89 5.0 ( 306ci ) surging , dieing, backfiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 5.0 ( 306ci ) surging , dieing, backfiring

Its got a 306, B cam, Cobra upper and lower intakes, 70MM BBK Throttle Body, 24lb injectors with i believe a 73MM mass air sensor. It has stock milled heads on it. Smog pump delete.
    Car drives fine untill u let off the gas in gear and eventually sends a huge backfire out, also surging from 200-300 rpm up to 1200 or so and will even itself back out or die out on a surge, has holley adjustable reg.
    Any ideas where to start looking ... pulling plugs friday morning hoping they tell me something, no appearent vaccum leaks anywhere... appreciate the input..
    1984 Mustang GT ( T-Tops ) "Beware of the 4-eyes" Sold - 2011
    www.angelfire.com/tx5/bombsquadracing
    1989 Gt Vert ( 306 )

What have you recently changed?
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Nothing , starting to think blown gasket, possibly intake.
      1989 Gt Vert ( 306 )

Comment

You said 73mm.. Is that a piece of shit C&L MAF? With the calibration tubes? If that is a C&L maf that's definitely your problem, they never work right. Does it run perfectly fine at WOT?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Its just the C&L housing , stock sensor, and ya runs fine at least half throttle havent gone wide open because of how its been running
          1989 Gt Vert ( 306 )

Comment

You try pissing on it?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
            Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by RedNBlack84Hatch View Post
              Its just the C&L housing , stock sensor, and ya runs fine at least half throttle havent gone wide open because of how its been running
              Those arent that awesome, takes a lot if work to get them right. If you have stock injectors throw a stock maf housing on it and see if it runs better. From there get a pro m, unless you want a tune. If you want a tune then use the lightning maf. Or you can unplug the maf and see if the idle clears up.

But, a maf shouldn't cause a surging idle, that's more of a TPS, IACV or vacuum leak.

What's your fuel pressure set too?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I have two c&l mass air meters 73mm and 76mm both have been great meters.
                2001 Ford Lightning Silver
                1993 Mustang GT Silver Frost Titanium
                1984 Bronco II 4X4 Silver & Red

Comment

Forgot to mention when the car started surging for the first time, it would clear itselfs out and idle normal now as soon as I engaged the clutch starts to surge and will die out , possibilty of the idle controller being bad then? Car is on 24#ers not stock injectors as well
                  Edit - not sure on the fuel pressure
                  1989 Gt Vert ( 306 )

Comment

Originally posted by Spector93 View Post
                    I have two c&l mass air meters 73mm and 76mm both have been great meters.
                    I've had two of them and they gave me similar problems to what he is describing, neither of them worked. I had someone call me with a similar problem a few months ago, told them to change out that C&L and it solved his problem also.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If you weren't so far away, I would let you try my good 76mm maf. Im putting my money on a bad maf.
                      2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                      2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                      2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Originally posted by sspstang View Post
                        If you weren't so far away, I would let you try my good 76mm maf. Im putting my money on a bad maf.
                        x2, it's that C&L. And for the OP's reference all C&L's used the stock sensor, that's half the reason they never work right.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          x2, it's that C&L. And for the OP's reference all C&L's used the stock sensor, that's half the reason they never work right.
                          Exactly, my thoughts. I have a old Pro M on my car, and that is pretty much, all I have ever ran. They have never given me any issues.
                          2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Originally posted by sspstang View Post
                            Exactly, my thoughts. I have a old Pro M on my car, and that is pretty much, all I have ever ran. They have never given me any issues.
                            I also switched both of my cars out to ProM meters and never had another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              I also switched both of my cars out to ProM meters and never had another issue.
                              Isn't it amazing how that works. C&L was always more expensive too.
                              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Working...
                              X