1990 Coupe - 'budget' turbo kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
    Well, since you won't help me, stand by for MANY questions.
    'won't' is kinda harsh, dont you think?

I'll answer as I can, most of this 'theory' shown in this thread applies to just about any turbo kit. Words of wisdom to live by in fab work:

Be sure to plan ahead, measure a lot, cut once.

If you think you need 10 bends, you really need 12 - you'll screw up 2.

Spend an extra few minutes fitting your weld joints - or spend an eternity not liking the finished product.

If you have to grind it (after welding), it was never 'right'

Overbuild fuel systems by 50%, you WILL turn it up sooner or later

Practice on scrap metal before you weld your good part - even I do this almost every time.

Plan your build with expansion in your future, you'd be surpised how often I get rework type stuff because someone wants to upgrade when they could have spent a few extra bucks, or planned ahead the first time.

Wires have to be at least an inch from hot parts, and the WIRES should be wrapped.

Don't plan a build around pre-existing wires, hoses, etc. You'll create a LOT of work like that.

Build your cold side tubes with 'traps' in mind, so that you'll minimize hose failure. Don't settle for tubes that are 'close' to lining up. they should be perfect.

If you build in some mounting tabs for exhaust etc - don't drill the final mounting hole to finish size until the kit goes on the car for the last time. It won't line up if you do.

If you cut a J bend in the middle, and you try one side of it for whatever you initially cut it for, but it's off by a small amount, don't cut another - try the other half of the bend first, a lot of the time the bend is not symetrical and the other side will work.

I'll add to this later as I think of more..
    Last edited by turbostang; 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bpawl View Post

thats badass
      That part is actually fucked up from the start - if you look at the first pic where the two pieces are seperate, you'll notice an extra cut in the pic you quoted. I forgot to clock the one part that gues under the balancer.

You'll see what I mean when I finish up the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
        Well, since you won't help me, stand by for MANY questions.
        You'll start sounding like Dville_gt

Comment

Originally posted by FRANCISCO308 View Post
          You'll start sounding like Dville_gt

Comment

brooks what about that engine bay, were cleaning up the WTS now

Comment

The exposed parts, like the aprons, will get new sheetmetal put in place that is a bit more visually appealing. The bad spots will get touched up and most likely next season it will get painted nice.

I don't want to wind up like my red car did and get too many things going at one time. right now, I want it functional - and the permanent parts of the build are going to be done 100%, it's just paint and the likes that i'm holding out on for now.

Comment

Here's the progress for tonight - nothing much to report other than the downpipe is welded up complete, and painted. I'm not happy about it, but it will certainly work. Just some poor planning on my part. Long story. I made a 'low profile' oil drain adaptor to minimize the frame notching, which is always a problem when the turbo is mounted on the pinch weld like I normally do. This resolves it for the most part. If it weren't for Christmas this coming weekend, it would be running...but i'm off on Monday..but I have dyno time schedule for a customer's car.. dammit.. oh well, mid next week it will run!

Comment

How does that 90 right out of the drain work for you? I was worried about it on my car so I had to notch.
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                    How does that 90 right out of the drain work for you? I was worried about it on my car so I had to notch.
                    Never had a problem with it, and most of the kits I do are like that in some form or fashion. I think a lot of it has to do with what the hose does after that 90. If there's ANY form of flat spot or uphill, it WILL backup.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                      'won't' is kinda harsh, dont you think?

I'll answer as I can, most of this 'theory' shown in this thread applies to just about any turbo kit. Words of wisdom to live by in fab work:

Be sure to plan ahead, measure a lot, cut once.

If you think you need 10 bends, you really need 12 - you'll screw up 2.

Spend an extra few minutes fitting your weld joints - or spend an eternity not liking the finished product.

If you have to grind it (after welding), it was never 'right'

Overbuild fuel systems by 50%, you WILL turn it up sooner or later

Practice on scrap metal before you weld your good part - even I do this almost every time.

Plan your build with expansion in your future, you'd be surpised how often I get rework type stuff because someone wants to upgrade when they could have spent a few extra bucks, or planned ahead the first time.

Wires have to be at least an inch from hot parts, and the WIRES should be wrapped.

Don't plan a build around pre-existing wires, hoses, etc. You'll create a LOT of work like that.

Build your cold side tubes with 'traps' in mind, so that you'll minimize hose failure. Don't settle for tubes that are 'close' to lining up. they should be perfect.

If you build in some mounting tabs for exhaust etc - don't drill the final mounting hole to finish size until the kit goes on the car for the last time. It won't line up if you do.

If you cut a J bend in the middle, and you try one side of it for whatever you initially cut it for, but it's off by a small amount, don't cut another - try the other half of the bend first, a lot of the time the bend is not symetrical and the other side will work.

I'll add to this later as I think of more..
                      All truth. He had to fix my poop cuts when I brought him my cold side taped together.

That's one of the main reasons I don't work for myself full time - The drive to and from the shop is a deal breaker for me.

My next house will be on land, and will have a full sized 'shop' on that same land.
                      There are a few houses for sale here in Van Zandt Farms that have TWO 3 car garages. Hell there is a guy 4 houses down from me building a garage that appears to be as big as his house right next to it.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Where do you get your flange blanks from?

Comment

Never had a problem with it, and most of the kits I do are like that in some form or fashion. I think a lot of it has to do with what the hose does after that 90. If there's ANY form of flat spot or uphill, it WILL backup.
                            Yeah that shit makes a mess too.

Comment

Looks good Brooks. Maybe one day I will move over to the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshoe View Post
                                Yeah that shit makes a mess too.

Ha, NO SHIT! Oil flies a long ways!

Originally posted by 582nova View Post
                                Looks good Brooks. Maybe one day I will move over to the dark side.
                                Thanks Derek! You can just put a turbo on what you have!

Comment

Working...
                                X