat-shit crazy, but I'll be damned if it isn't entertaining.
                  Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  But you honestly expect us to believe that you killed one, or more, police officers in your own home?
                  I think there was a disclaimer made after the fact with:
                  Edit: All of this shit talking aside....
                  Probably went on one of those pathological liar-like rants, realized what was happening, took medication and tried to make things right.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post

Probably went on one of those pathological liar-like rants, realized what was happening, took medication and tried to make things right.

Missed that. I'd retract it, but now I want to get one of those lights for some pig hunting

EDIT: Hogs... boar... feral pig. Not to be confused with the subject at hand.

Comment

Missed that. I'd retract it, but now I want to get one of those lights for some pig hunting

Nice edit.

Comment

I'm sure you were mostly kidding, but there are way better light options out there these days.

And lmao at the edit.. You really do have to specify on this board!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                          Their job description doesn't include determining guilt or innocence, at all. That's what the court system is for. Their job is to ticket/arrest suspected criminals and usher them to jail/court, where they either plead guilty/not guilty or are found guilty/not guilty in a court of law. Too many cops are playing judge, jury, and executioner, and that shit has to stop.
                          I agree completely.

I'm just pointing out in the post I quoted that a person's innocence doesn't exempt them from being approached by the police when there is a 911 call stating that heinous crimes are being committed inside the person's house.

Completely separate issue from how the police and the homeowner should behave during said encounter.

Comment

The caller at a minimum should be charged with false reporting of a crime to police, and then be wire-brushed in civil court for all of his meager possessions by the family of the victim. Of course their attorney is going to advocate first going after the deeper pockets of the municipality to line his own pockets.

Comment

You're fucking odd enough to maybe have a 200 lb / 100 amp / 1,000,000 candlepower searchlight in your entryway. But even you should know that they have a warmup time, so it's not like you're going to just blind the first guy through the door.

The pic you posted is a VSS-3 and I have a few of those also. I would not have them if I did not know how to use them. What doesn't have a warm time up is switching from IR to visible light once the light has already been on.

I said that I would make it through the first batch through my door no matter who they are, not that I have done so already. I may even make it through the 2nd batch if they try the same type of entry.
                              Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post

My dad and many of my friends are LEO. I do not wish them ill but will fight to my last breath if someone fucks with me without just cause and will never tolerate an armed invader into my home. If LE wants to arrest me at my home they can be civil about it and I will gladly comply with a lawful order. If they want to kick in my door without warning they along with myself will die.
                                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                                X