• Show
Clear All

Will a cutoff wheel be sufficient to cut the bracket

Comment

2 yards down, no foxes

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
        Will a cutoff wheel be sufficient to cut the bracket
        Yes, I just did this 2 days ago. Used a dremel on one, and a pneumatic cut off wheel on the other.

Comment

2 yards down, no foxes
          I havent seen a foxbody in a junkyard in a long time.
          .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
            Yes, I just did this 2 days ago. Used a dremel on one, and a pneumatic cut off wheel on the other.
            Well I only have a cut off so hopefully I can get it to work. Scored a motorcraft 3g alternator off a 98 Taurus that looks like it was slapped not long before the car got wrecked. $30 bucks with a warranty

Comment

Best place to buy 4g wire?

Comment

Best place to buy 4g wire?
                Car audio places. Or auto parts stores. They have several premade battery cables . Usually the negative cables are longer. You couls cut off the battery terminal and crimp on a new copper terminal lug. They have those too.
                Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Do you need a fuse or fusable link between the alternator and starter solenoid on the 4g wire?

Comment

Do you need a fuse or fusable link between the alternator and starter solenoid on the 4g wire?
                    The right answer is....Yes. I don't. It would have to be large , like 100 to 150 amps.
                    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

ok, so putting your starter solenoid in the fender kinda sucks when you need to access it lol. i have 2 issues remaining but i had to put the car back together so i could drive it to work tomorrow morning. one is i have a lot of things hooked up to the positive source of the starter solenoid. so many that i had to leave off something to get the alternator to fit. i chose to leave off the power cable to my amp so it is just tucked under the fender loose. i believe this to be the only source of power for the amp, so with it just hanging in there, it should be 100 percent dead.(i think....)
                      the second issue is i did not have an inline fuse or a fusible link to run on the 4g wire running from the alternator to the starter solenoid so it is just ran straight with no fuse. my intentions are to drive to work and drive home from work and pull it apart to put one on tomorrow. Is the fuse absolutely necessary? is it dumb thait i ran it straight with no fuse for one day to get to and from work? hopefully someone will see this and answer before i work tomorrow. thanks

Comment

Like I said, I don't use a fuse. Mine have been like that for years now. If its well protected from any chance of chaffing or getting pinched, you're fine.
                        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

You should be good to drive it for a day without a fuse. Your amp power wire (the positive + on the amp) should only have one, but you will have a remote power wire hooked up as well. Don't confuse them, they are not the same. The Remote power on is what keeps your amp from being on when the car isn't running... that is it.
                          Originally posted by stevo
                          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I finally got the pic of my wiring uploaded to my POS Photobucket, here is my wiring at the alt.
                            '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
                            '13 Dodge Cummins
                            '14 Rubicon X

Comment

What is the down side to running it to the starter instead? The wire would be a hello of a lot shorter that way.

Comment

What is the down side to running it to the starter instead? The wire would be a hello of a lot shorter that way.
                                It won't charge the battery.. starter only see's the battery when you are starting the car.
                                You could if you had a 2 wire starter. Then the battery would be hot to the starter all the time.
                                Last edited by BlueCoupeRedVert; 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM.
                                Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                                90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Working...
                                X