480 RWHP is not all that these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
    If the ls was the best, it would hold the record. You can modify them just as easy. I never said it was stock.

Changing cams is a matter of timing and setting the chains. Hard? No. Time consuming, sure. Intake? I don't even see why that would be considered difficult. And yeah the carbon build up is a bitch, I'll give you that.

Me and shadow swapped heads on his 2v and it wasnt hard at all.
    If you ever get to swap a cam on an LS, you'll be shocked by how easy it is. Just watch a how-to on YouTube.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

The 500rwhp argument is negotiable.

Mach 1s can put down 450-500 and depending on the tune can last a while too.

The internals are junk, mainly the rods. I'm not for sure what ford was thinking, so I'll tip my hat to GM for making an engine with beefy internals.
      Okay, start negotiating. In the early part of the last decade I knew no less than 20 people making 500+ rwhp in daily driven LS1 cars.

You can swap cams in an LS1 Fbody in a couple of hours if you're fast. How long does it take to swap cams in a stock modular? Oh, it doesn't matter because you won't make any more power. LOL!

Want to know how many 500+ rwhp daily driven modular cars were running around? Until the 03-04 cars came out, maybe 1 or 2 locally.

The LS1s came with powdered metal rods. Nothing amazing about them, just strong enough to do the job. I always found it odd that ford put forged cranks in the manual tranny Mach 1 cars, but cast cranks in the autos.

Ultimately, you're a day late and a dollar short on the hay day of street racing here in Dallas. You would have seen hundreds of 300/400/500+rwhp cars racing 4 or 5 nights a week. Now it's a game played by the cubic dollars gang, and you'd better bring 700+ out to even be competitive on the street.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        Okay, start negotiating. In the early part of the last decade I knew no less than 20 people making 500+ rwhp in daily driven LS1 cars.

You can swap cams in an LS1 Fbody in a couple of hours if you're fast. How long does it take to swap cams in a stock modular? Oh, it doesn't matter because you won't make any more power. LOL!

Want to know how many 500+ rwhp daily driven modular cars were running around? Until the 03-04 cars came out, maybe 1 or 2 locally.

The LS1s came with powdered metal rods. Nothing amazing about them, just strong enough to do the job. I always found it odd that ford put forged cranks in the manual tranny Mach 1 cars, but cast cranks in the autos.

Ultimately, you're a day late and a dollar short on the hay day of street racing here in Dallas. You would have seen hundreds of 300/400/500+rwhp cars racing 4 or 5 nights a week. Now it's a game played by the cubic dollars gang, and you'd better bring 700+ out to even be competitive on the street.
        Why they did that with the autos Is beyond me, they did it with all 4v autos, even the mark 8s.

Quick question, was the one 500hp modular faster then the 20+ 500hp ls?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Why they did that with the autos Is beyond me, they did it with all 4v autos, even the mark 8s.

Not usually, but sometimes. A ton of stock coupe having fucksticks, "knew a guy with a cobra that was beating liter bikes at highway races," though. That story was always fun. There were more 351-based cars that could hang with LS1's than there were modulars that could.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Let's talk performance, not maitenace.

If it were easy, women and children would do it. Let's be men.
            Oh, and let's talk performance not "maitenace".

So you want to use the standing mile as the measure of the engine's ability? That's really a measure of aerodynamics. That car made ~1900hp, which is a lot but not unheard of. There are street cars running around locally that make 1300+.

Maybe you'd like to use something more relevant, like 1/4 mile times. Those Ford GTs that you love so much were having trouble getting into the 9s.

Less than a couple of months after the C6 Z06 came out LG motorsports was making almost 600rwhp N/A, and the cars were going 9's with the quickness... at half the price of the GT.

Comment

• I'm not here to argue who's faster, what's easier to mod or work on. I'm stating that given the displacement to power, the modular ford is the better engine.

For them to make a 4.6 have 315hp n/a and a 5.4 390+hp n/a is impressive.

Overall they're power efficient.

Comment

Oh, and let's talk performance not "maitenace".

So you want to use the standing mile as the measure of the engine's ability? That's really a measure of aerodynamics. That car made ~1900hp, which is a lot but not unheard of. There are street cars running around locally that make 1300+.

Maybe you'd like to use something more relevant, like 1/4 mile times. Those Ford GTs that you love so much were having trouble getting into the 9s.

Less than a couple of months after the C6 Z06 came out LG motorsports was making almost 600rwhp N/A, and the cars were going 9's with the quickness... at half the price of the GT.
                What holds the GT back is gearing. It may have been struggling 9s but what was the mph?

Comment

Fuck no. The torque curves on blown modulars look like ski jumps. The LS motors have nice broad power curves (Thank OHV for that). It really wasn't until you started seeing roots/turbo modulars that they started being consistently fast and not blowing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    Not usually, but sometimes. A ton of stock coupe having fucksticks, "knew a guy with a cobra that was beating liter bikes at highway races," though. That story was always fun. There were more 351-based cars that could hang with LS1's than there were modulars that could.
                    I see what you did there lol.

Yeah 351 gets nasty, especially in a light coupe.

Comment

What holds the GT back is gearing. It may have been struggling 9s but what was the mph?
                      No. What was holding the car back is that they were $150,000, no room for a roll bar, and hard to drive. You do understand that a mid engine/rwd car isn't exactly a cake walk to drag race.

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                      I'm not here to argue who's faster, what's easier to mod or work on. I'm stating that given the displacement to power, the modular ford is the better engine.

For them to make a 4.6 have 315hp n/a and a 5.4 390+hp n/a is impressive.

Overall they're power efficient.
                      Nobody said that they weren't efficient, but I can show you a 1200Hp ecotec, or a 1000hp rotary. Are those the best engines ever by your standard?

Comment

Fuck no. The torque curves on blown modulars look like ski jumps. The LS motors have nice broad power curves (Thank OHV for that). It really wasn't until you started seeing roots/turbo modulars that they started being consistently fast and not blowing up.
                        Ski Jump comes from any centri charged car.

N/a mod torque curves are flat from what I've seen.

Comment

Ski Jump comes from any centri charged car.

N/a mod torque curves are flat from what I've seen.
                          Ski jump comes from peaky overhead cam motors with centrifugal blowers..
                          Ls1

First one I could find.

Notice how the horsepower curves are straight lines? That means there is no area under the curve.
                          Last edited by ThreeFingerPete; 09-22-2011, 03:32 AM.

Comment

No. What was holding the car back is that they were $150,000, no room for a roll bar, and hard to drive. You do understand that a mid engine/rwd car isn't exactly a cake walk to drag race.

Nobody said that they weren't efficient, but I can show you a 1200Hp ecotec, or a 1000hp rotary. Are those the best engines ever by your standard?
                            No, I'm talking factory.

If you're referring to 787b engines. Those were so great lemans banned them. Not 1000hp tho..

Comment

• It's 4:18 I'm tired.

Nice discussion.

I learned a thing or two.

Comment

are you fucking kidding me?

it has a broad torque curve because it has an OHV?!?!?! LOL

You are dumber than a sack of rocks. It has a broad torque curve because its moderate cam.

A stock mod has just as flat a torque curve. But at 100 less ft-lbs
                                Last edited by majorownage; 09-22-2011, 03:33 AM.
                                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...
                                X