No announcement yet.

Car won't start... lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you used a test light to verify it is getting spark out of the coil? What about out of the distributor?
    Scott Ganow
    Lone Star Performance
    16300 Midway Rd
    Addison, TX 75001
    214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by thkov View Post
      Didn't check for spark yet JC316. If I understand, I can pull a plug with the wire still attached, put the KOEO, hold the threads of the plug against a ground say the head bolt, and jump the starter hootie with a screwdriver, right? That will cause the engine to bump and throw a spark, right?

Also, I have an A9P computer in there. Only other I have is the factory original which oddly is a C3W with another stick on the hole where my SCT 4bank would plug in labeled A9L. Will my chip plug right into the C3W and work as with the A9P? I am soooooo lost, it has been waaaaaaay too long since I jacked with this stuff.

Sorry to be so vague, I am working on this myself and it is very hot outside.

Thanks for all the insight and help!

You can use the screw driver across the solenoid or hook up a bump switch. Shouldn't take too long if you have the stuff lying around.

Comment

How about you verify fp first with a simple gauge at the fuel rail? A lot easier than chasing spark and could just as easily be the culprit.

Just because there is fuel in the rail does not mean adequate pressure to start.

Comment

Hello all... I have not had a chance to work on this anymore since yesterday morning and will probably have to wait until this weekend. I did pick up a new TFI module just in case, and I can't get to my fuel rails without taking off the upper. (Diabolic) I will probably have to do this, since the gauge in the car isn't registering. A helper mentioned when I crank the car, the idiot/mechanical pressure gauge on my under hood Magnafuel regulator is showing the 38-40 it should be which was set there over two years ago. That good or not? Just nothing in the car. The in car gauge is hooked to the driver's side rear rail area behind and underneath the upper - suckin'.

Anyway, I truly appreciate everyone's input, and please keep the comments and ideas coming. As Saturday approaches, I'll be going down the list.

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry Diabolic, should've mentioned these are "Behind Bars Racing" rails with the funny angles so the rails don't interfere with the stock distributor cap. I have the adapter at the driver's rear for the Autometer electronic relay gauge on the A-pillar.

Not the stock rail that would be easy to mount another mechanical gauge of which I still have the adapter from an older setup. Any other ideas? I'm on the short timers schedule transferring from Nevada back to Fort Worth TX in two weeks. Thanks again!

Comment

not starting

Maybe I missed something, but did you say you were getting fire to the plugs ? You mentioned an MSD Box. Do you have an MSD coil too ? one of those drove me cracy for a year, and even had me towed TWO TIMES. I took it off and installed a Crane and the car is a totally different vehicle. Do you have an old stock coil laying around ? Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks for the info FastFox... I do have an MSD box and coil. I do have another new stock coil in the box that I can install if I do indeed have no spark at the plugs. Not going to lie, I have my own views of the MSD setup when I can't "see" or feel the performance. I can only assume this is all working even when the car was running.

More to follow this weekend when I have a chance to do more investigating.

Thanks again to everyone who has provided guidance!

Comment

MSD Coil

Mine would start and run (I thought) OK for weeks, then just die after starting and not restart. If it sat a while, it would start right up. It left me stranded once and I had it towed to a shop. We tried to start it when we unloaded it and it fired right up. Once again on a 200 mile round trip, it stopped two times on each leg of the trip. I thought it was the TFI module, and cooled the TFI with compressed air, and the car started after 30 minutes. Had it been the TFI the CO2 would have cooled it right away. After I read all the bad reviews on MSD coils, I decided to change it out. Like I said, the car is a different animal. It idles better, has sharper throttle response and better mid and top end power. I bought the Crane Blaster coil. It was a bit pricey, but if it works, I am good with the $ 70.00 price. Again, just my thoughts and experiences. As you kbnow, "If it has TITS or TIRES, it will drive you nuts". Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration FastFox. I will make some strides this weekend and hopefully get this thing started and moving so I won't have to use a come-along to get it on a trailer next week.

I've not heard of MSD issues, but I've been out of the Mustang game waaaaay to long. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X