Ford getting ready to tell dealers to get ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
    I would assume if it’s a subscription or flash of the computer it would be easy for people down the road to hack and get all the options they want. People easily gain access to ECUs and reprogram/reflash vehicles all of the time.
    OEM are growing increasingly hostile towards ECU hacking/modding and so far, are doin a pretty decent job(GM/Ford are two off the top of my head) via encryption.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      OEM are growing increasingly hostile towards ECU hacking/modding and so far, are doin a pretty decent job(GM/Ford are two off the top of my head) via encryption.
      I thought it was easily done, it just now leaves a footprint unlike before. And then they have evidence of that then you void warranty. But I thought even people were getting around that. Guess I haven’t been in the performance game for a bit.

Comment

I think even the dealers can't get too deep into the ECU anymore. I'm doing a Ecoboost turbo Ranger swap into an earlier Ranger and wanted the dealer to remove the anti-theft off of the ECU and to put the VIN number for the receiver truck into the ECU and I was told that as of about 2 years ago they didn't have the ability to do that anymore.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
          I think even the dealers can't get too deep into the ECU anymore. I'm doing a Ecoboost turbo Ranger swap into an earlier Ranger and wanted the dealer to remove the anti-theft off of the ECU and to put the VIN number for the receiver truck into the ECU and I was told that as of about 2 years ago they didn't have the ability to do that anymore.
          Yeah, it's ridiculous what they can no longer do. Use to be able to get them to re-program for different sized tires, not anymore. They can't do it.

Comment

That sucks I know on Mopar automobiles they have Alfa OBD and you are able to program a lot with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              You say that, but you'd be surprised how fast they put out stuff for diesels to have a bunch of parts fall off. Chevy was really hard for awhile a few years ago, now a walk in the park.

Same with heavy machinery. If I keep my current 299 cat, it'll be missing some parts.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                Did anyone here have a hacked DirecTV box? I remember one night when they sent out a kill code that bricked every single hacked box. It would be funny if they manage to do that with cars that have the software hacked.
                It will likely never happen though, just like with cell phones. Even if nobody is paying the bill you can make outgoing calls to emergency services. That justifies keeping a cell phone around and plugged in somewhere even if you don't like em and don't pay for cell service.

If they try, it'll play out like this: Someone died because the scumbag corporation didn't get the extortion money they so desperately wanted. Karen's kid bit the dust cause she couldn't take it to the hospital, or insert scenario here where being able to drive would've saved lives. A firestorm ensues. Hundreds of millions in losses, maybe billions. Ok new rule! The car has to always be driveable. But we can shut off your heated seats.
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Pretty soon they'll have subscription only options like just about everything now.

"Oh, you want the Tech package? That includes a $75 a months subscription fee to ensure you always have the most up to date software and the best apps!"
                  GM is looking heavy into this. They want to own the asset.

Comment

If I'm understanding the article correctly, I think this is a bad idea for consumers. During the process of buying my Tesla Model 3, the one thing I could not do was negotiate the price like I do with a typical dealership. It's the only way to get them to "turn" on each other if they want to make a sale.

With the Tesla, I had no choice but to pay the sales price. Only other option was to not place the order. If Ford, and others, follow suit, this is what you'll be left with if you want a new vehicle.

I also think a lot of this is driven by this sissy, man-bun wearing new age of folks. They're so afraid of negotiating and dealing with people. They'd rather pay the "no-haggle" Carvana price than spend an afternoon negotiating with a sales rep. I even tried coaching my daughter and SNL with negotiating at a dealership and they folded on their first visit. It's like these people can't even shake someone's hand without lathering up in hand sanitizer.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      If I'm understanding the article correctly, I think this is a bad idea for consumers. During the process of buying my Tesla Model 3, the one thing I could not do was negotiate the price like I do with a typical dealership. It's the only way to get them to "turn" on each other if they want to make a sale.

With the Tesla, I had no choice but to pay the sales price. Only other option was to not place the order. If Ford, and others, follow suit, this is what you'll be left with if you want a new vehicle.

I also think a lot of this is driven by this sissy, man-bun wearing new age of folks. They're so afraid of negotiating and dealing with people. They'd rather pay the "no-haggle" Carvana price than spend an afternoon negotiating with a sales rep. I even tried coaching my daughter and SNL with negotiating at a dealership and they folded on their first visit. It's like these people can't even shake someone's hand without lathering up in hand sanitizer.
                      I'm a car junkie with a very high income and a high level of that is disposable income; because of what I highlighted in your post I buy guns for fun instead of new cars. I would rather eat maggots from roadkill then sit down with some asshole who thinks he's doing something if he twists an extra couple of hundred dollars out of me. If I can't walk in and buy something in 10 minutes then I'm not going to buy it.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

You sound old as fuck. Every generation thinks the following generation is a bunch of pussies because they don't put up with the same time wasting bullshit.

Maybe people value their Saturday off more than spending it with some cock sucker at a dealership trying to save a few bucks.

Anything you *think* you're saving by negotiating at a dealer was marked up above what the sales price should have been anyways.

Comment

Let me say something that illustrates how much hatred I have for car dealerships. Out of all my trucks the oldest piece of shit that I own is a 2003 Dakota and that's the one I drive to work everyday. It's not like I haven't tried to buy some Tacomas but I've been to four different dealerships in the Metroplex and I've been trying to buy the trucks that I want since last October. Every single dealer lies to me when I call and ask if they have a particular truck and then when I show up to buy that truck they don't have it and then they try to get me to buy whatever they have on the lot. I tell them I'm not interested and tell them that I'm there to buy five new trucks and I would like to order them the way I want them. Not a single Toyota dealership has been willing to do that. Driving worn out trucks with half a million miles on them got so bad I told my guys to go buy whatever truck they wanted and I would pay $500 per month cash on the side towards their payments if they used it as their work truck.

A lot of my relatives are Ford employees or Ford retirees so I get Fords through the A plan or Z plan; I do not remember which. When I get on Ford's website and try to spec out an F-150 that I like that is a two-door base model with rubber floor mats the sticker on them is over $44,000 and I'm simply not going to pay that for what I consider to be a rolling tool box that is a dramatically lower quality than the Toyotas that I really want.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            You sound old as fuck. Every generation thinks the following generation is a bunch of pussies because they don't put up with the same time wasting bullshit.

Maybe people value their Saturday off more than spending it with some cock sucker at a dealership trying to save a few bucks.

Anything you *think* you're saving by negotiating at a dealer was marked up above what the sales price should have been anyways.
                            Exactly! All the more reason to negotiate. Because I know they marked it up to account for people that might negotiate. By your logic, you're ok with paying an already inflated price? It's not like we're talking a few hundred bucks...this could potentially save thousands depending on your negotiation tactics.

And yeah, it does suck spending a couple of weeks shopping and negotiating with different dealers, haggling, dangling carrots, etc, but why would anyone just willingly leave money on the table? I will pick as much meat off that bone as I can.

Like my daughter and SNL...they thought their purchase was a fair deal and I'm like FAIR?!?! Do you think that salesman went home and thought he gave a buyer a fair deal? No. He went home with a fat commission. I'm sure the salesman was a nice guy but I'm not trying to put food on his table. I'm by no means a dfwstangs baller so maybe that's the difference between you and me.
                            Last edited by GeorgeG.; 08-10-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Going to a stealership sucks, its a gigantic waste of time. I used to like going in and playing the game and knowing what they actually paid for the car and getting as close to that as possible.
                              As I got older and my time became more valuable and indispensable, ain't nobody got time for that shit! In and around circa 1998 I was friends with a GM of Bankston Ford (Autonation now) and got the entire scoop on how to buy a new car from a stealership, of course always around the end of the month and if you can wait the end of the year when by now the new model years are pouring in and they have to liquidate the previous year model.
                              I have scored most all of my new cars in this way and have always gotten a great deal.
                              I've been buying new since 1994, the last several years I hardly even go in the stealership, until it's time to buy, I know what I want and research it before hand, I don't need to test drive, you should know what your buying and the Dallas Auto show or SFoT have their respective new car shows and you can get size, creature comforts, colors and options without too much annoyance by greedy ass salesman...
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Exactly! All the more reason to negotiate. Because I know they marked it up to account for people that might negotiate. By your logic, you're ok with paying an already inflated price? It's not like we're talking a few hundred bucks...this could potentially save thousands depending on your negotiation tactics.

And yeah, it does suck spending a couple of weeks shopping and negotiating with different dealers, haggling, dangling carrots, etc, but why would anyone just willingly leave money on the table? I will pick as much meat off that bone as I can.

Like my daughter and SNL...they thought their purchase was a fair deal and I'm like FAIR?!?! Do you think that salesman went home and thought he gave a buyer a fair deal? No. He went home with a fat commission. I'm sure the salesman was a nice guy but I'm not trying to put food on his table. I'm by no means a dfwstangs baller so maybe that's the difference between you and me.
                                If they cut out the middle man and charge the same flat rate to everyone, what's the issue?

My "logic" and point is you aren't saving shit if you still make the deal with a sales guy. You just didn't pay as much as they were trying to rip off someone else for.

He's still making money and putting food on his table.

Comment

Working...
                                X