No announcement yet.

1990 Coupe - 'budget' turbo kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks, have you done a turbo kit in a s-197? I'd like to see what ideas you have/had for one.

This thread makes me want to gut my junker and go turbo. Keep the updates rolling in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
      Brooks, have you done a turbo kit in a s-197? I'd like to see what ideas you have/had for one.

This thread makes me want to gut my junker and go turbo. Keep the updates rolling in.
      No, I haven't done one yet - mainly because for cars like that, there's a number of vendors you can buy from to make 'street car' type HP. For those kinds of cars, it's not worth it for the owner to pay me to make them - not when there's 'off the shelf kits' to do that... and for what they sell them for, the tubing usually costs me more than that..

Now, that's not to say that I won't do that kind of stuff in the future. I've entertained buying a mandrel bender (@45K)... but that's still on down the road. I want to race at least a season first

Comment

• Originally posted by turbostang View Post
        No, I haven't done one yet - mainly because for cars like that, there's a number of vendors you can buy from to make 'street car' type HP. For those kinds of cars, it's not worth it for the owner to pay me to make them - not when there's 'off the shelf kits' to do that... and for what they sell them for, the tubing usually costs me more than that..

Now, that's not to say that I won't do that kind of stuff in the future. I've entertained buying a mandrel bender (@45K)... but that's still on down the road. I want to race at least a season first
        I can certainly understand that.

Just thought I would ask, I'd like to see one if you did.

Comment

• Those welds don't look very good.

Having said that I still need you to build my cold side and massage my hot side.

Comment

• Massage your hotside??

I knew you'd come around! LOL
            One day at a time.

Comment

• cage is done, sans some welding on the back bars. The back bars were 'incorrect' for my application - apparently bent for minitubs. No problem, at some point in time it will actually get minitubs. The only thing that was remotely problematic was that the bars are bent to clear the tubs - which puts them pretty far in board. There's no place to put the bottom of the drivers side since it lands out in the open part of the spare tire well. Resolution: Add a cross bar between frame rails as if it were already minitubbed. All I had to do was cut holes and a slot in the spare tire well for access.

Pics to follow.

Comment

• very nice work

Comment

• I keep forgetting to upload the pics - but...

1)I've abandoned the stock gas tank idea for a few reasons. If the car ever did a wheelie, it's likely to tear the fittings off of the sump. Also, I had a nice set of Cobalt guages in a florida 5.0 cluster - for whatever reason I thought it was calibrated for a Ford sending unit, it's not, it's universal. Now, there's no reason to keep the stock tank.. So, I cut the trunk out and will be adding square tubing/sheetmetal for the floor and fuel tank supports.

2) Lots of wiring done now. Stock harness removed completely (except the rear harness - which will get disected and trimmed of extra stuff). New harness is about 50% installed, about 80% tested. Turn signals work, start/crank works etc..

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing the pics. Try one of these, assuming you have wifi...
                    Wifi memory card
                    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I keep forgetting to upload the pics - but...

1)I've abandoned the stock gas tank idea for a few reasons. If the car ever did a wheelie, it's likely to tear the fittings off of the sump. Also, I had a nice set of Cobalt guages in a florida 5.0 cluster - for whatever reason I thought it was calibrated for a Ford sending unit, it's not, it's universal. Now, there's no reason to keep the stock tank.. So, I cut the trunk out and will be adding square tubing/sheetmetal for the floor and fuel tank supports.

2) Lots of wiring done now. Stock harness removed completely (except the rear harness - which will get disected and trimmed of extra stuff). New harness is about 50% installed, about 80% tested. Turn signals work, start/crank works etc..
                      PM sent

Comment

Lol, I've done this shit for a LONG time and fucked up a lot of shit in the process, I had to get better sooner or later thanks for the props, you're welcome to check it out when ever.
                        I only built one chassis, and sold it before I got it completed. I just never had the time after my kids were born, and seldom lived where there was enough room to work on it. I started it around 1990 and sold it about 5 years ago. It was a good learning experience on many things. It also makes it easier to determine good work vs most of what I've seen at tracks. Pm me your address, and a good time, and I'll swing by. I drive thru Saginaw twice a day, on most days.

Keep the pics coming. It's inspirational, and I need a lot of that.
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• one more minor update, but still no pics.

...more of the wiring is done now. The power windows and locks work as intended. Now, it's just a matter of integrating the rest of the wiring and not take away from the clean state it's in now.

Comment

Here's the nights work. All of the joints that were tacked are now welded - to give you an idea of what has to be done to get to the backside of some of those joints...

...gratuitous bead shot.

and last but not least, it's all done minus the back bars and torque box bars.

Note the left leg working the pedal in the first pic. That is some fun shit right there.

Comment

• Newest update:

Interior part of the chassis wiring is complete. Not a single extra wire in the interior that is not needed.. Now, it's time to wire the headlight harness and headlight ballasts.. followed by the brake/tail light harness. I did keep the stock tail section harness, but have to take it apart to remove the intertia switch wiring, fuel sender wiring and stock fuel pump wiring.

The coiled up wires on the passenger side are for the power on connection to the ECU and a couple spares. If it turns out I don't need them, i'll clip them back. The three on the outside are tach, shift light and what was supposed to be high beam indicator (HID's don't have hibeams, so I'm using it for some sort of indicator light)

Comment

• Meh.....

J/P, looks great
                                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                                X