No announcement yet.

1990 Coupe - 'budget' turbo kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been holding out for a decent update, been doing a lot of little stuff - not really worth updating on.

Now, the cage is in the 80% range and should be going back together by next weekend. I just have to decide in which order I'm going to tackle the HUGE to do list.

First things first -

The interior before the mayhem.

One of the whoopsies- It's been so long since I've installed one of these kits, I cut a little too far.

All of the hard to reach spots on the bars were painted before any assembly. Once they're in the car for good, they'll all get fully painted. The paint used is POR15, it's some seriously good shit - don't get it on you!!

Progress...

...everything that can be tacked in place up to this point. Once you get it here, break the tack welds loose on the outriggers of the TTSFC's and drop it down as low as possible. Weld the top joints complete, the lower joints where the cage rests on the outriggers (and sits up against the rocker panels).

Now, Rachel and I wrestled it back in place and it's welded in for good. I hosed the new back bar (cut too short), so I have to get another one tomorrow. No biggie. Also, note the added passenger side rocker bar - not standard in the Wolfe kit. (it's actually the kit supplied back bar that was a tiny bit too short - just cut/modified for the rocker bar)

Misc. picture of the drivers side TTSFC.

Comment

• Schweet man! Looks like its coming along nicely.

Comment

• Brooks are you going to do something with that extra petal?
        2009 Mustang GT
        1972 Country Squire

Comment

• Originally posted by slowbrick2 View Post
          Brooks are you going to do something with that extra petal?
          Yeah.. take it out!!

Comment

• You growing flowers in that thing?

Comment

• petal pedal. .. when you speak as bad as I it sounds the same
              2009 Mustang GT
              1972 Country Squire

Comment

• Brooks, I've never used a pre-bent cage, so that may be the difference, but we bent the main hoop, and then the A pillar and cross bars, and then cut holes in thew floor so that the whole thing can go down to weld it all up. One welded, raise it all back upn and slide the spreader plates under the bars, and weld them up.

That may not work with your subframes, etc, but I figured I'd throw it outh there.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  Brooks, I've never used a pre-bent cage, so that may be the difference, but we bent the main hoop, and then the A pillar and cross bars, and then cut holes in thew floor so that the whole thing can go down to weld it all up. One welded, raise it all back upn and slide the spreader plates under the bars, and weld them up.

That may not work with your subframes, etc, but I figured I'd throw it outh there.
                  I'm not really following you - but, with these SFC's and pre-bent cage, it's the only way to get to the top.

Comment

• Damn that car has really come around since the last time I was at your place. One sweet set up you have built Brooks! Post up when she is going to make her maiden voyage at the track!

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Zfan View Post
                      Damn that car has really come around since the last time I was at your place. One sweet set up you have built Brooks! Post up when she is going to make her maiden voyage at the track!

Mike
                      Thanks Mike!

I hope to make A race in late March, beginning of April.

Comment

• Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                        I'm not really following you - but, with these SFC's and pre-bent cage, it's the only way to get to the top.
                        Yeah, its not easy to descibe very well in the text. Bassically, before you put in the rocker or door bars, you start. with the main hoop, tack the A's, and then holesaw the floorboads from the under side, so that those 4 points can go through the floor, and you end up with quite a bit of space on the tops.

Or the other option is a plith, witch do a great job of spreading the load out between the floor and the rockers, and the rockers are the stronger points, so they are stronger, in theory.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Ok Brooks, is there anything you aren't good at?

This is looking good. I've got to make it out to see this thing in person.
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            Yeah, its not easy to descibe very well in the text. Bassically, before you put in the rocker or door bars, you start. with the main hoop, tack the A's, and then holesaw the floorboads from the under side, so that those 4 points can go through the floor, and you end up with quite a bit of space on the tops.

Or the other option is a plith, witch do a great job of spreading the load out between the floor and the rockers, and the rockers are the stronger points, so they are stronger, in theory.
                            That's what I did, but I don't have floor plates - i have the square tube ttsfc's. Basically I put in every bar I could to keep the cage as rigid as possible when I knocked it loose. I Welded the tops and put it back in place.

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                            Ok Brooks, is there anything you aren't good at?

This is looking good. I've got to make it out to see this thing in person.
                            Lol, I've done this shit for a LONG time and fucked up a lot of shit in the process, I had to get better sooner or later thanks for the props, you're welcome to check it out when ever.

Comment

• nice work, one day id like to be able to do this lol.

Comment

• Here's the nights work. All of the joints that were tacked are now welded - to give you an idea of what has to be done to get to the backside of some of those joints...

...gratuitous bead shot.

and last but not least, it's all done minus the back bars and torque box bars.

Comment

Working...
                                X