No announcement yet.

Let's talk radical small block fords.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 408 has a RPM air gap and poly motor mounts under a 2" cowl hood. No problem getting it to fit at all. And that is a stock k member.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
      To me, the lsx and sbf have a lot in common, the only advantage I see from an lsx is the taller deck height allowing larger displacement and of course the factory parts are cheaper and on par with aftermsrket sbf ford parts.

To me, they're pretty much the same, just the ford costs twice if not triple to build to get the same results.
      other advantages include being able to fit under the stock hood and being way less expensive...
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

mehh, he's young, money is no object at this point. build you a damn mountain motor!

Comment

my old neighbor L8APEX (rip) had a badass 319ci road race fox coupe that was surely close to 500hp and spun to the moon. full suspension and ABS!

it sounds like this car is a keeper for you, at least for a while, you may as well make it nice to drive, rather than a pain in the ass to drive.

Comment

Mike. One thing you have to remember about high revving NA builds is they require a LOT of cam, spring and compression. A good 362ci ASCS motor will make around 700hp but only mid 5's on the torque, but they'll spin 85-9k all the time. With a regular rebuild schedule. RPM kills parts. If you really want to build something that revs to the moon the first thing you'll want to do is get rid of that belt drive and get a gear drive. Nothing worse than breaking a timing belt north of 7k. I run a standard double roller chain in mine as I'm not allowed to run a gear drive and they don't have any problems at 77-7900. All of my experience is with SBC, but take it from me, avoid the RPM in a car that sees ANY street duty.

Comment

Why build it when people have them on the shelf?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                Google "Joe Sherman 347". 550 hp for pump gas and there is a race gas 13.5 CR version that makes around 770 hp.
                any chance of a fuel injected variant that makes the same power
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  any chance of a fuel injected variant that makes the same power
                  I would assume so. Just have to find the right EFI set up.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                    Maybe a small cowl will have to go on if needed.
                    Get some drop motor mounts and k-member shims, and it'll fit fine under the stock hood.

I get that you want to do a "cool" build, but the high-revving small motor sounds like tossing money away to re-invent the wheel, at absolutely zero gain, other than having done it the hard way.

Comment

If I were you i would set my sights a little lower....Say a 347 with 500hp, which won't be as difficult or expensive. Put this into a light car with traction and suspension work and you will see your 9sec time slip

Comment

Comment

Mike - you can turn your 302 into a 347 or 331 with a good Girdle and get 500hp very easily. 500 will break plenty of stuff as is. Once you are bored then you can add a 200 shot and be done.

Comment

Yes the thinking of high revving and the amount of stress that will have has been a concern of mine this last few weeks, so I was thinking of a short stroke 347 to keep piston speed down, spin it to 7000 or so, make 450-500 on motor and spray 150-200 on top for fun. Itll be short change for running on the highway with the cars at Coit but it'll be fun to drive, and depending on the set up a turbo or something later on would be a nice addition. That is with a dart block of course.

For my stock block, 302 with spray and a girdle/windage tray. Not investing money in a block that will eventually trash the internals.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

An overbore/short stroke 347 (4.125" x 3.25") would be the way to go.
                              Last edited by asphaltjunkie; 01-31-2015, 01:41 AM.
                              "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                                An overbore/short stroke 347 (4.125" x 3.4") would be the way to go.
                                I feel like it would last a lot longer then your typical small bore 347.

I want something that can run high 9s on motor with a 2600lb chassis and TKO, and be strong and reliable. Effectively I want something I can count on to get mf home after a night of racing. Obviously shit can go wrong but maybe taxing the motor with high revs for a long period isn't a great idea unless I want to rebuid it every few weeks, ha.

Main goal is to run away from C7s, and modded coyote cars with a sbf.

A 408 or 434 would be nice as well, my goals would be even easier to obtain.

I had found a build of a 363 r block with yates c3s shifting at 8k through a glide ran a 9.27 at 144 n/a.

Heads flow 340 @ .600 and 380 at .800

Lots of 9sec n/a builds there
                                Last edited by 91CoupeMike; 01-31-2015, 01:32 AM.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Working...
                                X