No announcement yet.

480 RWHP is not all that these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swear to god, you Pilot Point kids are like cats with a laser pointer. "ZOMG!!!!! Hyperbole fail?!? Must change subject!!!"
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by majorownage View Post
      are you fucking kidding me?

it has a broad torque curve because it has an OHV?!?!?! LOL

You are dumber than a sack of rocks. It has a broad torque curve because its moderate cam.

A stock mod has just as flat a torque curve. But at 100 less ft-lbs
      So you don't think that an OHV engine will have a broader power curve than an OHC engine, with all else being equal?

Comment

• Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
        No, I'm talking factory.

If you're referring to 787b engines. Those were so great lemans banned them. Not 1000hp tho..
        Oh, the world's fastest mile car is a factory stock GT? That's impressive. You're a fucking moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
          So you don't think that an OHV engine will have a broader power curve than an OHC engine, with all else being equal?
          depends

they both need different lobes, centerlines and lifts for maximizing/flattening the torque curve
          Full time ninja editor.

Comment

depends

they both need different lobes, centerlines and lifts for maximizing/flattening the torque curve
            I guess valve area vs. intake runner length has nothing to do with the situation...

Comment

depends

That's why for the sake of discussion, we say "All things being equal".

Want some evidence? Let me google it, since apparently you girls in Pilot Point can't afford Google.

Spurred on by Joel's post on pushrod engines and some of the comments that it generated, I think it's time to take a closer look at the differences betw

"All of the above points to an obvious airflow advantage for four-valve heads, given a fixed cylinder bore size. But there's yet another advantage, this one related to the curtain area. Since multiple valves necessarily result in smaller valve diameters, this means that less valve lift is required to maximize flow. Less lift and smaller (read: lighter) valves makes the job of the valve springs much easier. Indeed the difficulty of closing the valves is often a limiting factor to how high an engine can safely rev, and it's an extremely difficult problem to work around in a production engine where a valve spring life of a few thousand miles just isn't acceptable.

This clearly points towards a multi-valve design - and almost by default, overhead cams** - as being superior for peak power. No big surprise, eh? But peak power is rarely what we're after in a production engine.

More important is maintaining a healthy amount of torque over the usable rev range. No, this isn't some sort of claim that Torque Is King, since proponents in that camp are usually interested only in peak numbers, and preferably at a low RPM. To obtain this, we need to fill the cylinder as much as possible across the rev range. Simply maximizing the valve area is not the way to accomplish this task, and choking down the intake tract to maintain velocity at low revs isn't the way to go, either."

Comment

• shadow will post his dyno #s

there is a reason why dohc engines were BANNED from the engine masters challenge.

And this isn't about peakhp, this is area under the curve, with a rev limit. Not to mention Kaase has won the most out of anybody, mostly with ford-based engines
                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

shadow will post his dyno #s

there is a reason why dohc engines were BANNED from the engine masters challenge.

And this isn't about peakhp, this is area under the curve, with a rev limit. Not to mention Kaase has won the most out of anybody, mostly with ford-based engines
                  It must not be because they wanted to keep the playing field level or anything. Riddle me this, geniusitis, how is a naturally aspirated DOHC 4.6L Cobra engine going to beat a 400ci engine with canted valve heads? It's not going to, that's how. Also, way to be a magazine mechanic, just like you are when you post as Mike, or 03shadow2v, whichever it is.

Comment

shadow will post his dyno #s

Oh, please tell me what "this" is about. It has drifted from super cars, to efficiency to standing miles, trailing off a bit around the 500rwhp longevity of stock LS1 engines, etc.

What is it exactly that you and your felch-buddy over there are trying so poorly to explain?

Comment

Your car doesn't have a rev limit? Most of us cannot afford a $20,000 long block, so yes, there are rev limits.

Comment

Oh, the world's fastest mile car is a factory stock GT? That's impressive. You're a fucking moron.
                        Where did I say that?

Lol.. Youre a fucking moron, because you can't read.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

• Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          It must not be because they wanted to keep the playing field level or anything. Riddle me this, geniusitis, how is a naturally aspirated DOHC 4.6L Cobra engine going to beat a 400ci engine with canted valve heads? It's not going to, that's how. Also, way to be a magazine mechanic, just like you are when you post as Mike, or 03shadow2v, whichever it is.
                          4.6 vs 6.0 lol

Hey cheesemaster, we are all 3 diferant people.

Comment

Oh, please tell me what "this" is about. It has drifted from super cars, to efficiency to standing miles, trailing off a bit around the 500rwhp longevity of stock LS1 engines, etc.

What is it exactly that you and your felch-buddy over there are trying so poorly to explain?
                            I just wanted to know why GM needed large engines to produce the same power as smaller ford v8s.

Comment

• When and why did me being from pilot point have anything to do with this?

Haha damn you guys are dumbass rat turds.

Comment

Your car doesn't have a rev limit? Most of us cannot afford a $20,000 long block, so yes, there are rev limits.
                                wow, you are dumb

I was talking about a rev limit.

When the competition engines are dynoed, they have to make max average horsepower up to a certain rpm.
                                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...
                                X