a tad bit confused, what to do....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a tad bit confused, what to do....??

ok, so today i decided to get under tthe hood and take a longer than normal look at how things are setup since all the work was done BEFORE i got the car, here is one big thing i am confused on, i have my own idea for a solution, but i want some input from you guys.
    boost guage is obviously not hooked up to anything that would give my guage a "proper" reading, it seems to be hooked up to where it only reads vacuum, but no boost at WOT.... havent chased down the vac line for it, or even found the solenoid. honestly, couldnt tell ya if its mechanical or not cuz there is lines going everywhere to and from. now, what i DO know is to get a proper reading for boost pressure, it is BEST to tap into the intake pipe a few inches away from the throttle body, but as you will see in the pictures, there is nothing....

i understand that this may be a bit retarded on my part, but ok,, without a bypass system or "blowoff" of some sort, what happens to the excess pressure being blown through the piping if the throttle plate is damn near it closed during shifting, revving, whatever.... ??? is that something that whoever had the car before me fucked up on too??? i would think that would run a serious risk of fucking something up, all that pressure built up in the piping and nowhere to go.... but since the MAF sensor is on the air intake, i can almost see why this whole thing would be idk, capable of going both ways, im just so damn confused. shit like this was easy on my cobalt, but thats because I am the one that did everything to it so its easier to figure out issues... but this,, wow.
    sigpic 92 GT, 5 Lugged, 306, Vortech V1 S Trim, 42# injectors, Aeromotive Boost Reference Fuel Pressure Regulator, MSD Boost Timing Master, TKO 600, Moser 31 Spline Axles, 3.73's.

if someone could help me figure this out, maybe give me a down low on what ya see in the pics, that would be highly appreciated. there's just so many things rat fucked on it right now from the previous owner, its got me puzzled. shit unplugged everywhere, vac lines and braided lines goin to dead ends, its pissin me off lol.
    sigpic 92 GT, 5 Lugged, 306, Vortech V1 S Trim, 42# injectors, Aeromotive Boost Reference Fuel Pressure Regulator, MSD Boost Timing Master, TKO 600, Moser 31 Spline Axles, 3.73's.

Comment

forgot to add this, my oil pressure guage reads 25-30 while idling and cruising, and fuel pressure stays around 45-50 idling and cruising.

Comment

boost gauge shows manifold pressure (above atmospheric pressure), it should be read from the manifold, not from the intake tube before the throttle body.

w/out a bypass valve the pressure is built up in the intake tube and puts pressure on the impeller itself. they are not always necessary and not all supercharger kits came with bypass valves.

if you are reading vacuum and some boost then my bet is that the gauge is hooked up correctly and you either have a vacuum/boost leak or that blower just doesn't make shit for boost with that pulley on your motor.

Comment

not to sound stupid, but is it normal to have tie straps holding down that fuel control unit?

Comment

Regulator looks correct. It looks like it has an FMU on it on the firewall? Not sure how he's got that hooked up. My boost gauge is in about the same spot as the vac line feeding your regulator but on the other side of the upper intake (the front side). I think on those superchargers they usually have a recirc valve that dumps pressurized air back into the inlet to the supercharger but after the MAF. This air has already been metered, so you don't want to dump it to atmosphere. This valve would normally be located just before the elbow going into the throttlebody and would be connected to the elbow on the inlet side of the supercharger.

Comment

shitty install? YES. Keep it from working properly? NO.

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              not to sound stupid, but is it normal to have tie straps holding down that fuel control unit?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                boost gauge shows manifold pressure (above atmospheric pressure), it should be read from the manifold, not from the intake tube before the throttle body.

w/out a bypass valve the pressure is built up in the intake tube and puts pressure on the impeller itself. they are not always necessary and not all supercharger kits came with bypass valves.

if you are reading vacuum and some boost then my bet is that the gauge is hooked up correctly and you either have a vacuum/boost leak or that blower just doesn't make shit for boost with that pulley on your motor.
                right, i was just thinking about how on my cobalt, i had my EBC hooked up to the cold side pipe right before the throttle body... from what i always thought, you would get a more accurate reading DIRECTLY from the pipe, BEFORE it got to the throttle body.... and ok, so putting a bypass valve from the HOT pipe, going back TO the intake pipe ( meaning the one with the air filter) so it can then be re-circulated,,, correct? or just run it strictly atmospheric discharge..???

Comment

uhm hmm well i do recall saying that im not the one that did any of this shitty work to the car... so yea, thanks i already noticed that a few months ago

Comment

and also, there is ZERO vacuum leak. thats already been tested out.

Comment

Originally posted by fbodyjohnny View Post
                      uhm hmm well i do recall saying that im not the one that did any of this shitty work to the car... so yea, thanks i already noticed that a few months ago
                      ha i know, I was not doggin you, I know you didn't install it. Just caught my eye from the get go for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                        Regulator looks correct. It looks like it has an FMU on it on the firewall? Not sure how he's got that hooked up. My boost gauge is in about the same spot as the vac line feeding your regulator but on the other side of the upper intake (the front side). I think on those superchargers they usually have a recirc valve that dumps pressurized air back into the inlet to the supercharger but after the MAF. This air has already been metered, so you don't want to dump it to atmosphere. This valve would normally be located just before the elbow going into the throttlebody and would be connected to the elbow on the inlet side of the supercharger.
                        right, see thats what i have been thinking all along, the air has been metered, so therefor like you said, i should fab something to run it right back down to the OTHER pipe, after the sensor.

Comment

You can t into the small vac line that is connected to your fmu for your boost signal . You also need a bypass to vent pressure . You have another vac port on the opposite side of the intake from where the fuel regulator is connected if you want another port .
                          Big Rooster Racing

Comment

I'm not sure where you are but if you want to checkout my setup you are welcome to .
                            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

ha i know, I was not doggin you, I know you didn't install it. Just caught my eye from the get go for some reason.
                              lol yea. it will take me quite some time to get this fucker figured out. i can post pictures all day long about this and that but i aint shittin ya, there is just shit going EVERYWHERE under there. and its all because of the damn guages and the supercharger. god i cant wait to have a completely new setup built for it. planning on a 331 now with a new"ER" supercharger setup along with everything else just to clean it up and give it more balls than what i really need

Comment

Working...
                              X