Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the 8" wide jaws and that it opens to 7".

Here is the one I got. It was justified in my eyes. I see it as a good investment. It went up about $250 since I bought it new about 5 years ago. It only weighs about 115lbs or so

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63202-1780A-Tradesman-Vise/dp/B00004XPVJ[/ame]

Comment

I'm sure it's a difference in the quality of the forging that you're paying for.
      I've had some cheapos break under clamping force only.
      Ded

Comment

Yup. I only use the cheapos to hold parts while i weld them so they aren't under any type of load

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          What constitutes a good vice? My $60 harbor freight one has survived 2 cross country moves and many hits with sledge hammers.
          If you haven't hit it and knocked the Bondo off, you're not doing it right.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Start pressing u-joints out of a driveshaft with a cheapo vice and you will learn real quick how cheap they are. Most will strip the threads out of the head. If you want to save money, buy a wilton that is big enough for your needs, and then get an anvil to do all your hammering away on. Anvils are also nice for forming some sheet metal and straightening parts as well.

Most of the Chinese vices are pressed together using powdered metal, not flow cast with molten steel or woks! A good hit from a good hammer will send chips flying off the vice.

Comment

No 20t shop press?
              Ded

Comment

yeah, i've always used a bearing press for pressing bearings in/out of stuff. makes sense though, i'll go put some .120 wall in my vice and see how much it can take

Comment

I dont know how old our shop vice is but its a beast.

The way to get a good vice is hit up farm auctions.

Comment

Another good vise is Columbian. It is lighter and feels cheaper than the Wilton but is more expensive. However, I prefer my wilton over the columbian.

Comment

Girlfriends dad threw this bench together out of scrap for another family member. Neither set of drawers is set in place, they can go where ever the family wants them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Did I already post these? Too lazy to check. Built them over turkey day break, short one is 6' and the long one 8'.

Comment

After this, I painted it with dry erase board paint, so that I can sketch or write measurements down. Or my wife can leave me to do lists. Should have thought that one all the way through

Last edited by RevMojo; 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM. Reason: fix pic

Comment

Looks like a sturdy "slamin' bench".
                            Ded

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                              Looks like a sturdy "slamin' bench".
                              Having the Dry Erase paint on it was a stroke of genius. I remembered my dad's workbench being covered in scribbles of measurements so bad that he'd lose track of which one was the one he needed. It's also good if I'm working with someone else and they're not getting the concept, or have a better idea. We can just sketch it out.

Comment

Anyone know of a store that stocks these 2x4 basics stuff? Cabela's did not, and neither does Northern Tool.
                                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                                X