1990 Coupe - 'budget' turbo kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 5.0 n it View Post
    I bet without the trunk floor pan being there it made installing that sway bar a lot easier. I jus helped a buddy install a Wolfe double sway bar on my 95 that wasnt too much of a pain, but I notice where you have the tabs welded on the tubes are more at a angle than mine. What's a good amount of clearance between the sway bar arms and the floor pan?
    man, I don't know that there's a 100% right answer for that. I went back and looked at it after I put them on and questioned their position - but regardless, it will work. At the very least I can shorten the links to bring the bars away from the floor (which should be the only real problem).

Yeah, the floor bieng gone sure made it easy. I had to restrain myself from welding the top, just in case I ever wanted to take it out of the car. Welding from that easy positoin would make a VERY good weld, and a bitch to cut back out.

Comment

but I notice where you have the tabs welded on the tubes are more at a angle than mine.
      I noticed this too, mine are just slightly above pointing straight back. I am sure there is a reason for this though if Brooks did it this way (not his first rodeo).

Comment

I bet without the trunk floor pan being there it made installing that sway bar a lot easier. I jus helped a buddy install a Wolfe double sway bar on my 95 that wasnt too much of a pain, but I notice where you have the tabs welded on the tubes are more at a angle than mine. What's a good amount of clearance between the sway bar arms and the floor pan?
        man, I don't know that there's a 100% right answer for that. I went back and looked at it after I put them on and questioned their position - but regardless, it will work. At the very least I can shorten the links to bring the bars away from the floor (which should be the only real problem).

Yeah, the floor bieng gone sure made it easy. I had to restrain myself from welding the top, just in case I ever wanted to take it out of the car. Welding from that easy positoin would make a VERY good weld, and a bitch to cut back out.

Comment

• Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          I had to restrain myself from welding the top, just in case I ever wanted to take it out of the car. Welding from that easy positoin would make a VERY good weld, and a bitch to cut back out.
          brooks...tisk tisk! (although in retrospect i think "outside edges" was misunderstood, i welded just the "outside edges" that are easy to cut off) (i.e. the bottom and rear "outside edges")

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
          what's the consensus on welding the plates on all sides vs. just the outside edges so if it ever has to come out it wont be "such" a bitch

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          They're all outside edges.

If you have any idea of taking it out, It's not for you. Put it in as if it's never coming out of the car and don't look back. If for some reason it moved because of a partial welding job, you'll have fun 'making it right'.

Comment

• Yea I agree, I figured the car wouldn't compress no more than a few inches on launch so I'm hoping how we set it it should be enough clearance, if not cutting the turn buckle rods down would be an alternative. Here's a peak :-)

Comment

Yea I agree, I figured the car wouldn't compress no more than a few inches on launch so I'm hoping how we set it it should be enough clearance, if not cutting the turn buckle rods down would be an alternative. Here's a peak :-)
              damn, them coil overs look clean

Comment

• That angle of the tabs is acutally perfect.

The car is looking good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  damn, them coil overs look clean
                  Haha they look familiar huh

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Thumper View Post
                    That angle of the tabs is acutally perfect.

The car is looking good.
                    Sweet thats a relief haha. And thanks, next is the cage and other stuff, won't be too much longer till its not part of the jackstand racing crew

Comment

brooks...tisk tisk! (although in retrospect i think "outside edges" was misunderstood, i welded just the "outside edges" that are easy to cut off) (i.e. the bottom and rear "outside edges")
                      My reason for taking it back out and welding the outside edges are a bit different that what you mentioned. You alluded to possibly taking it out for poor ride quality on the street....

Mine bieng for lack of quality - I got a good deal on the UPR setup, but wasn't necessarily my first choice.

If it were a double sway bar from Wolfe, it would absolutely be welded 100%.

Comment

My reason for taking it back out and welding the outside edges are a bit different that what you mentioned. You alluded to possibly taking it out for poor ride quality on the street....

Mine bieng for lack of quality - I got a good deal on the UPR setup, but wasn't necessarily my first choice.

If it were a double sway bar from Wolfe, it would absolutely be welded 100%.
                        just giving you a hard time, hope i didn't piss you off with that one!

Comment

just giving you a hard time, hope i didn't piss you off with that one!
                          No, not at all - just stating we have a different agenda.

Comment

• Mine bieng for lack of quality - I got a good deal on the UPR setup, but wasn't necessarily my first choice.

If it were a double sway bar from Wolfe, it would absolutely be welded 100%.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I have the Wolfe setup, got a sweet ass deal on it!

Comment

No, not at all - just stating we have a different agenda.
                              i'm probably shooting myself in the foot, but my agenda was in case i broke it driving on the street

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                              i don't ever plan to take it out, you know this car is doomed to a life of drag racing, but team z says it is fine to weld just the rear edge and the bottom in case something on the bar breaks. thats the only reason i would ever remove mine is if one of the arms broke off or something. i do see what you mean about it moving, just didn't know what the norm was here.

Comment

i'm probably shooting myself in the foot, but my agenda was in case i broke it driving on the street
                                I never had any kind of problem with breakage on my old car, and never unhooked it for street driving.

If it broke the arms off, there's a lot more broken shit and those arms would be the least of your concerns.

Comment

Working...
                                X