No announcement yet.

What I have been working on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, since she is not running anyways and I am not anticipating driving her before October this year, if I am lucky, we have a few new plans and upgrades.

Upgrade one is to replace stock cluster with one from Florida5.0 and all new Autometer Phantom II gauges. You may have seen my gauge thread. I decided to go with the Oil Temp Gauge and after some digging and playing on the net, I found this guys site. http://xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html He found a way to run multiple sending units into one gauge. This will let me put a sender pre/post oil cooler and anywhere else I want to monitor a fluid (trans, rear, fuel). The car will never get driven hard enough to burn up fluids in the trans or rear but it would be neat to know the temps with the turn of a rotary dial. That and I have always been curious about fuel temps.

Upgrade two coincides with one, redo the dash harness, and at the same time delete out the CCRM and underhood fuse box. Lots of work there, but I finding it soothing. Fuel pump is getting an Aeromotive Billet Electric Fuel Pump Controller and all new heavier wire to feed the pump with.

Gonna use these to house relays to get around using the factory underhood fuse box.

Oil system is getting a make over. New Earls Oil Thermostat going in and the Derale -8an cooler is getting swapped for a Derale -10an cooler with 600cfm fan mounted to it and ran by a Derale adjustable temp fan controller. This is gonna require a change from -8an to -10 from oil filter adapter to thermostat to oil filter mount and to cooler. Time to pony up for them -10an ends but hopefully I have several left over from the original plumbing of the car.

If the dude from Corral would ever respond with my shipping number, I will be replacing the factory fan with a Mark VII that pushes close to 4,700cfm on high. Since I am ditching the CCRM, I need a fan relay.

Gonna have to make a new shroud to completely cover the radiator instead of the plastic factory shroud which leaves much to be desired. At the same time I am gonna box in the radiator to the bumper.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• DAMN!!
      You planning to go AWOL? Lots of man-hours there.

David

Comment

• If Keith would have left his $B Cobra in driving condition, David and I would have done him a solid and driven the wheels off of it while he was gone. Hell, we'd probably chip in for new rear tires, and give him credit for the "kills"...
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
          DAMN!!
          You planning to go AWOL? Lots of man-hours there.

David
          I am not dilusional. I doubt I will get much done. Organized would be more like it.

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
          If Keith would have left his $B Cobra in driving condition, David and I would have done him a solid and driven the wheels off of it while he was gone. Hell, we'd probably chip in for new rear tires, and give him credit for the "kills"...
          I think when the car sat after shutting it down last June after the power tour, one or more of my pass plug wires got toasted due to the DP heat. Won't know 100% until i pull it apart. Meanwhile I am going to fix and improve somethings while I am down anyways.

Comment

• Unpacked mound of parts. Sad thing this is minus a few big boxes by the door still.

Florida5.0 came through with a bada$$ gauge panel. I am loving this thing already.

Mocked up the Autometer Phantom II gauges. The two empty cavities on the top will be my AEM Digital Oil PSI and H2O Temp.

I was surprised at how similar the in dash Speedo and the dash mount tach are. The faces are identical.

Only the rears are different and the hole in the dash panel only lacks a little massaging to slip the tach in. Holding it in is gonna take a little engineering. Speedo on the right, Tach on the left.

Electronics, electronics, electronics. Time to rewire the dash and factory fuse boxes to eliminate some unneeded stuff and ditch the CCRM. The blue safety switch is to manually turn the high side of the fan on with.

Aermotive fuel speed controller

Leash Electronics 4 relay potted boxes. Very nice and solid. Even have weight to them for their size. [Russian]heavy means quality[/Russian]

Here is the new fan relays, BOTH. The dual 40amp Leash Electronics, is the Lo and Hi speed controls for the coolant fan. The other is the Derale adjustable for the new oil cooler fan.

Comment

• Aforementioned oil cooler fan. I am swapping out my -8an cooler for a slightly larger -10an with a fan mounted to it. I can not say enough about the quality of the Derale stuff.

.....and the Earls oil thermostat. Aids in engine warm up and the quicker I can get the oil to temp the minimal amount of moisture in the crankcase.

You can see the pre/post temp sending units. For the oil temp gauge that will be on a rotary switch to flip between.
              ...............made for the Autometer probes. The cavity sits right at the fittings.

Got a NEW and used Lincoln Mark VIII fan. The new one was actually cheaper than the used one. Should pull 4,800 to 5,000 cfm and once I box in the radio and intercoolers, will hopefully cool it.

The plan is to cut the shroud down the bare minimum and build an aluminum shroud to close off the radiator.

Comment

• Welcome home Keith.. Now get to work
                You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

• Keith, you are the answer to the question" what kinda person sinks that much money into a car?"

Awesome stuff, BTW.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• I fiberglassed a shroud using a cobra fan before.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                      Welcome home Keith.. Now get to work
                      Sad thing is.......I haven't touched the car. Spent 2 hours scrubbing the garage floor last night and only got half done. Swing by this week if you are off.

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      Keith, you are the answer to the question" what kinda person sinks that much money into a car?"

Awesome stuff, BTW.
                      No shit right. Trust me, I shredded every receipt as I unpacked them lol. Lots of those were Ebay wins too. Hell not even shown are the factory body, dash, main wiring harnesses I bought so I could cobble them up to do what I wanted to do. The original stuff in the car is going in a box. When it is all said and done and I am happy with it, I will ebay them all off.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        I fiberglassed a shroud using a cobra fan before.
                        I think aluminum will look right at home with the rest of the bare aluminum under the hood. Glass might be an option for the boxing of the radiator though.

Comment

• Welcome home indeed. A small brake and some aluminum could shroud the fan as well.... Just say'n.
                          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

• That oil cooler looks like it could hover!

David

Comment

• Got more work done on the cluster and getting it closer.

dual green lights on the left are for the fans (hi/lo speed) indicators.

The bus bars lined up perfect with the speedo studs. Bolted one down to the speedo then bolted the other on top.

In other news. Today I got the car (pushed) out of the garage and hosed down. Few months ago we had contractors cutting tile in the garage and coated my black car in tile dust. Not cool. Tomorrow she gets a full bath. With the car out I was able to scrub the floor and clean. Only 3 days left of this visit home and should make some real headway before I leave.

I did buy a spare dash, harness, and center console to use for trial fitting cluster and more.

More pics to follow.

Comment

• a lot of cool stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X